Workstand *not* made of cheese?

Old May 9th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Workstand *not* made of cheese?

On May 8, 7:42 pm, landotter wrote:
On May 8, 7:09 pm, A Muzi wrote:

landotter wrote:
On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
Physically, they gripped the frame like:
http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?
screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

Good idea!
I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-...TE-1964_W0QQit...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
--

It probably describes how you make the BB support out of a hollowed
block lined with worn out toe straps glued in place with tubular

Of course that block would have to be tenoned and fit into a longer
mortise to accommodate different size frames. Maybe even some handsome
wedges could be used to secure it. Or have it in the slot and
adjustable by leather pulley with a crank at the end of the bench,
which would be the ultimate in slick, but not as stable.
Old May 9th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On May 8, 7:09 pm, A Muzi wrote:

landotter wrote:
On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW wrote:
[...]

Campy QR skewers through oak planks, used as compression clamps. Or
Peugeot branded wing nuts.
Old May 9th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

A Muzi wrote:

I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one
though:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-...QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak

It was called the Amateur, don't think it was particulary beefy

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old May 9th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Thu, 08 May 2008 19:20:37 GMT, JBW may have said:

When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

Looks like a Tacx tabletop workstand setup bolted to the top of a
folding table that I've seen somewhere.

Old May 9th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On May 8, 1:20 pm, JBW wrote:
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

JBW

A trainer on top of a table works like that. Before I bought a stand,
I used to put my trainer on a table and the bike on the trainer and
work on my bike. What I like about stands that hold from the seatpost
is that I can keep the front wheel on if I need to work on the front
brake. I can also replace cables under the bottom bracket and clean
under there. By holding the bike from the seatpost, you have the rest
of the bike free to work on whatever component you want. You can also
rotate the clamp placing the bike in any position that you want. You
can also remove the headset and fork w/o trouble.

OTOH, on the pictured stand, you would have to remove the bike from
stand to do a number of repairs, cleaning, etc. However if you like
that, again, an old trainer will work. You can also get a trainer that
clamps to the rear hub bolt/quick release/nut. Put the trainer and
bike on a table and work on it.

Andres

Today I serviced cheese Josey UK 14 May 21st 07 08:23 PM
Are these any good or are they like Woolies bikes, made of cheese? spindrift UK 18 October 27th 06 01:18 PM
XT free hub bodies are cheese pauly Mountain Biking 31 October 25th 06 03:17 AM
Cheese Robin Hubert Techniques 1 June 7th 05 06:52 AM
Arrghh! cheese.. David Martin UK 16 December 15th 04 08:42 PM