Favorite wet-weather road brake pad?

Old March 3rd 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick L Plate

Default Favorite wet-weather road brake pad?

On 2 Mar, 16:55, wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:30*am, jwbinpdx wrote:

On Mar 1, 10:07*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"jwbinpdx" wrote in message

On Mar 1, 8:48 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I'm doing more wet-weather riding than I'd like this season, and
because
of the terrain I ride, I go through brake pads *very* quickly. Best
results so far have been KoolStop, which is thus the best all-around
brake pad I've used, period. But even so I'm still getting three
"challenging" rides out of a set (a typical ride for me will involve
two, possibly more, tough descents that require a lot of use of brakes
to keep your speed down in the rain).

*If you're spending that much time in the rain, you need a rain bike.
Get a Portland or a Poprad (out of stock) and use discs. Throw some
Conti Four Seasons on it and beat your buddies down the hills. *You
can also use some real fenders and skip the faux clip ons. Let me know
if you find magical wet weather brake shoes, because I would like
some. *BTW, how long are your down hills? *Three rides? *That's
unnatural break pad wear. -- Jay Beattie.

=============

Jay: Trust me, if there was room in the garage, both my son and I would
have Portlands! That's a great bike not just for wet weather but touring
as well. Kind of a do-it-all utility bike, and the bike that made me
stop thinking disc brakes were silly on road bikes.

As for the descents, coming down most grades isn't much of an issue,
because you don't have to be on them constantly. The grade that
consistently does them in is Kings Mtn, a descent of 4.34 miles with
very few places you can allow yourself to get any speed (when wet) and
more than a few technical corners (banked the wrong way, decreasing
radius, that sort of thing).

My winter tires are either the GP 4 Seasons you mentioned or the
Bontrager Race X-Lite "AC" (All Conditions). I didn't think I'd like the
Bontragers but so far, they're giving me great service. Everyone getting
flats on my rides but me. Typically I get close to zero flats anyway,
with the exception being rides in the rain.

By the way, the Salmon Kool Stops are still the preferred wet weather
pad around here, but I'll see if any of the locals have found
something better.

Sort of OT, but the flip side of the recent thread on touring bikes
and what you do if one breaks in the middle of nowhere was my Saturday
ride (lots of high wind, little rain). *I flatted on our Skyline while
riding alone, and I think two cars and three or four cyclists asked
if *I needed help. *It was very sweet, but I felt like putting up a
road sign saying "no help needed." -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

it's worse when you stop for a pee...need help ? no.

Bicycle cape. The real one.
TJ