60 year driving ban

Old October 5th 03, 11:47 AM
tony R

Default 60 year driving ban

I know it's a different jurisdiction to that usually discussed here but I
thought some of you might like this from yesterday's Irish Times.
"A teenage repeat offender was detained for one year and banned from the
roads for 60 years for breaking into and attempting to take two cars. Judge
John Coughlan made the order at the Dublin Children's Court after the boy
(17) had pleaded guilty to two counts of unlawfully interfering with the
mechanism of cars and two counts of criminally damaging them, to the value
of 1300 euro, the court heard."
The Irish Times website is mainly subscribers only so I can't post a link.
The rest of the story asserts that the boy "had a number of previous
convictions. On April 2nd. last he was given a three year suspended sentence
for joyriding. On the same date, he was also detained for six months for a
car theft as well as for other charges of larceny and handling stolen goods.
Last December he had been disqualified from having a license for a year for
driving without a license or insurance."
A 60 year ban seems to send the right message, he was attepting to
drive while banned already after all. He'll still drive of course.
The added spice to all this comes from the fact that a week or so ago one of
our governing party's backbenchers ran down and seriously injured a
pedestrian whilst drunk. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a ban he
gets.
tony R.

Old October 5th 03, 11:47 AM
Nathaniel Porter

snip

I suppose its a start, but surely prison or maybe a curfew would be a more
effective punishment against those who drive while disqualified?

Old October 5th 03, 11:47 AM
Nathaniel Porter

Old October 5th 03, 11:48 AM
Tony Raven

tony R wrote:

A 60 year ban seems to send the right message, he was attepting to
drive while banned already after all.

Not so sure about that. He now has no prospect of ever driving legally so
what incentive is there for him? He'll probably continue as is judging by
his record but now he has nothing to lose. Maybe a 5-10 year ban to be
renewed based on behaviour might at least give a chance for him to reform as
he grows out of youth and settles down.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Old October 5th 03, 12:40 PM
Roger Barker

In article , tony R
writes
[snip]
A 60 year ban seems to send the right message,

[snip]

No, all it does is virtually guarantee that he will reoffend - exactly
the opposite of what is needed.

--
Roger Barker
Boston, UK

Old October 5th 03, 12:50 PM
tony R

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
tony R wrote:

A 60 year ban seems to send the right message, he was attepting to
drive while banned already after all.

Not so sure about that. He now has no prospect of ever driving legally so
what incentive is there for him? He'll probably continue as is judging by
his record but now he has nothing to lose. Maybe a 5-10 year ban to be
renewed based on behaviour might at least give a chance for him to reform

as
he grows out of youth and settles down.

Yes, I think I agree with you. What I actually meant was it sent the message
out to people in general that driving whilst banned would be treated
seriously.
tony R.

Old October 5th 03, 01:09 PM
tony R

"Roger Barker" wrote in message
In article , tony R
writes
[snip]
A 60 year ban seems to send the right message,

[snip]

No, all it does is virtually guarantee that he will reoffend - exactly
the opposite of what is needed.

As I thought I'd implied (through the sentence following the one you
partially quoted) it was the general message to society I thought was right.
After all the offender hardly needs a "message" - he has a jail term and ban
to deal with. Hope this makes my point clearer.
tony R.