Simitian Cell Phone Bill Goes to California Governor, Adds Bicycliststo Ban, Raises Fines

Old August 16th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

Default Simitian Cell Phone Bill Goes to California Governor, Adds Bicycliststo Ban, Raises Fines

Originally bicyclists were not covered by California's hands-free cell
phone law, but that will change if Governor Brown signs Simitian's bill
as expected.

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=165271&title=Texting%20or%2 0talking%20drivers%20facing%20tougher%20penalties

If you've ever tried using a Bluetooth headset while riding, you know
that they don't work all that well due to wind noise.

While there are several very good quality iPhone bicycle mounts, if you
have another smart phone you are stuck with funky universal mounts that
are usually not trustworthy.
Old August 16th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
damyth

On Aug 16, 10:10*am, SMS wrote:
Originally bicyclists were not covered by California's hands-free cell
phone law, but that will change if Governor Brown signs Simitian's bill
as expected.

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=165271&title=Tex...

If you've ever tried using a Bluetooth headset while riding, you know
that they don't work all that well due to wind noise.

While there are several very good quality iPhone bicycle mounts, if you
have another smart phone you are stuck with funky universal mounts that
are usually not trustworthy.

Are you retarded?

Are you advocating that cyclists (and drivers) should have the right
to talk hands-free? Perhaps that's why you feel foam lids make you
safe?

The fine is so inconsequential anyways that I doubt anyonem including
cops, will take it seriously, even when the bill becomes law.

Old August 16th 11, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Chalo

damyth wrote:

SMS wrote:

[...]

My main concern about things like this is ethical-- the presumption
that the burden of duty should be the same for the people who
unilaterally impose risk of harm upon others, and for those whom they
impose risk upon without consent.

But yes, riding distracted is dumb regardless what you distract
yourself with.

Chalo
Old August 16th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
SMS

On 8/16/2011 12:15 PM, Chalo wrote:

But yes, riding distracted is dumb regardless what you distract
yourself with.

The law is good, in a way, since it increases the fines for drivers and
it adds cyclists. Those that don't have a headset will be less likely to
be using their phone. But it does not address the fact that using a
headset does not mean that the driver is not distracted. Phone use while
driving should be banned entirely. Unfortunately there is no political
will to do that (though it is the case for drivers under 21 in California).

Unlike helmet laws, this law is intended to protect regular people from
stupid people--protecting dumb people from themselves is a side effect,
not the main focus.
Old August 16th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
jcdill

On 16/08/11 12:31 PM, SMS wrote:
On 8/16/2011 12:15 PM, Chalo wrote:

But yes, riding distracted is dumb regardless what you distract
yourself with.

The law is good, in a way, since it increases the fines for drivers and
it adds cyclists. Those that don't have a headset will be less likely to
be using their phone. But it does not address the fact that using a
headset does not mean that the driver is not distracted. Phone use while
driving should be banned entirely.

I have yet to see a properly conducted study that proves that using a
cell phone with a headset while driving is contributing to an increase
in traffic accidents in the Real World.

IMHO, the people who get involved in accidents while using their phones
because they got "distracted" are the same ones who were getting into
accidents before cell phones because they were distracted by changing
the radio station or CD in the CD player, by drinking their coffee, by
engaging in personal grooming (shaving, putting on makeup, fixing one's
hair, etc.), fighting with kids or passengers, talking to passengers,
looking at a map (or GPS) instead, among the many other things drivers
often do instead of paying attention to the road.

If you have any cites for a STUDY that shows INCREASED ACCIDENT RATES
that correlate with increased cell phone use, I'd love to see it.
Because it's clear that traffic accident rates are NOT going up, yet
cell phone usage has skyrocketed.

jc
Old August 16th 11, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Ben Pfaff

jcdill writes:

If you have any cites for a STUDY that shows INCREASED ACCIDENT RATES
that correlate with increased cell phone use, I'd love to see
it. Because it's clear that traffic accident rates are NOT going up,
yet cell phone usage has skyrocketed.

