Great Steel Ride Across the Golden Gate Today

Old March 8th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

Default Great Steel Ride Across the Golden Gate Today

"Andre Jute" wrote: (clip) You're not one of these materials fascists, are
you, Leo?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. That was my impression of a news-group topic Fascist. I think a little
humor can be funny sometimes.

Old March 8th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_3_]

Sergio wrote:
On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:
Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

Sergio
Pisa

funny!
Old March 8th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Sergio wrote:
On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:
Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

Here you go:

"http://static.flickr.com/117/281387667_c7b19cf325.jpg?v=0"
Old March 8th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:38*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

*Chalo wrote:
Sergio wrote:

SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I reckon you should stick with tradition and ride a mule. *Mule is
real. *Wait, that doesn't rhyme. *Mule is kewl. *Yeah, that's the
ticket.

Chalo

Oh, if only you were joking...on the Greek island my father-in-law came
from, the older residential areas are built on a hill and with "streets"
so narrow that they are impassable to motorized vehicles*. To this day,
stuff like construction materials and other heavy loads are transported
for the last few hundred metres by donkey.

*I rode them on my bicycle once. This made me a lunatic, a terror to the
foot traffic, and I still had to CX-dismount a few times to cope with
stairs.

What's "CX-dismount"? Is that what us common people call "leg-over"?

Andre "The Prolerarian" Jute

"cyclocross-dismount." Yeah, it just means I got off my bike, but a
cyclocrosser will typically do so at running speed, run through the
unrideable obstacle at speed, and then remount without slowing down.

Old March 8th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

On Mar 8, 12:29 am, Sergio wrote:
On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:

Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

The so-called 'B.C. wheel.'

No pedals is totally real.
Old March 8th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_12_]

A Muzi wrote:
Well, Fabricius knew a thing or two about getting value for the
treasury! Seems pretty well made. For the first two millennia, anyway.
The 'no wheels during daylight' rule probably helped the break-in period
a bit.

My curiosity is piqued. What's the 'no wheels during daylight' rule?

Mark J.
Old March 8th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Back to your question:http://www.stonescyclery.com/about_us.html
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Dear Andrew & Sergio,

Wrought-iron tension members, cast-iron compression members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_bridge#Bollman_truss

Suitable bicycle with charcoal-iron spokes:

http://tinyurl.com/d7xmtb

Nice q-factor. Vest-pocket whistle for alerting pedestrians is
probably brass.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old March 8th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Mark wrote:
My curiosity is piqued. What's the 'no wheels during daylight' rule?

In the Republic and also Empire, Rome didn't allow wheeled vehicles into
the city during daylight hours. Maybe it was a suggestion from the Roman
Pedestrian Safety Committee? Wouldn't do to have some spoiled rich
teenager driving a chariot over the citizenry while reading a scroll.

Huh, that sounds vaguely familiar; much like my daily commute.
Old March 8th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan Becker

Sergio wrote:
On 8 Mar, 07:42, SMS wrote:
Did I mention that I prefer steel frames?

Lucky you!
What should we ride over bridges we still have, that the Romans built
with stone?

I'd ride one of these:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Dan Manly Man Becker