What are you supposed to oil on bike?

Old December 15th 04, 01:12 AM

Default What are you supposed to oil on bike?

I lost my manual. Also, my gearshift lever floats back to the highest
gear unless i hold gear shift lever in place. Also, i can't find what
is a good air pressure for tires. i have a mountain bike with 26 by
1.95 tires. I'm riding on gravel roads in the mountains. Thanks.

Old December 15th 04, 01:15 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote in message
ups.com...
I lost my manual. Also, my gearshift lever floats back to the highest
gear unless i hold gear shift lever in place. Also, i can't find what
is a good air pressure for tires. i have a mountain bike with 26 by
1.95 tires. I'm riding on gravel roads in the mountains. Thanks.

Sounds like you have thumb shifters. There should be a thumbscrew or a flat
or philips-head screw in the center of the shifter... tighten that down a
bit, and it should hold.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 15th 04, 03:09 AM
peet9471

Clean out your shifter pods and then spray in some dry lube (WD40). Oil
everything you don't want to rust or stick. Just be sure to clean it
before and wipe it off afterwards. As far as air pressure is
concerned, it's written on the sides. Make sure the bead doesn't come
off the rim when you put in the max amount. If you need more surface
area under your tires, buy some bigger tires.
Ride Hard

--
peet9471

Old December 15th 04, 03:48 AM
psycholist

Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
ups.com...

Old December 16th 04, 08:20 PM

my psychic advisors at palm beach Bicyclery and Bike Rout fort myers
pointedly told me that most new bikes up into the $3k range(money not
being an indicator of intelligence in florida) are heading toward the
dumpster after a year or so
due to a complete lack of lubrication awareness.
why is it making that noise?
why indead!

Old December 17th 04, 12:27 AM

lube is solvent.
solvent evaporates
leaving bearings dry
bringing tears to
cheops eyes

Old December 17th 04, 12:43 AM
Cyclist14

HI,
I just got a Mountainsmith Cairn and this is my mantience program.

1) Oil Derailluers and then wipe off excess

2) Oil Disc Brake Mechanism (1 or 2 Drops per)

3) Oil chain by applying oil to a cloth and running the chain through
it.

4)Test brakes,derailuers,shocks and check wheel trueness
(if its off by about 1/2 an Inch it gets trued)

5) Inflate tires to 40-60 PSI

6) Roam the trails

--
Cyclist14

I am homeschooled and have plenty of time to ride

Old December 17th 04, 04:06 AM
novice

Thanks for the answers. Tightening the screw on shifter did indeed
solve the floating problem. My tires are at 10 psi presently. I only
found a 32 on my tire. That seems like a good inflation but people take
about 100 psi plus. I recall my manual said min 90 but my tires did not
rotate at that pressure. my tires are 26 high and 50mm fat. i am 170
lbs.

have been running my tires at 10 lbs. I realize this is low but it
seemed about right. My tires are 26 inches tall and 50 mm wide.
My manual said a min pressure of 90. My tires don't rotate when
inflated that much. the rim expands. I weigh 170 lbs. There is a 32 but
other than that there is no mention of tire pressure. I was thinking of
maybe 60 psi in back and 55 in front.

sheldonbrown.com was a good reference for tire pressures

Also, i have no idea how high my seat or handle bars should be. This is
a mountain bike. I'm riding on gravel roads in the mountains.

As well, is there anything i should be greasing or oiling? I know i am
supposed to brush my chain and give it a light oiling and then wipe oil
off.