First SCARY UPD on guni

Old August 14th 05, 02:37 AM
David_Stone

Default First SCARY UPD on guni

I've been writing updates about my geared uni

http://tinyurl.com/adbmq

but this afternoon, I had my first scary UPD. In fact, this was the
first one where I have actually NOT landed on my feet. Luckily I was
able to walk away from it, tho.

I was pedaling up a hill that was about to flatten out, so I was trying
to switch up to the high gear. I clicked the button with my ankle as
usual, but I may not have hit it completely. I felt it change gears, but
then I felt (and heard) a clacking, like the sound that baseball cards
made years ago when kids put them in the spokes of their bikes. This was
probably the pins hitting the shifting mechanism and not quite engaging.
Next I felt the gears complete slip as tho I had tried to shift gears
again, and while the uni was in its brief glide mode, I slipped
backwards, landing completely flat on my back. Luckily I was carrying a
small package in one hand and holding my extension in the other, so both
my elbows stayed away from the ground; my hands were at my hips when I
hit the pavement. My back was very straight, and that's why (for the
first time ever) my helmet hit the ground too (albeit very softly -- not
enough to dent it or leave an obvious scratch). I was able to get up and
continue my ride without further problems.

Florian just mentioned that his guni's pins disengaged, causing him to
have a UPD while pedaling hard up an alp. In my case (and possibly in
his, too), the UPD was probably caused by the pins not fully catching
into their locked position.

I think that until Florian knows more about the matter -- or until I've
had more practice shifting well -- I'll strongly consider hopping off in
order to shift. After all, I rarely shift anyway (maybe 1-3 times per
ride), and I'd rather ride safely than save a few seconds but risk a
worse fall. I think I got really lucky this time.

It's a great unicycle -- that's for sure. I loved riding over 18 mph
without even pushing myself as I rode home later, and when I shifted
back to low gear, it felt nice to ride a 29" uni once again -- still
pretty fast, but much easier to manouver. I still strongly recommend
the uni, but I think riders need to be careful, and I'd avoid lots of
hops and drops until we've had more info from other riders.

David Stone

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

GUNI is here!!! David_Stone Unicycling 78 September 7th 05 10:24 PM
Scary! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 24 May 26th 05 07:23 PM
scary encounter. Callistus Valerius Techniques 42 May 16th 05 12:19 PM
Sierra Club -- cycling is scary [email protected] General 46 January 24th 05 06:12 PM
Scary... John Harlow Mountain Biking 6 October 9th 03 05:55 PM