Brooks B17 - pre-aged vs standard

Old February 16th 08, 09:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DaveB[_2_]

Default Brooks B17 - pre-aged vs standard

I've got two Brooks B17 saddles. One is the pre-aged model and the other
is the standard B17. I got the pre-aged saddle about a year ago for my
roadbike and found it had shaped nicely to me within a couple of weeks
riding. About a month later I got the standard B17 for my commuter. 12
months later and it is still not to the shape the pre-aged saddle was in
a couple of weeks.

For both saddles I gave them a coat of the Brooks Proofide when I first
got them and again every couple of months. Is there anything else I can
do with the standard saddle?

DaveB
Old February 16th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

DaveB writes:

For both saddles I gave them a coat of the Brooks Proofide when I
first got them and again every couple of months. Is there anything
else I can do with the standard saddle?

Ah, old-school Brooks break-in tips. My preferred version is to turn
the saddle upside down (close the holes with tape if necessary), pour
plenty of linseed oil into it and let it soak in in a mildly warm
(75 °C/170 °F/gas mark whatever) oven for several hours. Let it cool down,
discard excess oil, apply a new coat of Proofide to the top surface, ride.
Old February 16th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html
Old February 16th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 16, 3:30 am, DaveB wrote:
I've got two Brooks B17 saddles. One is the pre-aged model and the other
is the standard B17. I got the pre-aged saddle about a year ago for my
roadbike and found it had shaped nicely to me within a couple of weeks
riding. About a month later I got the standard B17 for my commuter. 12
months later and it is still not to the shape the pre-aged saddle was in
a couple of weeks.

For both saddles I gave them a coat of the Brooks Proofide when I first
got them and again every couple of months. Is there anything else I can
do with the standard saddle?

DaveB

Sell it and get a saddle that fits you. If a Brooks isn't comfy in
under a hundred miles, it's not the right saddle for you.
Old February 16th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"A R:nen" wrote: (clip) pour plenty of linseed oil into it (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not neatsfoot oil?

Old February 16th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 16, 11:10 am, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"A R:nen" wrote: (clip) pour plenty of linseed oil into it (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not neatsfoot oil?

It's cheaper to ruin a saddle with linseed oil.
Old February 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
"A R:nen" wrote: (clip) pour plenty of linseed oil into it (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not neatsfoot oil?

It's cheaper to ruin a saddle with linseed oil.

Used motor oil is even cheaper.....

But think of the awesome patina!
Old February 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"A R:nen" wrote: (clip) pour plenty of linseed oil into it (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not neatsfoot oil?

Most commercial "neatsfoot" oil is a petroleum or petroleum based product
which will ruin your saddle.

This link has a good explanation of neatsfoot oil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

Chas.

Old February 16th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

"Leo Lichtman" writes:

"A R:nen" wrote: (clip) pour plenty of linseed oil into it (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why not neatsfoot oil?

The nearest Hankkija (or Agrimarket or whatever they are called these
days) is too far away, if indeed that's even a product that's
available in this part of the world. Feel free to use even udder cream
for all I care.

In my experience, canola oil works comfort-wise just as well, but its
smell is quite persistent.

Poll for riders aged 50 and older only bufo_boreas Unicycling 17 February 8th 07 05:08 AM
Poll for riders aged 50 and older only al_lieffring Unicycling 1 January 29th 07 05:27 PM
Aged tyres Rik Van Diesel Racing 7 July 15th 05 05:29 PM
One Standard for Jews...a Different Standard for the Rest of Us nitrous Racing 0 January 13th 05 04:55 AM
Clydesdale's early opinions of the Brooks B.17 Championship Standard Gman Mountain Biking 2 July 3rd 04 06:45 PM