Cycling clothing cleaning help needed

Old September 27th 04, 03:39 PM
jj1075

Default Cycling clothing cleaning help needed

I'm tired of flies dropping dead near me and the short term blackouts I've
been getting while taking a whiff of my cycling gear-even after a thorough
wash. Anyone have any hints to getting this stuff smelling good again?

Thanks in advance,

jj1075

Old September 27th 04, 03:47 PM
small change

jj1075 wrote:
I'm tired of flies dropping dead near me and the short term blackouts
I've been getting while taking a whiff of my cycling gear-even after
a thorough wash. Anyone have any hints to getting this stuff smelling
good again?

Thanks in advance,

jj1075

stinky bike gear recipe:

Try this. Soak in "Biz" overnight, at least 12 hours. this is an enzyme
based presoak that goes after organic matter, not your regular presoak.
Then, rinse that out and then run through the wash with a laundry product
called Oxyclean, which is not an detergent it's an additive. You should be
able to get that at any supermarket

you can rinse out the foam pads and straps on your helmet and let them air
dry. You can even wash pads/armor - just fasten all the straps, put it in a
pillow case and throw it in th washer on gentle, air dry. YMMV of course.

Penny S

Old September 27th 04, 03:52 PM
jj1075

stinky bike gear recipe:

snipped

Penny S

Thank you very much,Penny. I've heard of Biz and I've actually tried
Oxyclean. I will use your recipe as soon as I get back from the store with
the Biz.

Thanks again,

jj1075

Old September 27th 04, 06:50 PM
small change

Bruce Edge wrote:
small change wrote:
jj1075 wrote:

[...]

While it works on the stink, oxyclean destroys elastic.

-Bruce

I think we had this discussion before... I wouldn't doubt it.... but there's
always trade offs. I do know that some men seem to have toxic perspiration
that would destroy stuff anyway. There's always tradeoffs. I can't imaging
going to the trouble of this treatment every time you wash stuff.

penny

Old September 27th 04, 07:12 PM
bri719

Bruce Edge wrote:

While it works on the stink, oxyclean destroys elastic.

-Bruce

I used to have this stink destroyer spray which was basically designed
for hockey equipment and other offensive smelling gear. I haven't used
it in a few years so can't remember the exact name (something tells me
it was called "Out!") but it seemed to work reasonably well. it came in
a white bottle with red lettering and was kind of like a high-powered
version of Febreze.

you can find it at various sporting goods stores or specialty stores if
you're concerned with preventing smell above all else. spray the pits,
crotch, etc. of your gear between rides and let air dry. follow with
washing procedures as necessary or use the "Biz" routine every couple of
rides.

fewer washings should help your jerseys and shorts last a little longer
hopefully...

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old September 27th 04, 07:32 PM
small change

bri719 wrote:

if you're concerned with preventing smell above all else. spray the
pits, crotch, etc. of your gear between rides and let air dry.
follow with washing procedures as necessary or use the "Biz" routine
every couple of rides.

fewer washings should help your jerseys and shorts last a little
longer hopefully...

bri

The heat from the dryer is what kills most gear, not the washing. I have
jerseys that are over six years old that get washed at least once a week
during bike season. I line dry everything, have lycra shorts that are 10+
years old. I find "spray the crotch of your shorts " with de-stinker ( or
febreeze, whatever...) between rides to be a rather disgusting thought,
myself. I'd have to have an extreme laundry emergency before I'd do that.

penny

Old September 27th 04, 07:41 PM
bri719

small change wrote:

The heat from the dryer is what kills most gear, not the washing. I have
jerseys that are over six years old that get washed at least once a week
during bike season. I line dry everything, have lycra shorts that are 10+
years old. I find "spray the crotch of your shorts " with de-stinker ( or
febreeze, whatever...) between rides to be a rather disgusting thought,
myself. I'd have to have an extreme laundry emergency before I'd do that.

yeah line dry is the way to go.

I usually just wash my stuff every couple rides and it seems to work out
fine. I've heard not to use liquid detergent though....powder is
supposedly better for breathable fabrics.

bri

Old September 27th 04, 07:46 PM
Slacker

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:27:20 -0700, Bruce Edge wro=
te:

small change wrote:
jj1075 wrote:

[...]

The OP could try some water softener and Baking Soda along with their =

regular detergent in the load.

My stuff never stinks.

-- =

Slacker
Old September 27th 04, 07:48 PM
small change

bri719 wrote:
small change wrote:

The heat from the dryer is what kills most gear, not the washing.
I have jerseys that are over six years old that get washed at least
once a week during bike season. I line dry everything, have lycra
shorts that are 10+ years old. I find "spray the crotch of your
shorts " with de-stinker ( or febreeze, whatever...) between rides
to be a rather disgusting thought, myself. I'd have to have an
extreme laundry emergency before I'd do that.

yeah line dry is the way to go.

I usually just wash my stuff every couple rides and it seems to work
out fine. I've heard not to use liquid detergent though....powder is
supposedly better for breathable fabrics.

bri

powder is what is recommended for Gore-tex by gore, I've never run across
any recommendations specific to polyesters, lycras or nylons...except for no
heat.

Penny

Old September 27th 04, 07:50 PM

Buy wool stuff. Synthetics feel nice but of course stink immediately.
My wool shorts and jerseys feel just as nice and don't stink, so you
know which one wins.

Kurt