How to Not Get Hit by Cars

Old August 28th 15, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default How to Not Get Hit by Cars

'Wearing a helmet will do absolutely nothing to prevent you from getting
hit by a car. Sure, helmets might help you if you get hit, but your #1
goal should be to avoid getting hit in the first place. Plenty of
cyclists are killed by cars even though they were wearing helmets.
Ironically, if they had ridden without helmets, yet followed the advice
on this page, they might still be alive today. Don't fall for the myth
that wearing a helmet is the first and last word in biking safety. In
truth, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's better to
not get hit. That's what real bicycle safety is about'.

http://bicyclesafe.com

*Never have truer words been said*

Bod
Old August 28th 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Friday, 28 August 2015 07:17:16 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
'Wearing a helmet will do absolutely nothing to prevent you from getting
hit by a car. Sure, helmets might help you if you get hit, but your #1
goal should be to avoid getting hit in the first place. Plenty of
cyclists are killed by cars even though they were wearing helmets.
Ironically, if they had ridden without helmets, yet followed the advice
on this page, they might still be alive today. Don't fall for the myth
that wearing a helmet is the first and last word in biking safety. In
truth, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's better to
not get hit. That's what real bicycle safety is about'.

http://bicyclesafe.com

*Never have truer words been said*

Bod

Indeed. Chris Boardman has said the same thing on many occasions, even though it costs him money as he sells the things.

Old August 28th 15, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
'Wearing a helmet will do absolutely nothing to prevent you from getting
hit by a car. Sure, helmets might help you if you get hit, but your #1
goal should be to avoid getting hit in the first place. Plenty of
cyclists are killed by cars even though they were wearing helmets.
Ironically, if they had ridden without helmets, yet followed the advice
on this page, they might still be alive today. Don't fall for the myth
that wearing a helmet is the first and last word in biking safety. In
truth, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's better to
not get hit. That's what real bicycle safety is about'.

http://bicyclesafe.com

*Never have truer words been said*

Bod

"Don't fall for the myth that wearing a helmet is the first and last
word in biking safety."

Who could disagree with that?

The first word in cycling safety (and probably the last one too) is:

"- Obey the law,
- cycle carefully at all times,
- *watch* where you're going (not the ground underneath your bike),
- be prepared to stop immediately in situation where danger presents
itself (totally irrespective of whose "right of way" you think it might be)
- stop at red traffic lights,
- never cycle on the footway or in a pedestrian only zone,
- observe the law fully in one-way streets,
- never pass a No Entry sign,
- Remember man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return (try
not to make it too soon)".

But a helmet is a good addition to the above.
Old August 28th 15, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2015 09:31, JNugent wrote:
On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid it isn't. Studies have conclusively shown that in the
countries that have made cycling helmets mandatory, there have been *no*
reduction in cycling injuries.

I quote:

December 2012: the Journal of Medical Ethics in the UK has peer reviewed
and published The impacts of compulsory cycle helmet legislation on
cyclist fatalities and premature deaths in the UK, a Bursary Paper
produced for the Transport Planning Society. It provides estimates that
compelling cyclists to wear helmets by law is likely to both reduce
cycling levels and lead to more premature deaths than the legislation
would save.

Old August 28th 15, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
[...]

I would add: near the top of the list: don't undertake. A very large
proportion of the London cyclists that die, are killed by carrying out
this manouevre.
Old August 28th 15, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
[...]

Always examine statements for weaseling content.

The weasel word there is "injuries".

I quote:

December 2012: the Journal of Medical Ethics in the UK has peer reviewed
and published The impacts of compulsory cycle helmet legislation on
cyclist fatalities and premature deaths in the UK, a Bursary Paper
produced for the Transport Planning Society. It provides estimates that
compelling cyclists to wear helmets by law is likely to both reduce
cycling levels and lead to more premature deaths than the legislation
would save.

The weasel word there is "legislation".

Come on... you're better than that...
Old August 28th 15, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I was writing on the fly and ought to have thought of that one.
Old August 28th 15, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:
[...]

Offering *sensible* advice on safety is the way forward regarding road
safety, not the stupid banging on about "wear a cycle safety helmet"
promotions. I've ridden a cycle for 61 years *without* a helmet and not
once had the slightest accident.
The only danger I've encountered is drivers just pulling out of
sideroads, seemingly oblivious to my bike. The same problem
occured regularly when I road motorbikes.
I quickly learnt that I have to be extra vigilant with car drivers.

Common sense and being aware/ courteous etc are the keywords.
A cycle helmet is useless if you ride carelessly.

Bod
Old August 28th 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:

[...]

I completely agree with that, though I see no reason why it should be
limited to car-drivers.

Cyclists should realise (for their own safety) that sometimes,
particularly in busy traffic conditions where there is a lot of
information to process, it is easy to miss the appearance of a cyclist.
It really is.

Common sense and being aware/ courteous etc are the keywords.
A cycle helmet is useless if you ride carelessly.

It might mitigate a fatal head injury into a survivable one. As you well
know, that is its only purpose.

Old August 28th 15, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/08/2015 07:17, Bod wrote:

[...]

That may be, but the concensus is that wearing a helmet *increases* your
chance of having an accident for the reasons given earlier.

getting hit by cars? The UniSLAB Unicycling 1 August 26th 08 11:15 PM
getting hit by cars? Bondo Unicycling 0 July 23rd 08 03:55 PM
getting hit by cars? Michaelgoround Unicycling 0 July 23rd 08 02:10 AM
end of cars verbluten Australia 6 August 13th 05 11:27 AM
cars dubmuni2004 Unicycling 1 March 17th 04 04:49 AM