Many of the drivers who come close to hitting me while making
illegal maneuvers (running stop signs, running red lights) are
holding cell phones up to their ears. This is obviously
dangerous, study or no study, and I want those drivers stopped
and cited.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old August 16th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
damyth

On Aug 16, 1:11*pm, jcdill wrote:
On 16/08/11 12:31 PM, SMS wrote:

[...]

For the sake of discussion, let's just take your assertion as true,
that talking on cell-phone/texting while driving has not increased
accident rates.

http://distraction.gov/research/PDF-...unk-Driver.pdf
What do you make of this study?

Explain to me why already distracted drivers (CD/Radio) should be
allowed yet another distraction that leads to impairment?

You might want to check out:
http://distraction.gov/research/index.html

Old August 16th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Dan O

On Aug 16, 1:18*pm, Ben Pfaff wrote:
jcdill writes:
If you have any cites for a STUDY that shows INCREASED ACCIDENT RATES
that correlate with increased cell phone use, I'd love to see
it. Because it's clear that traffic accident rates are NOT going up,
yet cell phone usage has skyrocketed.

Many of the drivers who come close to hitting me while making
illegal maneuvers (running stop signs, running red lights) are
holding cell phones up to their ears. *This is obviously
dangerous, study or no study, and I want those drivers stopped
and cited.

They also cannot seem to be bothered to put down the phone and
activate their turn signal.
Old August 16th 11, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
James[_8_]

On 17/08/2011 3:29 AM, damyth wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:10 am, wrote:
Originally bicyclists were not covered by California's hands-free cell
phone law, but that will change if Governor Brown signs Simitian's bill
as expected.

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=165271&title=Tex...

If you've ever tried using a Bluetooth headset while riding, you know
that they don't work all that well due to wind noise.

While there are several very good quality iPhone bicycle mounts, if you
have another smart phone you are stuck with funky universal mounts that
are usually not trustworthy.

Are you advocating that cyclists (and drivers) should have the right
to talk hands-free?

I talk hands free all the time. I am not Italian. I talk to fellow
bike riders without using my hands, and if I'm driving I talk to
passengers without the use of my hands. My hands are generally used to
help control the vehicle that I am in control of.

Whether I am talking to someone locally or remote by phone, what's the
difference. It's all hands free and allowed by law here.

--
JS.
Old August 16th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
jcdill

Did you even read what I wrote? I'll give it to you again:

IMHO, the people who get involved in accidents while using their phones
because they got "distracted" are the same ones who were getting into
accidents before cell phones because they were distracted by changing
the radio station or CD in the CD player, by drinking their coffee, by
engaging in personal grooming (shaving, putting on makeup, fixing one's
hair, etc.), fighting with kids or passengers, talking to passengers,
looking at a map (or GPS) instead, among the many other things drivers
often do instead of paying attention to the road.

In other words, if they didn't have a cell phone to their ears when they
almost hit you, they would be doing one of dozens of other careless
behaviors. It's not the phone, it's the driver. Banning cell phone use
by people who know how to use it responsibly isn't going to change the
accident rate, just as the increasing cell phone usage hasn't changed
the accident rate. Most accidents are caused by careless drivers, and
they will continue to be careless even when you take the phones out of
their hands.

If you want to *really* do something about this, advocate to make it a
requirement to attend traffic school if a driver is caught using a
non-hand's-free cell phone. This would help get the careless drivers in
a classroom where education can potentially help them become more
careful behind the wheel.

jc

Helmet Bill in Colorado to be Signed by Governor Recuperating fromInjuries in a Bicycle Crash SMS General 52 March 16th 10 04:00 PM
A new cell phone experience [email protected] General 34 March 4th 07 11:51 AM
Cell Phone Risks Mike Vandeman Social Issues 40 December 8th 06 07:37 PM
Cell Phone [email protected] General 2 April 29th 05 12:56 PM
GPS CELL PHONE Equiped g.daniels Techniques 0 July 18th 03 03:43 PM