Wear And Tear

Old February 9th 19, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wear And Tear

When I rebuilt my Pinarello Stelvio I had it powder coated. Well that's OK for a Pinarello that never went in for fancy paint jobs but my Basso Loto is beginning to show the wear and tear of common use.

Powder coating a frame means that there are a few things that you have to be informed about if you don't have a Builder's Kit with all the thread chasers and bore cleaners. You have to keep the powder coating off of the bottom bracket threads and the flat surfaces again which the BB shells are going to press. Also the headset bore has to be protected. And chrome parts as well. This makes it difficult to so anything fancy with powder coating that doesn't end up costing more than a good paint job from CycleArt or the like.. Butpowder coating wear like the iron beneath it.

While paint jobs cost ONE HELL OF A LOT. Paint and decals from the local D & D was asking $1,200. That hardly seems justified on a bike that I have $800 invested in. But I supposed if it was your dear heart if might be worth it. They used to do a lot of factory paint jobs from the Santa Cruz mob but they found cheaper sources from China.

Does anyone know a good source of descent multicolor paint jobs here in the USA?

Old February 9th 19, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/9/2019 12:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

A single color respray is $300, about $500 with Basso
graphics & clear.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/bsgap12f.jpg

But a classic Loto is a two or 3 color stencil mask:
https://www.pedalroom.com/p/basso-loto-22080_21.jpg

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/basso-fi...to-39254_3.jpg

Plus graphics and clear; not cheap to duplicate.
Then again anything's better, and better looking, than
powder IMHO.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 10th 19, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

My bike frame was powder coated in a lovely anti-theft pea soup green. I
suspected that by the time I had the frame stripped and repainted, it would
be approaching the cost of a new frame, so I just cleaned it really well
and shot it with hardware store rattle can spray paint, using the powder
coat as a primer. It probably won't last as long as a pro job, but it was
under $100 in supplies, and I didn't have to deal with all those "drop dead
right now" chemicals in modern automotive paints.

Old February 10th 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:54:14 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

I did that on my original Redline Xcross bike. It didn't take long for the overcoat to start showing wear from legs etc. Though perhaps that could be eliminated by a clear coat of the same spray can stuff. https://www.cyclingforums.com/forums.../create-thread

The Pinarello had clear coat applied from a spray can to protect the decals and while that worked the mistake I made was to try and make too thick a coat. I should have taken my time and sprayed many light coats and I wouldn't have gotten the wrinkles in the clear coat that you can see upon close examination.

Ksyrium wear and tear indicators [email protected] Techniques 1 November 28th 13 06:36 PM
road bike wear and tear distances?? [email protected] Australia 4 October 16th 07 09:31 AM
How bad can a tear get nash General 12 March 9th 07 06:26 AM
general rules for wear and tear on a road bike [email protected] Techniques 10 February 26th 07 11:19 PM
Speedplay Frogs problem: Anomaly, defect or normal wear and tear Luke Techniques 6 October 9th 04 03:08 AM