Cyclists I saw today 2

Old September 22nd 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aeek

Default Cyclists I saw today 2

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Ed Pirrero
wrote:

I have noticed this as well - everyone riding a bike, *except* lycra-
clad roadies, seem friendly toward other bikers. I wonder what is up
with these very self-serious roadies...

So why is it that riders in "normal" clothes totally blank me when I
say hello. Oh that's right, I'm wearing lycra
Old September 22nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 22, 5:54*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sep 22, 5:01 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
With a talent like that for missing the point, you must be a lawyer,
Jay. If you nod or raise a finger a couple of millimetres to everyone,
or stop to talk to people you meet on the road, because in a
particular milieu it is expected behaviour, you can also stop and talk
to the beautiful but lonely girls walking or riding (horses) along
these lanes.[...]
I am sure these women enjoy getting hit on by old men. end sarcasm

Don't be so negative, Tom. You're not old, you're merely middle-aged.

Without an ID check, I could fool people into thinking I was under 30.

"...and my friend/the shy young cyclist/with the light behind him/can
still pass for 43" -- with apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan

Andre Jute
Old September 22nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 22, 6:17*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:01*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
With a talent like that for missing the point, you must be a lawyer,
Jay. If you nod or raise a finger a couple of millimetres to everyone,
or stop to talk to people you meet on the road, because in a
particular milieu it is expected behaviour, you can also stop and talk
to the beautiful but lonely girls walking or riding (horses) along
these lanes.[...]

I am sure these women enjoy getting hit on by old men. end sarcasm

Married old men.

BTW, beautiful but lonely -- and waiting by the side of the road? *I
think Andre has read too many Penthouse letters -- or else he lives in
some male fantasy land and should sell tours.

Nah, Jay, you have mistaken my attitude for yours and Tom's. You two
*hit* on women, your sole purpose sticking out like a sore thumb. I
just talk to people who address me first, some of whom happen to be
women. I presume Penthouse is one of those magazines the newsagent
keeps under the counter for sad men in raincoats over their lycra, a
downmarket chinese copy of Playboy.

Hey, Tomlinson, here's a customer for you to hold up to public display
as "judgemental" (try spelling it judgmental):

Around here, the Lycra
clad lounge around coffee shops in their vivid outfits and chit chat
with the girls who feign disinterest. *I think Lycra is now part of
the dating scene. *If some old dork rode up on a comfort bike, the
hotties would throw up in their mouths. -- Jay Beattie.

In case you don't get it, John, Jay is saying that the lycra-clad
women judge the man by his bike, not his true worth, in short that
they are shallow. Now, if that isn't judgmental, what is?

No wonder roadies find it so hard to start and sustain a relationship,
and that an apparently larger percentage of them end up divorced old
misogynists.

And this is priceless:
I think Lycra is now part of
the dating scene.

What, do two people in lycra *smell* together? That stuff's plastic;
it doesn't breathe like natural fibre; and makes you perspire and
stink. That's must be a real come-on even for a desperate roadie.

Now I understand why so few women are roadies.

Andre Jute
The first requirement for an artist is to love women
Old September 22nd 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Lycra: the strip of the road hooligan, was Cyclists I saw today 2

wrote:
I have noticed this as well - everyone riding a bike, *except* lycra-
clad roadies, seem friendly toward other bikers. *I wonder what is up
with these very self-serious roadies...

So why is it that riders in "normal" clothes totally blank me when I
say hello. Oh that's right, I'm wearing lycra

Your fellows have already screwed you. Decent people are so used to
the the blank stares of the roadies, they are startled into immobility
when you prove not to fit the pattern they have come to expect. Try
riding in khakis and a poplin shirt just once and notice the different
attitude. Lycra has come to spell "road hooligan" the same way
football strip has come to spell "football hooligan", in both cases
unfairly to the exceptions who might even be the majority for all I
know.

Andre Jute
No fashions or fashionables need apply
Old September 22nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 22, 6:26*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:01 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
With a talent like that for missing the point, you must be a lawyer,
Jay. If you nod or raise a finger a couple of millimetres to everyone,
or stop to talk to people you meet on the road, because in a
particular milieu it is expected behaviour, you can also stop and talk
to the beautiful but lonely girls walking or riding (horses) along
these lanes.[...]
I am sure these women enjoy getting hit on by old men. end sarcasm

Married old men.

BTW, beautiful but lonely -- and waiting by the side of the road? *I
think Andre has read too many Penthouse letters -- or else he lives in
some male fantasy land and should sell tours. Around here, the Lycra
clad lounge around coffee shops in their vivid outfits and chit chat
with the girls who feign disinterest. *I think Lycra is now part of
the dating scene.

Sure the disinterest is feigned?

Hey, Tomlinson, here Jay is once more doing his judgmental "all women
are shallow gold diggers thing":

If some old dork rode up on a comfort bike, the
hotties would throw up in their mouths.

Just thought you'd like to know. I do so love feeding time at the zoo.

Andre Jute
And a big red apple for the teacher

Sounds about right.

“Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk.” - gene daniels

Old September 22nd 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Our roadies right or wrong? was Cyclists I saw today 2

On Sep 22, 11:34*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:23:47 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
made a
completely neutral non-judgemtal obersrvation about a :

distinct group ofsurly
*******s on the roads.

