Pass-through spokes

Old March 4th 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry[_3_]

Default Pass-through spokes

On last Saturday's ride I noticed someone's wheels (I don't remember the
brand) had the nipples at the hub instead of the rim. The spokes were twice
as long as normal, and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then
back down to the hub. Are there any advantages to this, or is it just a
novelty?

Barry

Old March 4th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

On Mar 4, 7:10*am, "Barry" wrote:
On last Saturday's ride I noticed someone's wheels (I don't remember the
brand) had the nipples at the hub instead of the rim. *The spokes were twice
as long as normal, and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then
back down to the hub. *Are there any advantages to this, or is it just a
novelty?

Barry

OMG, duud, stay away from that guy! Bet the rims are carbon! He
can't stop and he isn't getting any benefit from the wheels. And
pretty soon you'll succumb to the mfr's nefarious plan and be riding
them and then you'll be screwed too!

Just squinch up your eyes and shout (in your head) MA2 MA2 MA2! Do
this until you no longer remember your name.

Whew! Man, that was close.

D'ohBoy
Old March 4th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 4, 7:10*am, "Barry" wrote:
On last Saturday's ride I noticed someone's wheels (I don't remember the
brand) had the nipples at the hub instead of the rim. *The spokes were twice
as long as normal, and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then
back down to the hub. *Are there any advantages to this, or is it just a
novelty?

Barry

Don't know about the spokes passing through the rim and back to the
hub description. But the theoretical advantage of putting nipples at
the hub is it eliminates the elbow on the spoke at the hub. The head
of the spoke is in the rim. The spoke is completely straight with the
head being a bulb. And the threads are on a straight part of the
spoke at the hub. No elbow in the spoke to break. Completely
straight spoke. Supposedly by eliminating the weak elbow where spokes
always break at when they break, the straight spoke is stronger.
Old March 4th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 4, 7:48 am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:10 am, "Barry" wrote:

On last Saturday's ride I noticed someone's wheels (I don't remember the
brand) had the nipples at the hub instead of the rim. The spokes were twice
as long as normal, and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then
back down to the hub. Are there any advantages to this, or is it just a
novelty?

Barry

OMG, duud, stay away from that guy! Bet the rims are carbon! He
can't stop and he isn't getting any benefit from the wheels. And
pretty soon you'll succumb to the mfr's nefarious plan and be riding
them and then you'll be screwed too!

Just squinch up your eyes and shout (in your head) MA2 MA2 MA2! Do
this until you no longer remember your name.

Whew! Man, that was close.

Tread carefully, heretic, lest Jobst the Great and Mighty is moved to
descend from Mt. Brandt and smite your head from your body!! ;-)

Old March 4th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coaster

wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:10 am, "Barry" wrote:
[...]

Not completely straight: '[...] The spokes were twice as long as normal,
and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then back down to the
hub. [...]'. Isn't such spoke bent (U-shaped) 'inside the rim?

--
PoZdR
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
Old March 4th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Coaster" wrote: Not completely straight: '[...] The spokes were twice as
long as normal,
and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then back down to the
hub. [...]'. Isn't such spoke bent (U-shaped) 'inside the rim?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, that's the OP's description, but is it correct?

Aside: If I wanted to design a wheel with bent, double-length spokes, I
think I would make them V shaped, and put the nipples at the rim. Hey, how
about putting nipples at both ends, and eliminating the bend entirely? Or
putting radial threaded holes in the hub?

Old March 4th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry[_3_]

Not completely straight: '[...] The spokes were twice as long as normal, and
went from the hub, completely through the rim, then back down to the hub.
[...]'. Isn't such spoke bent (U-shaped) 'inside the rim?

Yes - that's what it looked like to me, and the rider confirmed that.

If I see her again Saturday, I'll take a closer look.

Old March 4th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Barry wrote:
On last Saturday's ride I noticed someone's wheels (I don't remember the
brand) had the nipples at the hub instead of the rim. The spokes were twice
as long as normal, and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then
back down to the hub. Are there any advantages to this, or is it just a
novelty?

Fraternity pledges may be seen in the 2d week of September wearing their
clothes backwards or inside out. I draw no conclusion from that either.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 4th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Barry wrote:
Not completely straight: '[...] The spokes were twice as long as normal, and
went from the hub, completely through the rim, then back down to the hub.
[...]'. Isn't such spoke bent (U-shaped) 'inside the rim?

Yes - that's what it looked like to me, and the rider confirmed that.

If I see her again Saturday, I'll take a closer look.

It is OK to check out cycling hotties, but not to stare.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 4th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coaster

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Coaster" wrote: Not completely straight: '[...] The spokes were twice as
long as normal,
and went from the hub, completely through the rim, then back down to the
hub. [...]'. Isn't such spoke bent (U-shaped) 'inside the rim?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, that's the OP's description, but is it correct?

Aside: If I wanted to design a wheel with bent, double-length spokes, I
think I would make them V shaped, and put the nipples at the rim. Hey, how
about putting nipples at both ends, and eliminating the bend entirely? Or
putting radial threaded holes in the hub?

Not exactly but... :-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/samjuds...69087/sizes/l/

--
PoZdR