Grocery Bike

Old February 1st 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick[_2_]

Default Grocery Bike

Since I've been contemplating a fetch bike, I thought that perhaps an electra townie type so called flat foot bikes as a grocery getter in that the rear rack (which is mentioned by a couple of the posters) wouldn't have the interference while pedaling like a more conventional bike. I get that the mechanics (ie-standing to pedal) might not be good but at my age the standing isn't really used that much anyway! Regards, Pat
Old February 2nd 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

patrick wrote:
Since I've been contemplating a fetch bike, I thought that perhaps an electra townie type so called flat foot bikes as a grocery getter in that the rear rack (which is mentioned by a couple of the posters) wouldn't have the interference while pedaling like a more conventional bike. I get that the mechanics (ie-standing to pedal) might not be good but at my age the standing isn't really used that much anyway! Regards, Pat

You're almost certainly right in that a feed-forward design will cure the
feet-to-pannier-basket clearance problem. The real problem is that all
pannier setups tend to put heavy loads too far aft, past the rear axle.
Having the CG too close to the rear axle is what causes instability and a
tendency to wheelie.

A better solution is to move the rider forward, away from the rear wheel,
but then the whole bike gets longer and heavier. The extreme would be a
tandem, with the panniers where the stoker would sit. One sees cargo
bikes like that around my neighborhood, usually with a kid seat above
the panniers. It's a huge bus of a bike. Ideal for its purpose, but only
one purpose and expernsive to boot.

A standard upright bike with ordinary folding baskets carries most shopping
loads easily. For heavier loads a trailer is an easy incremental improvement.
Of course, if you happen to have an old tandem lying around, so much the
better...

My $.02,

bob prohaska

Old February 2nd 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 7:13:00 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 23:28:24 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

patrick wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0SEpVo33AM

:-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

I see that a lot of people including whomever gave the video its title don't know the difference between a bicycle and a tricycle. Hint, a BIcycle has TWO wheels and A TRIcycle has THREE wheels. LOL VBEG ;) Other than the 2-wheel Bullitts in that video almost all of the Cargo Bikes are actually Cargo Trikes.

Cheers
Old February 2nd 19, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

patrick wrote:
[...]

True, but a tri-cycle can carry more and more varied loads than a
bi-cycle :-) For the pure at heart see:
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...t-cargo-bikes/

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 2nd 19, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

patrick wrote:
[...]

Groan. I'll drive. I remember when I didn't own a car. I would borrow my sister's car and do a massive shop. Then I would pick up this and that on my bike. I still do that -- except I own my own car, and a lot of times I'll just walk the half mile to the local market.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 2nd 19, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 12:54:05 -0800 (PST), patrick
wrote:

Since I've been contemplating a fetch bike, I thought that perhaps an electra townie type so called flat foot bikes as a grocery getter in that the rear rack (which is mentioned by a couple of the posters) wouldn't have the interference while pedaling like a more conventional bike. I get that the mechanics (ie-standing to pedal) might not be good but at my age the standing isn't really used that much anyway! Regards, Pat

A crank-forward bike makes standing impossible, though it is possible
to take a run at a pavement-end by pulling back on the handlebars
enough to rise from the seat.

After a few tries, I gave up taking my comfort bike through
intersections -- since you can't apply any force to the pedals, it is
impossible to start quickly; if there isn't a slight downslope, I can
still be pushing with my feet in the hope of getting up steerage way
when I'm nearly across -- and the middle of an intersection isn't the
place where I want most of my attention on managing the bike.

But because it's impossible to put force on the pedals, it's quite
safe to ride it when I'm fragile. When I come to a hill, the deep
notch in the frame allows me to walk beside it with the bars straight
in front, so that I can use it as a cane -- it also works as a walker
if I stay astraddle, but it's awkward to climb a hill that way.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old February 2nd 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

What is a "comfort bike"? I goggled it and found something like this
https://www.amazon.com/comfort-bikes...8&node=3403981

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 2nd 19, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

This is a comfortbike

https://www.omafiets.nl/altec-omafiets-basic-zwart

popular in the Netherlands among teenagers because they can easily operate their smart phones

Lou
Old February 2nd 19, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

patrick wrote:
[...]

Me too. Hauling groceries is a perfect application for a car. Doing your weekly shopping by bicycle just because I don't get. For a few forgotten items it can be more practical at a time there is a lot of traffic and busy parking lots. But other than that I take my car without any guilt.

Lou
Old February 2nd 19, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

https://www.amazon.com/comfort-bikes...TF8&node403981

--
Cheers,
John B.

This is a comfortbike

https://www.omafiets.nl/altec-omafiets-basic-zwart

popular in the Netherlands among teenagers because they can easily
operate their smart phones

Lou

I tend to think of something like this.
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/n...nshktmrck15cmf

Quite an upright riding position, large padded seat, high flat handlebars,
minimal front suspension, step through frame. Whenever I see somebody
riding one it reminds me of a person riding an ostrich because they're so
upright.

grocery panniers? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 69 January 22nd 10 06:18 AM
grocery panniers? thirty-six Techniques 0 January 19th 10 08:03 PM
Grocery getter OzCableguy Australia 7 March 2nd 06 12:43 PM
Grocery getter craigster_jd Australia 1 February 28th 06 02:13 PM
Grocery capacity Earl Bollinger General 24 January 10th 06 10:29 AM