Bicycle, crash hat and accident

Old August 27th 14, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Default Bicycle, crash hat and accident

Nick wrote:

On 27/08/2014 15:18, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:20:50 +0100
Nick wrote:

Yep. I got a road bike, 25mm 100psi tyre do not have much grip in the
rain.

Do fatter tyres improve the grip in the wet that much? My brother
rides a motor bike and says it has terrible grip in the wet.

Fatter tyres seem less likely to suddenly let go than skinny high
pressure ones, perhaps because they have more rubber on the road so
when they hit a slippery surface like iron or road paint they're still
partly on the grippier surface next to it. They feel a lot steadier
when riding over the grooved concrete slabs on cycle paths too.

Theoretically I'm not sure about that, manhole covers are big, you hit
one at the wrong angle and 35mm vs 25mm isn't going to make that much of
a difference.

certinly with MTB's its 50mm-60mm so a fair bit wider. It seems
untroubled by wet ironwork etc.

MTB tyres are fair bit softer both pressure and compound you'll get on
road bikes, or motorbikes for that matter.

I guess I should fix my old hybrid, which had fat tyres, I couldn't
use it for commuting all the time because the flat bars gave me numb
fingers but I guess I could use it occasionally.

Try butterfly bars?

Drops are fine, they keep my wrists straight. I bought the hybrid before
I realised I had the problem. I've had three road bike in the 15 years
since.

roger merriman
Old August 28th 14, 09:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 27/08/2014 18:23, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
On 26/08/2014 20:53, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
On 26/08/2014 19:56, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
On 26/08/2014 19:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bod

On 26/08/2014 16:59, Bod wrote:
On 26/08/2014 16:50, Capitol wrote:
Bod wrote:
Stupid mistakes like turning left on the inside of large
lorries
who
were also turning left. An experienced cyclist would hang back
from any
lorries......Darwin strikes again :-)

There you are, an organ donor!

Yes, but the same could be said of young inexperienced car
drivers.
Their accident rate is disproportionally high, hence the silly
money
they have to fork out for car insurance.

As opposed to the zero money forked out by cyclists.

True, but cyclists don't belch out poisonous exhaust gases,
effectively carbon free by comparison to motorised vehicles.

What's that got to do with insurance? Cyclists should have this for
when they knock over or into pedestrians and other things.

I wouldn't argue with that. It should be compulsory.

Agreed!
Of course you carry such insurance.

No, like any vehicle, insurance is not required on private land.
I only cycle on private land now.
Besides, Cycle insurance is not compulsory on cycles at the moment.

Pedestrians also use private land and accidents do happen. A silly
pedestrian just might just enter your path from a blind corner and not be
quick enough to get out of your privileged way.
Does it really have to be compulsory to make sense?

I ride sensibly and with respect to others.

This makes you immune from accidents does it?

60 years of cycling without hurting anyone (or animal) says, yes.

Old August 28th 14, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:20:50 +0100, Nick wrote:

Oddly inspite of, drivers reduced visablity, I have some fairly bright
lights which seem to encourage if anything been given more rather than
less space.

The commute bike is a old MTB which has huge amounts of grip etc, and
is unfazed by hidden potholes etc.

Yep. I got a road bike, 25mm 100psi tyre do not have much grip in the
rain.

Do fatter tyres improve the grip in the wet that much? My brother rides
a motor bike and says it has terrible grip in the wet.

I guess I should fix my old hybrid, which had fat tyres, I couldn't use
it for commuting all the time because the flat bars gave me numb fingers
but I guess I could use it occasionally.

I find thin high-pressure tyres grip better than fat treaded tyres in the
rain on hard pavements. Perhaps they "cut through" the surface film of
water better.
Of course in snow, wet leaves, mud etc, then that is different.
Old August 28th 14, 10:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Capitol

Bod wrote:

60 years of cycling without hurting anyone (or animal) says, yes.

Hmm. Not much use as an organ donor then!
Old August 28th 14, 10:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2014 10:03, Capitol wrote:
Bod wrote:

60 years of cycling without hurting anyone (or animal) says, yes.

Hmm. Not much use as an organ donor then!

How selfish of me ;-)
Old August 28th 14, 10:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Bod" wrote in message ...

Bod wrote:
Stupid mistakes like turning left on the inside of large lorries who
were also turning left. An experienced cyclist would hang back from
any
lorries......Darwin strikes again :-)

There you are, an organ donor!

Yes, but the same could be said of young inexperienced car drivers.
Their accident rate is disproportionally high, hence the silly money
they have to fork out for car insurance.

As opposed to the zero money forked out by cyclists.

True, but cyclists don't belch out poisonous exhaust gases,

They fart a lot....

How do you know this strange trait? Are you a saddle sniffer?

You wouldn't have to be. You can smell the stench of a cyclist from thirty
paces.

Old August 28th 14, 12:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2014 10:41, Tarcap wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message ...

Bod wrote:
Stupid mistakes like turning left on the inside of large lorries
who
were also turning left. An experienced cyclist would hang back from
any
lorries......Darwin strikes again :-)

There you are, an organ donor!

Yes, but the same could be said of young inexperienced car drivers.
Their accident rate is disproportionally high, hence the silly money
they have to fork out for car insurance.

As opposed to the zero money forked out by cyclists.

True, but cyclists don't belch out poisonous exhaust gases,

They fart a lot....

How do you know this strange trait? Are you a saddle sniffer?

You wouldn't have to be. You can smell the stench of a cyclist from
thirty paces.

You should stop hanging around pikey bike sheds.
Old August 28th 14, 12:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

Bod wrote:
[...]

That means nothing of the sort. It means it has not happened.

Old August 28th 14, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Bod wrote:
[...]

And *won't* happen.
Have you got pedestrian insurance in case you trip over and fall
onto an old lady which breaks her hip?
Have you got dog insurance in case your dog kills a cat or bites someone?
"Does it have to be compulsory to make sense"? ;-)

Old August 28th 14, 02:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Richard

"Bod" wrote in message ...

Big snip 8

"Does it have to be compulsory to make sense"? ;-)

Round here?

bicycle accident sentenced datakoll Techniques 0 September 12th 13 04:47 PM
Bicycle accident = tourettes Major Scott UK 4 March 21st 13 11:01 PM
Fatal bicycle accident G.T. Techniques 1 April 11th 06 03:04 AM
Bicycle may have caused SUV accident LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m Social Issues 0 February 8th 05 06:38 AM
bicycle accident insurance? Yuri Budilov Australia 4 January 15th 05 11:02 PM