Converting moulton ATB gears/levers to road

Old April 23rd 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Julian Smith

Default Converting moulton ATB gears/levers to road

Hello

I have a mid-1990s Moulton ATB - 20" wheels, flat bars, V brakes and a
SRAM 3x7 rear hub (3-speed internal hub gears with a 7-speed cassette).

I'd like to convert the bike into a road bike with dropped-handlebars
and Campagnolo combined brake levers and shifters (i want Campagnolo
because they run the cables along the handlebars and so won't prevent
the use of a handlebar bag), e.g. Campagnolo Veloce Ergopower.

I think i'll need to get a QBP Travel Agent to increase the brake cable
travel from the Campagnolo levers to match the V brakes.

Accoring to various web pages, Campagnolo 10-speed levers will work
ok with Shimano 8-speed cassettes and derailleurs. So i'm thinking of
getting an 8-speed 12-23 cassette, removing the smallest sprocket to
give 13,14,15,17,19,21,23 (matching the existing 7-speed cassette), and
somehow adding an extra spacer to make up for the closer spacing.

Does all of this sound reasonable ? Any comments, advice etc, gratefully
received.

Many thanks,

- Julian

--
http://op59.net/
Old April 24th 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J.B.Slocomb

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:24:51 +0100, Julian Smith
wrote:

Hello

I have a mid-1990s Moulton ATB - 20" wheels, flat bars, V brakes and a
SRAM 3x7 rear hub (3-speed internal hub gears with a 7-speed cassette).

I'd like to convert the bike into a road bike with dropped-handlebars
and Campagnolo combined brake levers and shifters (i want Campagnolo
because they run the cables along the handlebars and so won't prevent
the use of a handlebar bag), e.g. Campagnolo Veloce Ergopower.

You can use Shimano shifters and a handle bar bag with a little
forethought in arranging the cables.

I think i'll need to get a QBP Travel Agent to increase the brake cable
travel from the Campagnolo levers to match the V brakes.

Accoring to various web pages, Campagnolo 10-speed levers will work
ok with Shimano 8-speed cassettes and derailleurs. So i'm thinking of
getting an 8-speed 12-23 cassette, removing the smallest sprocket to
give 13,14,15,17,19,21,23 (matching the existing 7-speed cassette), and
somehow adding an extra spacer to make up for the closer spacing.

I don't think that is going to work as Shimano cassettes small and
second smallest cassette cogs are very much a set and the retaining
nut bears against them to hold the thing together. Better to get a
cassette with the cogs that you want.

Does all of this sound reasonable ? Any comments, advice etc, gratefully
received.

Many thanks,

- Julian

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 24th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

Hello

I have a mid-1990s Moulton ATB - 20" wheels, flat bars, V brakes and a
SRAM 3x7 rear hub (3-speed internal hub gears with a 7-speed cassette).

I'd like to convert the bike into a road bike with dropped-handlebars
and Campagnolo combined brake levers and shifters (i want Campagnolo
because they run the cables along the handlebars and so won't prevent
the use of a handlebar bag), e.g. Campagnolo Veloce Ergopower.

On the handlebar bag issue: Newer Shimano STI levers route the cables
along the bars, so they should allow handlebar bags. And anyway, I
think many people have successfully used handlebar bags with old-style
STI. (My daughter has at least 5000 miles on that setup.) So you may
be worrying about something that's not a problem.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 24th 13, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:24:51 AM UTC-7, Julian Smith wrote:
[...]

I'd mostly be concerned over how you'll shift that internal hub gear. Campy left levers are micro-indexed, so it'll be shift and pray, and hope the lever can pull enough total cable to hit all 3 gears.