Cold weather, sore throat

Old November 9th 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cold weather, sore throat

For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 9th 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 22:22:20 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

I've heard that exercising in cold weather can cause a sore throat as
(1) cold air is generally very dry air and (2) when exercising one
tends to breath through the mouth and the air is not warmed and
humidified as it would be if the air passed through the nasal
passages.

The usual recommendation is to wrap a scarf around the nose and lower
face. I think that some skiers wear a "mask" for the same reason.
cheers,

John B.

Old November 9th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:22:22 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hi there Frank. I use one of these masks from a Dollar store when the air temperature is cold and I might be breathing heavily. It works marvelously - like having a heater for your air.

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3981

Cheers
Old November 9th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 20:40:35 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:22:22 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

- Frank Krygowski

Hi there Frank. I use one of these masks from a Dollar store when the
air temperature is cold and I might be breathing heavily. It works
marvelously - like having a heater for your air.
https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3981
Cheers

That type of mask will probably be good enough. However, if it
doesn't work, look into various "cold weather breathing masks" such
as:
https://www.hammacher.com/product/subzero-warm-breath-mask
The description explains how it works. There are also full face
versions and those with attached goggles, which will probably not be
necessary. Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+weather+breathing+mask&tbm=isch

Long ago, I was on a ski trip and needed a mask. I destroyed an
expensive Gortex jacket to improvise a mask. It kept the moisture and
warm air in my mouth and was good enough until I could buy something
better.

I have a variety of minor medical problems that tend create sore
throat problems for me (acid reflux, narrowed nasal passage, dry mouth
due to drugs, etc). When I make a mistake and get a sore throat, it
tends to persist for a few days. My solution is a nebulizer or a
humidifier only when the relative humidity is low or a honey and lemon
juice cocktail to ease the irritation.

I'm not sure if all of these sore throat remedies actually work (or
are safe) but it might be useful to experiment:
"Sore Throat Remedies: 16 Natural Gargles"
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/sore-throat-remedies-home-gargles/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 9th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/9/2018 1:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm not sure if all of these sore throat remedies actually work (or
are safe) but it might be useful to experiment:
"Sore Throat Remedies: 16 Natural Gargles"
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/sore-throat-remedies-home-gargles/

Hmm. Instead of picking and choosing, maybe I'll just blend them all
together.

Salt & lemon & ginger & honey & hot sauce & sage & turmeric & wheatgrass
& clove & tomato & green tea & vinegar & goldenseal & echinacea & myrrh
& licorice & raspberry ought to do the trick!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 9th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Just the thing for riding to the bank to make a withdrawal!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 9th 18, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 15:07:52 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Hmm. Instead of picking and choosing, maybe I'll just blend them all
together.

Salt & lemon & ginger & honey & hot sauce & sage & turmeric & wheatgrass
& clove & tomato & green tea & vinegar & goldenseal & echinacea & myrrh
& licorice & raspberry ought to do the trick!

Or give you something else to worry about and distract from your intial
problem. {

Old November 10th 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 15:07:52 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/9/2018 1:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm not sure if all of these sore throat remedies actually work (or
are safe) but it might be useful to experiment:
"Sore Throat Remedies: 16 Natural Gargles"
https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/sore-throat-remedies-home-gargles/

Hmm. Instead of picking and choosing, maybe I'll just blend them all
together.

Remember... you have but one life to give for advancing science. Be
sure to arrange for witnesses so that there will be at least one
survivor to explain to the paramedics what transpired.

Salt & lemon & ginger & honey & hot sauce & sage & turmeric & wheatgrass
& clove & tomato & green tea & vinegar & goldenseal & echinacea & myrrh
& licorice & raspberry ought to do the trick!

Ummm... right. It's much like the "juicing" fad diet where one mixes
the liquefied pulp from a wide variety of things that individually
taste rather good, into a conglomerated mush that tastes awful, but is
allegedly still good for you. Mixing all those sore throat remedies
together will probably also be good for you, and equally disgusting to
gargle.

Have a raw egg handy in case you want to attempt a different
concoction and need to first induce regurgitation.

Old November 10th 18, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:22:22 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Define cold weather.

Lou
Old November 10th 18, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 3:21:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 4:22:22 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Define cold weather.

Lou

Form and the mask I linked to above it's around -20C or 30C.
many people who live in warmer climates might find it cold at much higher temperatures than I do.

Cheers

ahh cold weather at last! greggery peccary General 1 October 30th 06 03:30 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
FS: Giordana Cold, Cold weather tights, Size 3 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 07:33 PM
cold weather Q? ~R General 24 October 24th 05 11:43 PM
cold weather? How cold is it? Max General 14 December 12th 04 08:50 PM