Help me write research paper on bicycling?

Old November 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Help me write research paper on bicycling?

I'm taking a college level English class at local
community college.

I'm thinking abt writing my final research paper on
some aspect of bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a
"thesis" which means an argument or statement.

Any ideas?
Old November 12th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

anonymous writes:

I'm taking a college level English class at local community college.

I'm thinking about writing my final research paper on some aspect of
bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a "thesis" which means
an argument or statement.

Any ideas?

Make sure you put your name on your paper or you won't get a grade.

Pick a subject that benefits bicyclists... like why is riding uphill
at a given power harder than riding in flatland with the same output.

You must be aware that the best TT riders are often not the best hill
climbers.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 12th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat in TX

wrote in message
I'm taking a college level English class at local
community college.

I'm thinking abt writing my final research paper on
some aspect of bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a
"thesis" which means an argument or statement.

Any ideas?

How about comparing different countries and their use of bicycles vis a vis
education levels, income levels, population density, economic benefits to
riders--something like that. Or, how about the trends toward cities becoming
more bicycle-friendly? What are those trends? Do they rely on the price of
gasoline, the availability of safe routes to work?

Here's an example: the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth are building
bicycle trails to connect the two cities. Fort Worth has the Trinity Trails
system and is branching out eastward towards Arlington, which has its own
trails---and the plans are for Dallas to link up with the easternmost edge
of the Arlington trails. One of these days a bicyclist will be able to go
from Dallas to Fort Worth solely on separate bicycle trails. How is this
being funded? Why is this being funded? Are the local people solidly behind
the effort? Who will use it--commuters or recreational cyclists (and joggers
and rollerbladers, etc.)

I think you will find more theses concerning bicycles (and of a timely
manner) if you somehow link it to energy independence, economic advantages,
and physical advantages for the population. Keep in mind that you have to
present something a professor won't yawn over. Sure, you can do a paper on
the relative energy expended concerning using wheels with flat spokes or
round spokes or the perfect angle at which to stand while riding up a hill,
but that'll put the prof to sleep in a second. Try to tie your thesis in to
something that is of interest to a larger group of people...who knows, maybe
you could even present it to your town's city planners!

Good luck.

Pat in TX

Old November 13th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

The helmet wars provide plenty of controversy, with good arguments on each
side of the question of mandatory helmet use.

Old November 13th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:

At 49? τΏΤ¬ ..... going for a degree?

yep
Old November 13th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
William Asher

wrote:

I'm taking a college level English class at local
community college.

I'm thinking abt writing my final research paper on
some aspect of bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a
"thesis" which means an argument or statement.

Any ideas?

If you're also getting a psych minor you could do the two-fer and
investigate the possible combinations of psychological and social factors
relating to bicyclists in general and bicyclists who post to usenet in
particular that result in there being no usable suggestions in response to
your query.

--
Bill Asher
Old November 13th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

wrote:

I'm taking a college level English class at local community
college.

I'm thinking abt writing my final research paper on some aspect of
bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a "thesis" which
means an argument or statement.

Any ideas?

If you're also getting a psych minor you could do the two-fer and
investigate the possible combinations of psychological and social
factors relating to bicyclists in general and bicyclists who post to
usenet in particular that result in there being no usable suggestions

Asher's law of Usenet zero-sum gain?
Old November 13th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
William Asher

Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

wrote:

I'm taking a college level English class at local community
college.

I'm thinking abt writing my final research paper on some aspect of
bicycles and bicycling.

I am having a bit of a problem coming up with a "thesis" which
means an argument or statement.

Any ideas?

If you're also getting a psych minor you could do the two-fer and
investigate the possible combinations of psychological and social
factors relating to bicyclists in general and bicyclists who post to
usenet in particular that result in there being no usable suggestions

Asher's law of Usenet zero-sum gain?

Kind of. I think of it in terms of usenet as the hive mind. Pretty much
anything known can be found here. However, in order to find it you have to
listen to endless hours of buzzing from all the drones.

Maybe a more succint way to state that is that it's not called usefulnet.

Yeah, I know: PKB.

--
Bill Asher

My Halifax Trip Write-up flyer Unicycling 19 October 12th 06 12:35 AM
Wonder who Lance got to write it? Bill C Racing 2 June 1st 06 03:29 AM
My write up. Marty Australia 12 September 22nd 05 08:45 AM
Reporters should *write* about what they *really* know about only - From SI jj-ng Racing 47 July 20th 05 06:17 AM
Write to your MP about the BHIT bill. David Martin UK 3 January 16th 04 07:44 PM