Cannondale Question..........

Old May 10th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
EADGBE

Default Cannondale Question..........

I found a used Cannondale bicycle in top condition, but I am having
trouble finding out which model it is.

I think I have narrowed it down to two possibilities: SR300 and SR500.

However, in every photo I can find of these two models, the bikes look
identical.

What are the differences between these two Cannondale models?

The bike I have has 27" rims and a Suntour Cyclone II mechanism. The
rims were made by Specialized, so I don't think they are original, but
there is a black plastic disc on the hub of the back wheel, just
behind the largest gear, that says "Cannondale" so maybe the rims are
original. I can provide more technical details if needed.

Many thanks in advance.....
Old May 10th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

On May 10, 4:59 am, EADGBE wrote:
I found a used Cannondale bicycle in top condition, but I am having
trouble finding out which model it is.

I think I have narrowed it down to two possibilities: SR300 and SR500.

However, in every photo I can find of these two models, the bikes look
identical.

What are the differences between these two Cannondale models?

The bike I have has 27" rims and a Suntour Cyclone II mechanism. The
rims were made by Specialized, so I don't think they are original, but
there is a black plastic disc on the hub of the back wheel, just
behind the largest gear, that says "Cannondale" so maybe the rims are
original. I can provide more technical details if needed.

Many thanks in advance.....

Who cares? Just ride it. What model a used bike is means almost
nothing.
Phil Brown
Old May 10th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

philcycles wrote:
On May 10, 4:59 am, EADGBE wrote:

I found a used Cannondale bicycle in top condition, but I am having
trouble finding out which model it is.

I think I have narrowed it down to two possibilities: SR300 and SR500.

However, in every photo I can find of these two models, the bikes look
identical.

What are the differences between these two Cannondale models?

The bike I have has 27" rims and a Suntour Cyclone II mechanism. The
rims were made by Specialized, so I don't think they are original, but
there is a black plastic disc on the hub of the back wheel, just
behind the largest gear, that says "Cannondale" so maybe the rims are
original. I can provide more technical details if needed.

Many thanks in advance.....

Who cares? Just ride it. What model a used bike is means almost
nothing.
Phil Brown

well, unless you're trying to justify the purchase to someone.

nate

(but honey, this was a $1500 bike when it was new! I couldn't say no!)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 10th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
EADGBE

On May 10, 1:22 pm, philcycles wrote:

Who cares? Just ride it. What model a used bike is means almost
nothing.
Phil Brown

Um, is simple curiosity a good enough reason to want to know the
model?

Didn't think it was a big issue, Mr. Brown.

Jeezus...........................

Old May 10th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 10, 10:33*am, EADGBE wrote:
On May 10, 1:22 pm, philcycles wrote:

Who cares? Just ride it. What model a used bike is means almost
nothing.
Phil Brown

Um, is simple curiosity a good enough reason to want to know the
model?

Didn't think it was a big issue, Mr. Brown.

Jeezus...........................

Here is a site with the Cannondale catalogs: http://www.vintagecannondale.com/catalog.html
Knock yourself out. It looks like you have some non-standard wheels
in what was intended to be a 700c set-up -- unless you have one of the
ST frames. The deal is that all of the racing bikes were built around
the top of the line frame, which I rode for 20+ years until it finally
fell apart. -- Jay Beattie.
Old May 10th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
EADGBE

THANK YOU, Jay!

Because of the link you kindly provided, I have been able to determine
that I have a 1985 SR300.

This bike looks almost NEW. I paid a whopping $5.00 for it.

I knew I had gotten a fantastic deal, but I just wanted to know what
model I had gotten for my five bucks.

It's nice to know that there are HELPFUL people on the 'net.

Thanks once again, and have a great weekend.
Old May 10th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

EADGBE wrote:
THANK YOU, Jay!

Because of the link you kindly provided, I have been able to determine
that I have a 1985 SR300.

This bike looks almost NEW. I paid a whopping $5.00 for it.

I knew I had gotten a fantastic deal, but I just wanted to know what
model I had gotten for my five bucks.

It's nice to know that there are HELPFUL people on the 'net.

Thanks once again, and have a great weekend.

Any Cannondale for $5 is a good deal. Let me be the first to say that
you suck.

nate

(has Cannondale, paid more than $5 for it.)

Old May 11th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

EADGBE wrote:

I found a used Cannondale bicycle in top condition, but I am having
trouble finding out which model it is.

I think I have narrowed it down to two possibilities: SR300 and SR500.

However, in every photo I can find of these two models, the bikes look
identical.

What are the differences between these two Cannondale models?

Early Cannondales-- before around 1990-- all shared the same frames
for any one kind of bike. Only the parts varied. Even now, several
different models within the same line will share the same frame, with
only the model number decal distinguishing between them.

Cannondales from the age of Suntour sometimes had their model number
engraved or imprinted on one of the seat stays near the seat
cluster.

Those frames (the ones with oval seatstays) are among the stiffest and
strongest bicycle frames ever brought to market by any manufacturer
for any purpose.

Chalo