*Of course* I'm judgmental. It is what I do for a living, you clown.
It is what all good novelists are supposed to do, every artist in
fact. I'm a critic besides, and a revolutionary (a violent critic of
entire societies and nations) certified by sovereign governments
sending assassins after me. How the hell do you expect me not to be
judgmental? Put your mind in gear, sonny, if you still have one.

And, when you have your mind in gear, consider that I didn't start out
judgmental about the roadies until you clumsily put your foot in the
cowpat. For instance, my first post, mentioning a "grunting piggery of
roadies" was merely descriptive; that's just what the passing peloton
sounds like. Only later did I ascribe motive for and describe
consequences of their deplorable arrogance, that is, pass judgement.
But you can't distinguish between the two modes of thought; you're a
sad commentary on modern politically correct "education", John Forrest
Tomlinson.

I also think you're being harsh on Ed Pirrero: he was merely wondering
about the observed behaviour of the roadies; no reason for you to
hound him like that. Are we supposed to overlook arrogant behaviour by
other cyclists simply because we share their hobby? Or should we
overlook their foul manners only when they wear the right hooligan
lycra strip?

Andre Jute
Bored with this petty bull****
Old September 22nd 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:01 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
[...]

Spend much time around women?

--
Michael Press
Old September 23rd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Pirrero

On Sep 21, 5:17*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:45:01 -0700 (PDT), Ed Pirrero

wrote:
On Sep 21, 3:33*pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:08:51 -0700 (PDT), Ed Pirrero

wrote:
It might not be neutral, but it says nothing about anything *except*
their outward appearance.

Maybe you could tune your mind-reader and tell me exactly what
judgment I'm arriving at. *That would be very helpful.

That roadies are less nice than you. *

Bzzzt. *Your mind-reading fails.

I'm curious as to why they do not respond in the way that every other
cyclist does. *The only possible conclusion I could come to with any
certainty, from the data that I possess, is that these folks are less
outwardly friendly than other cyclists.

"Nice" has nothing to do with it, and I can't possibly know that
without knowing the person in question.

Try again.

I'm curous why you care.

Why are you assigning yet another emotion? I don't "care", I'm
CURIOUS.

[snip made-up stuff]

I get annoyed at guys like you

[snip yet MORE made up stuff]

John, when you come back to Earth, let me know. The majority of that
last post was worthless jabbering.

E.P.

Old September 23rd 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Pirrero

On Sep 21, 7:17*pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 20, 10:09 pm, Ed Pirrero wrote:

wrote:
I have noticed this as well - everyone riding a bike, *except* lycra-
clad roadies, seem friendly toward other bikers. *I wonder what is up
with these very self-serious roadies...

I wonder what is up about people who appear so judgemental of the
behaviour of others.

Exactly. *Why are these roadies so unfriendly? *When every other type
of biker can spare a wave and a smile, these road warriors have the
look of grim death about them.

Being curious as to the mindset is being judgmental? *Under which
paradigm would this be true, John? *I'm curious (and not being in any
way judgmental to you or your post, BTW.)

Ed,

Maybe it's because they can tell you have a chip
on your shoulder.

Holy ****, do you guys love to make stuff up!

A smile and a small wave to other cyclists. We all seem to do it
here, except one group. From that you make up that I have a "chip on
my shoulder."

Not having seen any of what transpires. [shakes head]

And yes, there ARE some communities where drivers wave at one another
as they pass. BTDT.

E.P.
Old September 23rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Pirrero

On Sep 21, 4:44*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 21, 3:11*pm, Ed Pirrero wrote:

On Sep 21, 1:39*pm, wrote:

On Sep 20, 7:31 pm, Ed Pirrero wrote:

On Sep 20, 4:01 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

Also three mountainbikers seen in the town, presumably coming in from
somewhere, possibly just a ride in the lanes, but with bikes dirty
enough to have found somewhere offroad. They gave me a cheery hello
and a wave, so much more pleasant than the grunting piggery with which
roadies pass one.

I have noticed this as well - everyone riding a bike, *except* lycra-
clad roadies, seem friendly toward other bikers. *I wonder what is up
with these very self-serious roadies...

E.P.

Surely, not ALL "lycra-clad roadies" are unfriendly.

I haven't seen one that even acknowledges my existence. *All other
biker types seem to be at least outwardly friendly. *I find the
correspondence odd, to say the least.

I try to wave, nod, or acknowledge every other
cyclist I see on the road ("lycra-clad roadies", guys working their
tails off on $50 Wal-Mart bikes, and everyone in between).

Same here.

To others, it may be inappropriate,
a waste of energy, an interruption of their train of thought, or
whatever. *Don't let in ruin your day or your ride.

,
It doesn't ruin anything. *Just makes me curious.

E.P.- Hide quoted text -

I don't waive to everyone I pass in a car. *I don't waive to everyone
I pass walking either. *Why should I waive to everyone I pass riding?

You shouldn't. You should do what you please. But if you are doing
something differently than the VAST majority of other folks doing
similar activities, is it outside of the realm of possibility that the
others might be curious?

Seriously, that's a real question. Give it some thought.

E.P.