can['t wear the chain out

Old July 20th 19, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default can['t wear the chain out

Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette? I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

Deacon Mark
Old July 20th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 11:06:02 PM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

Mark you are just like me. Well, I'm a little older, ride maybe a bit faster and I don't do that soaking routine but I also ride most of the times on the flats and am very easy on my stuff. I have to admit though that 6000 miles on a Conti 4000SII is remarkable. Most of the times I replace my chain and tires out of precaution after 8000 km (chain) and 4500 km (rear tire)

Lou
Old July 20th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 4:06:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Good gosh Lou how fast do you ride and how old are you? I have to admit I am runner first but last 5 years have decided my running legs are gone but still go very slow. On the bike though I can keep up with fellows 1/2 my age..

Deacon Mark
Old July 20th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/20/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
[...]

An 11 chain at 6800 miles without wear is either a
measurement error or divine intervention.

I'm not going to say it's _not_ divine intervention, but I'd
replace the chain.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 20th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

Ok Andrew I am going to replace the chain. On the side if I make a trip up your way to check out the digs can you set me on a good route to ride? Of course you mind if go through the place an see what looks cool I will probably won't drive any exactly crazy.

Deacon Mark
Old July 21st 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 10:06:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Man, you got it good, so don't look your luck in the mouth and try to count its teeth. Years ago, I joined the Thorn forum because it is also the premier anglophone Rohloff forum. Those guys were speaking casually of getting 10,000 miles on a chain and maybe trying for more, and I was getting a 1000 miles not on a chain but on a whole Shimano Nexus transmission group of crankset, chain and sprocket. Eventually I worked myself up to near enough 3000 miles on a chain, and I'm pretty puffed about it, but I'm never going to get the chain mileages of some of the other Rohloff owners -- and I can't say it bothers me. I get tyre mileage on my Big Apples that leave most guys with similar bikes with lesser tyres for dead, like a set of tyres I replaced at 8500km/over 5000 miles when they were halfworn, simply because it was convenient for me to replace them then. I wouldn't complain even if that was the Big Apple's full wear, because by comparison to the less than a thousand miles I used to get on the cheap tyres supplied by my LBS in the days before I educated myself and started shopping German components by preference, 5K miles is like a gift.

Andre Jute
If you look a gift camel in the mouth, it will spit in your eye
Old July 21st 19, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:43:53 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/20/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know how long my chains last (they're 8 speed style) but I very much
doubt I get 6800 miles. But if an accurate measurement shows they are worn less
than 1/2% (or less than 1/16" per foot) is there really a reason to replace
them?

Mark describes his terrain as very flat. Might that be the reason for long
mileage?

And if worse came to worse and the chain caused cogs to wear, ISTM that only
a few might be worn, since Mark probably spends most of his time in only a few
cogs. Perhaps only those could be replaced - if you could find a source of
replacements.

Admittedly, I'm just guessing.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 14:06:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Ok I have at least 6800 miles on my 11 speed Shimano Ultegra chain. I keep it pretty good take it off after maybe 1000-1500 miles and soak in OMS and such. I don't ride in the rain at least on purpose. The cornfields of Illinois are flat so no real climbs. I measured my chain with machinist rule shows less than 1/16 or close in 1 foot.

Sheldon advises that if the elongation of the chain is 1/16" or less
in a 12 inch length than keep riding.

So I would just keep doing whatever you are doing and just keep
riding. Eventually the "stretch" will reach 1/16th inch and than I'd
examine the sprockets, there probably won't be much wear at this
point, and change the chain, and keep riding.

I might point out that on a oil well drilling rig where a chain drive
might be transmitting 1.000 H.P, or more, nobody changes a chain
"just because", they change it when it is worn :-)

I just think keep riding it the bike shifts flawless. But then maybe another voice says, no just put a new chain on they don't last that long something must be amuck. No skipping and I am not a slow rider I general run 50 mile routes at 17-19.5 mph, I no kid at 58, but can chains last that long? Finally I notice I am running Conti GP4000's II and they have 6000 miles on them and not worn out yet.

So would you all put a new chain on I don't see any wear on cassette? I normally get 5K on chains but wow this has me thinking.

BTW the 57 miles this morning even early were brutally hot here. I have drank at least 5 liters of liquid in some form or another and not even had a beer yet....that is coming soon.

Deacon Mark

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 21st 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

As an addendum to the above, Andrew states that "An 11 chain at 6800
miles without wear is either a measurement error or divine
intervention."

Thus I would be sure that my chain measuring technique is correct.
Tension of some sort must be applied to the chain when measuring to
ensure that any play in the links is taken up and the chain is at its
maximum length. Some people hang the chain up and hook a weight to the
bottom link and measure the chain while it is hanging.

After all, divine intervention is a rather rare phenomena :-0

Old July 21st 19, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 8:32:44 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

As an addendum to the above, Andrew states that "An 11 chain at 6800
miles without wear is either a measurement error or divine
intervention."

Thus I would be sure that my chain measuring technique is correct.
Tension of some sort must be applied to the chain when measuring to
ensure that any play in the links is taken up and the chain is at its
maximum length. Some people hang the chain up and hook a weight to the
bottom link and measure the chain while it is hanging.

I use a 12" steel ruler. I have the bike on the ground, not on a workstand, and use a little wedge in the brake lever to hold the brake on. Then I apply some
force to the pedal, so as to try to drive the bike forward. As I hold that
tension on the chain, I measure it.

I suppose a 13" ruler might be handier, since I have to eyeball that extra 1/16"
but 13" rulers are hard to find.

Hmm. Maybe I should make a gauge that's exactly 12 1/16" long...

- Frank Krygowski

Chain Wear Jim UK 10 September 19th 07 10:25 PM
Chain Wear Noel UK 12 October 14th 06 07:01 PM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 09:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM