Getting new chainrings

Old March 2nd 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default Getting new chainrings

I have a 2004 Trek 5200 (this bike here --
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2004/archive/5200 ) with a double crankset,
53/39 rings on it.

Besides getting a new cassette, I also want to get new chainrings. Before I get
them I just want to make sure, my bike takes standard chainrings correct? 5
bolt 130mm BCD? I measured the distance between two adjacent bolts on the ring
and it was about 76mm which, according to this chart
(http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd ) means that I have a 130mm BCD.

J. Spaceman

Old March 2nd 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message
I have a 2004 Trek 5200 (this bike here --
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2004/archive/5200 ) with a double
crankset,
53/39 rings on it.

Besides getting a new cassette, I also want to get new chainrings.
Before I get
them I just want to make sure, my bike takes standard chainrings
correct? 5
bolt 130mm BCD? I measured the distance between two adjacent bolts on
the ring
and it was about 76mm which, according to this chart
(http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd ) means that I have a
130mm BCD.

J. Spaceman

Yes, you've got a 130mm bolt pattern on those cranks. You can use just
about anything for the inside chainring, but your choice of outside
chainring will have a significant effect on how well it shifts. I have
yet to find anything that works as well as the stock Shimano chainring.
TA isn't bad, but isn't quite as good either.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 2nd 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article ,
says...

I have a 2004 Trek 5200 (this bike here --
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2004/archive/5200 ) with a double
crankset,
53/39 rings on it.

Besides getting a new cassette, I also want to get new chainrings. Before

I get
them I just want to make sure, my bike takes standard chainrings

correct? 5
bolt 130mm BCD? I measured the distance between two adjacent bolts

on the ring
and it was about 76mm which, according to this chart
(http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd ) means that I have a

130mm BCD.

J. Spaceman

Definitely 130 BCD. And as the other poster stated, outer Shimano ring
will work best. And be the costliest.

Old March 2nd 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Rathmann

On Mar 1, 9:30*pm, RS wrote:

I also need to replace the outer 52-tooth chainring on my Shimano 600
cranks soon. I have a 50-tooth chainring that was the inner ring on
the Shimano 105 crankset on one of my other bikes for a fairly short
time. How bad would it be to use that chainring as a replacement for
the outer ring? The inner ring is a 39-tooth that is still in good
shape.
Old March 2nd 09, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Peter Rathmann" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 9:30 pm, RS wrote:

I also need to replace the outer 52-tooth chainring on my Shimano 600
cranks soon. I have a 50-tooth chainring that was the inner ring on
the Shimano 105 crankset on one of my other bikes for a fairly short
time. How bad would it be to use that chainring as a replacement for
the outer ring? The inner ring is a 39-tooth that is still in good
shape.
==================

Not sure what you're saying here. You mention a 50 tooth chainring that
had been an "inner" previously, but that doesn't seem too likely (inner
chainrings generally aren't made larger than about 45 or 46 teeth). Then
you mention a 39-tooth that's still in good shape. Perhaps you meant
that you have a 50/39 combo on the '105 and you'd like to use the 39t as
the inner for the '600 crank? That will likely work fine.

Old March 2nd 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Rathmann

On Mar 1, 9:30 pm, RS wrote:

I also need to replace the outer 52-tooth chainring on my Shimano 600
cranks soon. *I have a 50-tooth chainring that was the inner ring on
the Shimano 105 crankset on one of my other bikes for a fairly short
time. *How bad would it be to use that chainring as a replacement for
the outer ring? *The inner ring is a 39-tooth that is still in good
shape.
==================

Not sure what you're saying here. You mention a 50 tooth chainring that
had been an "inner" previously, but that doesn't seem too likely (inner
chainrings generally aren't made larger than about 45 or 46 teeth). Then
you mention a 39-tooth that's still in good shape. Perhaps you meant
that you have a 50/39 combo on the '105 and you'd like to use the 39t as
the inner for the '600 crank?

No, you had it right the first time. One of my bikes came with
Shimano 105 cranks with a 50-tooth inner and 60-tooth outer. That
didn't give a wide enough range so I replaced the 50 with a 42-tooth
inner. So I still have the 50-tooth ring with very little wear.

The other bike has a Shimano 600 crankset with 39-tooth inner and 52-
tooth outer rings. The 52-tooth started having chain skips at about
60 kmiles and I flipped it over to even out the wear on the teeth. It
now has an additional 40 kmiles and will soon be in need of
replacement. So I could buy a new 52 or 53-tooth outer ring or reuse
my 50-tooth one. The gearing would be adequate for me in either case
(I'm willing to coast if going too fast to spin the 50). Do you
foresee any problem in reusing the 50-tooth ring in the outer position?
Old March 3rd 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

On Mar 1, 9:30 pm, RS wrote:

[...]

You could re-cut the teeth with a die grinder, see how many miles
they'd last till the profile disappeared.
TJ
Old March 3rd 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 20:39:30 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

[...]

I was considering either Specialites TA or Stronglight CT2 rings. The
Stronglights are easy to find online, but I can't seem to find
anyplace in North America that sells Specialites TA. Anyone know?

J. Spaceman

Old March 3rd 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Send Andrew Muzi an email: http://www.yellowjersey.org/esoteric.html.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 3rd 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

wrote:
[...]

We sell TA.

http://www.vecchios.com

So does Andy Muzi and Peter White and I think Harris cyclery..probably
lots others.

TT chainrings - what set to use? cycledogg Racing 42 June 17th 07 04:50 PM
WTB: 116 BCD Chainrings David Marketplace 2 August 27th 05 11:27 PM
116 bcd Chainrings Scott Techniques 13 May 12th 05 02:30 PM
WTB Chainrings John Kulczycki Marketplace 1 March 24th 05 02:21 PM