Best book for do-it-yourself bicycle repair

Old August 28th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michie

Default Best book for do-it-yourself bicycle repair

I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

Old August 28th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

Michie wrote:
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

the park book and the zinn books are okay. they're adequately wordy and
unafraid to go into depth to be viable for actually dealing with stuff,
whereas a lot of books (the Bicycling one is a good example) take a
more dumbed-down and useless approach. none of them are anywhere near
perfect. sheldonbrown.com is a very valuable resource too.

Old August 28th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

Michie wrote:
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

Michie,

I would recommend the Haynes Bicycle Book, which has good reviews not
only from me but from others too, as you'll see on amazon.com.

Its not too verbose and highly detailed like the park books so I don't
know what will disappoint you. Thanks.

-.B.D

Old August 28th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Michie wrote:
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

The two Zinn books are good ones...

Old August 28th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Michie wrote:
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair ...

Another endorsement for Zinn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931382697/sr=1-1/qid=1156773540/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1842930-9756007?ie=UTF8&s=books

Regards,
Larry

Old August 28th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat in TX

This might seem like a dumb question for you, but it has been bothering me
for awhile. When someone says to turn the cable adjuster one half turn
counter clockwise, how is the person oriented? If I am on my bike and reach
down with my right hand and turn the adjuster counter clockwise, that's
clockwise to someone standing in front of the bike. So, can you tell me
which is it? Are those directions understood to be used by someone standing
facing the front of the bike? Thanks,

Pat in TX

Old August 28th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sally

In article , Pat in TX wrote:
This might seem like a dumb question for you, but it has been bothering me
for awhile. When someone says to turn the cable adjuster one half turn
counter clockwise, how is the person oriented?

When in doubt, assume that the person is sitting on the bike seat.
Old August 28th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Collin O'Neill

Pat in TX wrote:
This might seem like a dumb question for you, but it has been bothering me
for awhile. When someone says to turn the cable adjuster one half turn
counter clockwise, how is the person oriented? If I am on my bike and reach
down with my right hand and turn the adjuster counter clockwise, that's
clockwise to someone standing in front of the bike. So, can you tell me
which is it? Are those directions understood to be used by someone standing
facing the front of the bike? Thanks,

Pat in TX

Usually counter-clockwise and clockwise directions assume the (home)
mechanic is facing the head of the screw or bolt. Where you are seated
is irrelevant. In the case of the cable adjuster, the part that rotates
is the bolt, so looking down at the top of the adjuster is where you
would be turning it counter-clockwise per the instructions.

This works because almost all screws and bolts go in clockwise. There
are understandable exceptions like bottom brackets.

-Collin
Old August 28th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron

Michie wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

What of the Sutherland Bicycle manual? is this any good? if the price is a
reflection.....(?)

Old August 28th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Michie wrote:
I'm in the market for a practical guide to bicycle repair, so I'm
looking for opinions since there are a plethora of them available.

I'd like a book that covers older as well as newer bikes, so that I
will be able to keep my new Cannondale in tune without having to leave
it at the bike shop for a week or more for every little thing, but can
also can help me in restoring/rebuilding one of those sweet vintage
steel bikes.

The Barnett Bicycle Institute makes their shop manual available for
purchase. The CD version is $85.

www.bbinstitute.com

Previous versions of their manual are floating around the web for
download.

Tom