Favorite wet-weather road brake pad?

Old March 2nd 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Favorite wet-weather road brake pad?

I'm doing more wet-weather riding than I'd like this season, and because
of the terrain I ride, I go through brake pads *very* quickly. Best
results so far have been KoolStop, which is thus the best all-around
brake pad I've used, period. But even so I'm still getting three
"challenging" rides out of a set (a typical ride for me will involve
two, possibly more, tough descents that require a lot of use of brakes
to keep your speed down in the rain).

Has anybody found something that worked better for them?

Ironically, the best, by far, have been the Bontrager cork-type pads
used with my Bontrager carbon wheels. No wear at all, decent stopping
power, and you never get any of that slippery slop that builds up. But I
don't intentionally subject $2500 wheels to really nasty conditions. But
I believe it's that slippery-slop that builds up that causes the
problems, acting like sandpaper to the rim and keeping the rubber from
being in good contact with the rim.

Thanks-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 2nd 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 1, 11:48*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
[...]

koolstops have been dollar-for-dollar the best pad I've used. One
thing I did to maximize life was readjust the pad angle as they wore,
because I like a nice progressive touch then grab, like a good pinch-
a more severe angle than 3%-5% or so they recommend. I helps to use a
tooth bursh and brush off the grime after a rain ride helped kelp the
rubber a bit squishy- plus you need to check and make sure you haven't
worn down to the aluminum interior.
Old March 2nd 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_3_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

what is your objective? being kind to rims or retaining your braking
ability?

for the latter, campy pads are the best. by far. i think koolstop
suck, not only because they still pick up grit, but because when wet,
like in real rain, they simply don't stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/101935519/

Old March 2nd 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jwbinpdx

On Mar 1, 8:48*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
I'm doing more wet-weather riding than I'd like this season, and because
of the terrain I ride, I go through brake pads *very* quickly. Best
results so far have been KoolStop, which is thus the best all-around
brake pad I've used, period. But even so I'm still getting three
"challenging" rides out of a set (a typical ride for me will involve
two, possibly more, tough descents that require a lot of use of brakes
to keep your speed down in the rain).

If you're spending that much time in the rain, you need a rain bike.
Get a Portland or a Poprad (out of stock) and use discs. Throw some
Conti Four Seasons on it and beat your buddies down the hills. You
can also use some real fenders and skip the faux clip ons. Let me know
if you find magical wet weather brake shoes, because I would like
some. BTW, how long are your down hills? Three rides? That's
unnatural break pad wear. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 2nd 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"jwbinpdx" wrote in message
[...]

=============

Jay: Trust me, if there was room in the garage, both my son and I would
have Portlands! That's a great bike not just for wet weather but touring
as well. Kind of a do-it-all utility bike, and the bike that made me
stop thinking disc brakes were silly on road bikes.

As for the descents, coming down most grades isn't much of an issue,
because you don't have to be on them constantly. The grade that
consistently does them in is Kings Mtn, a descent of 4.34 miles with
very few places you can allow yourself to get any speed (when wet) and
more than a few technical corners (banked the wrong way, decreasing
radius, that sort of thing).

My winter tires are either the GP 4 Seasons you mentioned or the
Bontrager Race X-Lite "AC" (All Conditions). I didn't think I'd like the
Bontragers but so far, they're giving me great service. Everyone getting
flats on my rides but me. Typically I get close to zero flats anyway,
with the exception being rides in the rain.

Old March 2nd 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]
Jay: Trust me, if there was room in the garage, both my son and I would
have Portlands![...]

GARAGE? GARAGE?

Why not keep the bicycles in the spare bedroom, living room or primary
bedroom?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 2nd 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jwbinpdx

On Mar 1, 10:07*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"jwbinpdx" wrote in message

[...]

By the way, the Salmon Kool Stops are still the preferred wet weather
pad around here, but I'll see if any of the locals have found
something better.

Sort of OT, but the flip side of the recent thread on touring bikes
and what you do if one breaks in the middle of nowhere was my Saturday
ride (lots of high wind, little rain). I flatted on our Skyline while
riding alone, and I think two cars and three or four cyclists asked
if I needed help. It was very sweet, but I felt like putting up a
road sign saying "no help needed." -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 2nd 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 1, 10:48 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
[...]

Koolstop black has always been the best balance of wear and stopping
power for my more modest riding--albeit done in every sort of
wearther.

As you have the advantage of getting bro deals on gear--if I were you,
I'd simply reimagineer the front end of your bike. Cross fork, BB7
road brake, and a new front disc hub shouldn't run you more than a
couple hundred bux if you play your cards right. Smarter and lighter
than a Portland.
Old March 2nd 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]
Jay: Trust me, if there was room in the garage, both my son and I
would have Portlands![...]

GARAGE? GARAGE?

Why not keep the bicycles in the spare bedroom, living room or primary
bedroom?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Tom: There are already bikes in the main hallway, living room and entry
hall. Would you expect anything else?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 3rd 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

why sure prep rim surfaces with CRC belt conditioner. clean with
thinner then CHOH, spray CRC and donut breath it LET DRY spray pads

when unclean wipe with Isopropyl. when totally trashed remove with
thinner am repeat