AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 9th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 11:40:44 +0000, Ivan Shmakov
wrote:

I saw no need to cool my drinks, even though the temperature
here in summer does reach 80-100 F. (One trip this summer,
the water felt almost hot. Never thought of it as an issue.)

My father was extremely opposed to chilled drinks while working hard
in hot weather -- but he did like for the water we brought to him to
be at well-bottom temperature.

I use chilled water as a hydration aid. When I've poured a quarter
bottle of melted ice, I'm strongly motivated to drink it up before it
gets warm. (Since I nearly always insulate one pannier with
newspapers, keeping chilled water cold is rarely extra trouble.)

But hot water from parking in the sun goes down too. Not too often,
since there is usually shade, or I take my bottle in with me. Once,
long ago and far away, I drank a bottle of water I'd drawn from a hose
that had been in the sun several hours -- not only well above ambient,
but stinky.

But I rejected[1] water from a drinking fountain that never stopped
running hot, and thereafter gave up refilling at that fountain even
though sporadic checks never again caught it above ambient. It's only
ten more minutes to a fountain that I'm *sure* is potable.

[1] I did fill my spare bottle in case the half-bottle didn't last
ten minutes, but I dumped it at the next stop.

Won't be long before I start putting bottles in the pannier to keep
them warm. I wore a long-sleeved T-shirt under my thicker cotton
jersey when I went to the grocery for cream cheese today, and it
wasn't quite enough.

Also found a small, thick sirloin steak in the quick sale bin, and
baked it an hour at three-fifty F after rubbing it with soybean oil,
with potatoes and vegetables seasoned with peanut oil in a separate
skillet. We both liked it very much; I ate the juicy gristle, he ate
the dry filets between the streaks of gristle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net