Baldwin Street again...The Worlds Steepest Street

Old April 5th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
r-cormier

Default Baldwin Street again...The Worlds Steepest Street

damn, when I read the title, I thought it was something about zack
baldwin riding. o well haha

that is a really steep hill

--
r-cormier

raymond-
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

Every time I look at that street, it makes me wonder how many bulldozers
were killed in the making of it.

--
ivan

Did you know that lighter flame smells like burnt nose
hair?entropy isn't what it used to be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 5th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

ivan wrote:
Every time I look at that street, it makes me wonder how many bulldozers
were killed in the making of it.

I think the streets in Dunedin are the way they are because they were
planned from the other side of the world. In fact, most of the streets
are the same as in Edinburgh, Scotland. Unfortunately, the planners
forgot that there were hills in the way. So they built the roads
straight over them, instead of winding them around the hill.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 6th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

How's this compare to the steeper sections of slickrock in moab?
Similar except the street is longer? I can't really judge grade by
looking at it.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 6th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mgrant

Seager wrote:
How's this compare to the steeper sections of slickrock in moab?
Similar except the street is longer? I can't really judge grade by
looking at it.

The steep section at the beginning of the moab rim trail averages out
to about 21% (though there are sections that are much steeper). I'm
not sure about the slickrock trail.

-mg

--
mgrant

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/34my5c
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 6th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

I'd love to ride my bike down that street.

I find Unicycling down hills to be a pain in the ass. Not to mention
riding up one that steep.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old April 6th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tobbogonist

We have a hill. It is called spew hill (imaginative locals)

have not tried it on a unicycle. My campervan could not climb up it,
that is probably why it was a campervan and not a climbervan.

--
tobbogonist

ivan wrote:
Oh, right... So, if the cd player stops working, you break the glass and
get out the emergency violin to save the day?

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 15th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycledood

I imagine this hill is unglideable? I'm imagining vb or muzzle trying
it. Resulting in faceplants

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.

Old April 15th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Klaas Bil wrote:
That is actually the current plan!

Peleschramm, you don't have to judge from a picture. Baldwin street is
38% and you can measure 'your' steep street with this:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/inclinometer.htm

Apparently it's 'only' 35%, making it probably the 2nd steepest street
in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street,_Dunedin

Still absolutely insanely steep to ride up.

On the subject of insanely steep places to ride up, Ken - you should
try to ride up 'Mt Fyffe'
(http://www.tramper.co.nz/index.cfm?view=object&id=360) - that is
*very* steep, averages roughly 20% (1400m in 7km), but what they don't
tell you is that there are some flat sections in there so the steepest
bit is way steeper.

Joe

--
joemarshall