Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

Old November 16th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:45:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
But how do you attach it to an all-foam "helmet"?

patients, resolve, intelligence, planning

foam is tricky...there a times when you apply adhesive to foam n the foam melts. this isnot good and embarrassing.

search for glues/adhesives for foam. try 3M and Loctite. Foam is usually Styrofoam and styro's take a specific glue. But there are other foams around..polyolefin maybe urethane ?

there are web notes for IDing foams

what you can do is find an adhesive for the mirror's end. then scrap around for a small patch/square/round/ovals are nice...aero you know...contrsting colors

stat at Walmart and Home depot for container plastics.

match the patch to the mirror end and glue that together with a CHO cleaned surface, tie the process down..I have a photo..allow to cure in warm place for 48 hours.

the glue the patch to the foam helmet. or glue a surface to the foam then glue the mirror mated patch to the surface patch on the foam.

possible in this method you arrive at the best possible bad gluing standards available.

if the connections separate the foam stays intact due to greater surface area adhesion while the connection point is renewable.

possible to buy plastic sheet patches but very expensive online. if you live in an urban area there may be an outlet but the outlet , unless you can find a jobber or fabricator, will sell only several rolls at one time.

http://goo.gl/2VhbJQ

DESIGN TOOL...sub rod for strut...or ? add design as verb/noun...

http://goo.gl/zZsoJy

eg bend wire 90 degrees then into flat loop, place in already glued on pipe/collar section filled with epoxy...

now look for plastic universal joints...sy what is that joint nomend technically ?
Old November 16th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ball joint !

http://goo.gl/Tc1n5I
Old November 16th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:17:02 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:01:01 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't know a source for Chuck Harris mirrors, but it's pretty easy to
make one's own mirrors. Start with a plastic mirror, sold for camping
or backpacking, plus some wire of suitable stiffness. A light gage
butted spoke may work.

But how do you attach it to an all-foam "helmet"?

Put a few bends in the wire, and attach to the helmet with ty-wraps
through the vent slits.

Or, buy a "helmet mirror".
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=helmet+mirror
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=helmet%20mirror&sprefix=helmet+mirror

The "pad" type of helmet mounting attaches with most types of sticky
glue. I suggest contact cement for something permanent.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140919575705

Pricy, but made for foam helmets:
http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Zone-Bicycle-Helmet-Mirror/dp/B003LVHZ4O/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 16th 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS strings of ball joints...as with the flex camera support, get crit for friction wear out to not functional tolerances.

plastic coated wire is qualifiable....where's the mil spec level ?

Old November 16th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:30:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
AE6KS strings of ball joints...as with the flex camera support, get crit for friction wear out to not functional tolerances.

plastic coated wire is qualifiable....where's the mil spec level ?

https://www.google.com/#q=global+spe...lexible+ wire

gardening and art wire ? NGE

flexible plastic coated BX , kinda like the ball joint strings.

there needs be a USE, a MARKET, for the wire but I cannah immediately think of ?

as if its gonna break off...which is the bitch here...then its no good...aha ! a loop

nor is having a wire stuck in your eye.
Old November 16th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I don't know a source for Chuck Harris mirrors, but it's pretty easy to
make one's own mirrors. Start with a plastic mirror, sold for camping
or backpacking, plus some wire of suitable stiffness. A light gage
butted spoke may work.

But how do you attach it to an all-foam "helmet"?

Ah. Well, I attach mine to my glasses instead, since I don't usually
use a helmet.

But it looks like the Chuck Harris and the Hubbub mirrors end in sort of
double U shapes, that you just squeeze onto the edge of your helmet. It
looks like that wouldn't be hard to copy. Is there some specific
feature of your helmet that makes that inadequate?

(BTW, my home-made mirrors are much smaller than the Harris/Hubbub
design. I minimize the eye-to-mirror length so a smaller mirror gives a
fine field of view. I make sure that stem length allows me to just see
past my shoulder.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 14, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ah. Well, I attach mine to my glasses instead, since I don't usually
use a helmet.

fffffffffffffffff

AND how are your mirrors attached to the glasses ?

a U shape... ?

http://goo.gl/UqiMR6

http://goo.gl/UqiMR6

http://goo.gl/Q96Nnf

http://goo.gl/54VVjW

http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

no more $$ spent on crap mirrors !!!
Old November 17th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

wrote:

[...]

How thick is the mirror you use? I haven't been able to locate any
small sources as yet. Ridout Plastic has 2' x 4' x 1/8 sheets of
mirrored polycarbonate, which sounds ideal, but goes for $190, which is
kind of pricey for a one-off. Plexiglass is about a third the price,
but that's still too much. They are local, so I emailed them to see if
they have samples/cutoffs available.

--
Joe Riel
Old November 17th 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Just in from Uheebee Crater...

http://goo.gl/zIf6L3

https://www.google.com/#q=inspection+mirrors&tbm=shop

ok we're looking for CF shafts and swivels with universal mountings...and a concave polycarb mirror.

Concave is super...it's the extra light collection..

Back up to the sunsets
Old November 17th 14, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

sub polycarb to 'plastic'

https://www.google.com/#q=mirrored+p...d:p&tbm=sho p

Anybody have a good source for reproduction decals? !Jones Techniques 34 March 20th 13 03:27 AM
Mirrors for Bromptons? [email protected] UK 10 August 26th 07 04:46 PM
Trucks & Mirrors Roos Eisma UK 6 June 8th 07 05:05 PM
FS: Reproduction ordinary Danny Colyer UK 8 December 19th 05 09:12 PM
Mirrors (again) ed Techniques 2 September 29th 04 06:59 PM