What is facing a frame

Old November 15th 04, 04:47 PM
John Dacey

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:23:30 -0600, A Muzi
wrote:

Mark D wrote:
The only differences I call see between the Record, and Chorus BB is the
weight, and the price. Otherwise, they're virtually the same in
construction (Carbon shell vs Alu Shell)
You can always save the Record BB for another build up if need be. Mark

Those product groups are very very different.
Record and Chorus vary only in the carbon outer cover.
Inside they both have premium quality double bearing on the
right side and a forged spindle. The left bearing is an SKF
61903- -same as a Phil Wood. All Campagnolo BB bearings are
well lubricated as delivered.

Apart from the material from which the center sleeve is made, Record
road spindles are also different from those found in the Chorus model.
Campagnolo literature describes the Record spindle as "oversize", a
feature missing from Chorus whose spindles are a constant diameter in
the area between the left and right bearings. See a 102 mm Record
spindle swollen with pride he

http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/record102bb.jpg

For the hairsplitters, The Record Pista bottom bracket has a
Chorus-type (not bulged in the center) spindle, but with a carbon
center sleeve.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old November 15th 04, 05:58 PM
John Thompson

On 2004-11-14, res09c5t wrote:

Some of the newer cartridge bottom brackets (like Phil Wood and others) use
mounting rings that don't contact the outer faces of the bottom bracket
shell, they just fit inside, so there is no point in facing the bb if you
are using one of these. If your bottom bracket tightens against the shell,
it's still needed. Likewise, all the headsets I have seen contact the faces
of the headtube so facing would still be needed here.

You still need to ensure that the BB threading is concentric. With French
and Italian threading, this isn't an issue: you can run a single tap in
one side and all the way through to the other, ensuring concentricity.
With English threading, you need to use a piloted tap set for this.

--

-John )
Old November 15th 04, 06:51 PM
John Dacey

"In velo veritas." - JD
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:33:57 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

John Dacey wrote:
Apart from the material from which the center sleeve is made, Record
road spindles are also different from those found in the Chorus model.
Campagnolo literature describes the Record spindle as "oversize", a
feature missing from Chorus whose spindles are a constant diameter in
the area between the left and right bearings. See a 102 mm Record
spindle swollen with pride he

http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/record102bb.jpg

Is that also true of the Triple version?

I reckon so. Campagnolo product literature uses the term "oversize" to
describe the spindles (although they call it "axle") of both the
Record 102 and Record 111 bottom brackets. The word "oversize" is
conspicuosly absent from the product descriptions of all other
Campagnolo triple-bearing, cartridge style bottom bracket spindles
(Record Pista 111; Chorus 102 and 111; '05 Centaur 111).
-------------------------------
Old November 15th 04, 07:16 PM
Sheldon Brown

Quoth John Thompson:

You still need to ensure that the BB threading is concentric. With French
and Italian threading, this isn't an issue: you can run a single tap in
one side and all the way through to the other, ensuring concentricity.
With English threading, you need to use a piloted tap set for this.

I've heard this touted as an advantage of the wrong-way threading used
on old French and Italian bottom brackets.

However, I've worked on a LOT of French and Italian bikes, and have
never seen a bottom bracket that showed signs of having been threaded in
this manner.

Sheldon "Right Is Wrong" Brown
| All theory, dear friend, is grey, |
| but the golden tree of actual life |
| springs ever green. --Goethe |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 15th 04, 11:21 PM
John McGraw

wrote in message roups.com...
Me wrote:
Hi, a quick one. I read with interest the post about facing a frame a

few days ago. What exactly is facing a frame? I know what chasing the

threads in a bb but can someone give me a simple definition?

Facing is something that people who can't afford Phil Wood bottom
brackets have to do to their frames.

Regards,

Suzy

Hay Phil
Loctite works w/ lube, just not as well (as I stated previously) Go to
their site, e mail them, or call them. I assume they have a UK tech
line. They were very helpful when I called them.
I'm not entirely clear weather you have just a facing problem or a
threading problem, or both. In either case there are answers.
Of course the obvious one is to get the rt. Side faced. I know, I
know… Don't want to lose the use.
Even if the threads are bad, there are answers.
One is to try & rethread the English BB. Like chasing the threads.
If that doesn't work, there is a reamer that fits various BB threading
tools & reams the shell to the proper minor diameter for an Italian BB
& then it can be rethread it for an Italian BB. United Tools in
Ashland, Oregon makes these reamers. Perhaps someone in Europe does
also. It's too good of an idea for all of Europe to have missed.
This thread has become spread over several threads & I didn't want to
run them all down, so I operated by memory. Thus, I'm not entirely
sure if U have a threading problem or not.
Sorry if I added threading if I didn't have to but, it's good info, in
any case.
Best, John
Old November 16th 04, 05:24 PM
John Thompson

On 2004-11-15, Sheldon Brown wrote:

Quoth John Thompson:

You still need to ensure that the BB threading is concentric. With French
and Italian threading, this isn't an issue: you can run a single tap in
one side and all the way through to the other, ensuring concentricity.
With English threading, you need to use a piloted tap set for this.

I've heard this touted as an advantage of the wrong-way threading used
on old French and Italian bottom brackets.

However, I've worked on a LOT of French and Italian bikes, and have
never seen a bottom bracket that showed signs of having been threaded in
this manner.

I remember Dave Tesch told me he used Italian threading on his frames for
just this reason...

--

-John )
Old November 17th 04, 03:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

The good Captain writes- I've heard this touted as an advantage of the
wrong-way threading used
on old French and Italian bottom brackets. BRBR

I answer-" I think the problem is wrong way bike wrenches, not threading. Why
BSC threading was introduced, afterall, cuz ohh so many 'wrenches' couldn't
face or install a BB properly."

I still like the superior Italian threadling and insist upon it on all my
personal bicis...(;-l), jus kiddin Sheldon, it's cold outside...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
2003 Aegis Shaman Cyclocross Carbon Fiber 56 CM frame for sale Nat Busquelo Racing 0 August 24th 04 05:58 PM
Team vs Strada mjbass Recumbent Biking 43 January 5th 04 03:28 AM
Resistance Trainer: Am I wrecking my frame??? JayofMontreal Techniques 36 November 6th 03 09:31 PM
Carbon frame intregrity after accident Jürgen Hartwig Techniques 37 November 6th 03 02:32 PM