Obree and drugs

Old August 23rd 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CowPunk

Default Obree and drugs

Happened to catch the end of the Flying Scotsman on TV tonight. So I
wiki'd Obree to find out what he is doing now.

I found this statement interesting;
Obree said of his short professional career: "I still feel I was
robbed of part of my career. I was signed up to ride in the prologue
of the Tour back in 1995, but it was made very obvious to me I would
have to take drugs. I said no, no way, and I was sacked by my team. So
there I was, 11 years later, sitting there waiting for the Tour
cyclists to come by, and something welled up in me. I feel I was
robbed by a lot of these *******s taking drugs. I also hate the way
that people think anyone who has ever achieved anything on a bike must
have been taking drugs. I was surprised how resentful I felt when I
was in Paris. It had obviously been simmering away in there for years.
That's something new I'll have to talk to my therapist about."[6]

He said in L'Équipe: "In my opinion, 99 percent of riders at élite
level take EPO or a similar drug, not particularly to dope themselves
but to be at the same level as the others. And I find that rather
sad."[17][n 4]

His web site says: "AND by the way, I never took drugs to improve my
performance at any time as has been happening in the sport for a long
time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if
anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. In other words, if you
buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later."[18]
Old August 23rd 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
CowPunk wrote:

[...]

Obree is the only guy on the planet who was passed over
for promotion in favor of a cheat. Fifteen years and he
cannot get over it. No wonder everybody picks on him:
he is easy. Graham, do what the rest of us do: toughen
up, **** on the *******s, and walk away. Living well is
the best revenge.

--
Michael Press
Old August 23rd 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

========
"CowPunk" wrote in message
[...]

=======

I'm beginning to feel like Forest Gump.

I was there, with Graeme, at the 2006 Tour de France.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChainRea...59054594932754
for a photo I took of Graeme with the group I was traveling with for the
'Tour. He had quite the story to tell, although he probably could have
told it better with fewer beers under his belt.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 23rd 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
snogfest

On Aug 23, 3:00*pm, CowPunk wrote:
[...]

if I had $1 for every rider that said they did't race (or gave up)
because everyone was doping

accusing basically every rider on le Tour of doping is a bit immature.

The best (only) revenge is success.
Old August 23rd 10, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
drmofe

On Aug 23, 4:45*pm, Michael Press wrote:

Obree is the only guy on the planet who was passed over
for promotion in favor of a cheat. Fifteen years and he
cannot get over it. No wonder everybody picks on him:
he is easy. Graham, do what the rest of us do: toughen
up, **** on the *******s, and walk away. Living well is
the best revenge.

"Harden up" - that's awesome advice to give to someone who suffered
from depression.
What would you have done if you had happened upon him in the barn?
Told him to just get on with it or helped him kick the stool away?
Old August 23rd 10, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Cicero Venatio

if I had $1 for every rider that said they didn't race (or gave up)
because everyone was doping

-----------
Now where should I send my dollar?
Old August 23rd 10, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
snogfest

On Aug 24, 12:12*am, Cicero Venatio wrote:
if I had $1 for every rider that said they didn't race (or gave up)
because everyone was doping

-----------
Now where should I send my dollar?

good manners prevent

It's just a cop-out.

I hate cheats. But I have no time for whiner's and psychic omnipotent
types, they are just as bad as the dopers.
Evidence, proper hard evidence, with a chain, and procedures and
documentation. Not "I saw someone take something" or some story in
some tabloid.

I like the big investigation going on the USA, more power to it.

I was a big fan of Jan Ullrich, he didn't exactly finish with his
reputation intact.

My biggest disappointment would be if our most famous cyclist, Sarah
Ulmer, was found to be a doper. That would suck.
Old August 23rd 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
snogfest

On Aug 23, 6:36*pm, drmofe wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:45*pm, Michael Press wrote:

Obree is the only guy on the planet who was passed over
for promotion in favor of a cheat. Fifteen years and he
cannot get over it. No wonder everybody picks on him:
he is easy. Graham, do what the rest of us do: toughen
up, **** on the *******s, and walk away. Living well is
the best revenge.

"Harden up" - that's awesome advice to give to someone who suffered
from depression.
What would you have done if you had happened upon him in the barn?
Told him to just get on with it or helped him kick the stool away?

one of our most famous sports people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ9yRhCiLfA
this campaign has been amazing
Old August 23rd 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

When the god damn All Blacks start winning in rugby we will listen to
you fuggin kiwis but not until then.

Old August 23rd 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On Aug 23, 7:36*am, drmofe wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:45*pm, Michael Press wrote:

Obree is the only guy on the planet who was passed over
for promotion in favor of a cheat. Fifteen years and he
cannot get over it. No wonder everybody picks on him:
he is easy. Graham, do what the rest of us do: toughen
up, **** on the *******s, and walk away. Living well is
the best revenge.

"Harden up" - that's awesome advice to give to someone who suffered
from depression.

Well I agree - pull yourself together man, stiff upper lip and all
that! Actually, all you'd have to do is tell him he could only commit
suicide with a gun and then he'd set to cannibalising washing machines
to make the bestest possible one on the planet and get so tied up in
it he'd forget what he made it for :-)

Simples!

UD

Obree! Carl Sundquist[_3_] Racing 28 May 29th 09 11:31 PM
Obree! Carl Sundquist[_3_] Techniques 51 May 25th 09 10:00 PM
Obree...! Nige Danton UK 6 May 22nd 09 01:09 PM
Obree Robert Chung Racing 16 February 26th 05 01:18 PM
Obree Martyn Bolt UK 3 February 2nd 05 10:07 PM