Koxx "ISIS" cranks removal... How is it done...?

Old October 27th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Default Koxx "ISIS" cranks removal... How is it done...?

Removed the cranks... I just modified the plug a bit with a file..

Anyway, UDC didn't have the bearings in stock, so I was recommended to
grease up the bearings to keep it dandy for a few weeks.

One new thing I learnt: ISIS hub bearings are small in comparison to
other types of spindle bearings, just like the bike world's Bottom
Brackets (ISIS bb's die the quickest due to smaller bearings). So I
guess one theory as to why my bearing has gone poop so fast is that the
bearings are reasonably small. I mean, I bought the wheelset off
Municycle.com in nearly July, and I'm hardly the roughest of trials
riders at all. And also, I've used a pre-owned set of Profiles for
longer and those bearings were still perfect (and noticable larger than
that of the koxx ball bearings)

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add, I'm always up for a
good chat and get to know other unicyclists

*coming soon: the Joe Hodges trials video... and shorter one-day vids
from sponge&joe in the near future!*
Sponge's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11883

Old October 27th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

Hoorah !!!

--
iridemymuni

munipsycho wrote:
Just a bit of advice: never vomit while wearing a full-face helmet.

irvinegr wrote:
haha i just thaught it was funny the title is "3th movie"

pixystix6 wrote:
oo give him and intising lap dance while he rubs pasteries all over you

'Bike Coalition!!' (www.bikecoalition.com)
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old October 27th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

I guess I'll have to buy several pairs of Koxx bearings in the
future... knowing how they are now..

Old October 28th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manon1wheel

Sponge wrote:
The biggest problem is that one of the bearings are loose, sorta.. Well,
let me explain:

The bearing is made of 3 pieces if you look at it side-on: The smallest
silver ring that touches the hub spindle, then the black rubber layer,
and then the biggest silver ring which touches against the frame.

Now, basically, the 2 bigger parts of the bearing are wobbling a bit
against the smallest ring. If this can be repaired, then new bearings
aren't gonna be as crucial.

Any ideas people?

tighten up your bearing casings. i had that problem a while back. but
make sure you dont tighten them too much. make sure they arent too
tight by spinning the wheel. if it doesnt spin freely..its to tight.

--
manon1wheel

Amgallacher: hi, im amanda, im skinny and i ride a unicycle, wanna go
out sometime?
need some new gear? Go to '661' (www.sixsixone.com) for some of the
best gear around!
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Old October 28th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

No, that's not the point you see.. I'm really not that stupid, I know
how to service bikes and unicycles quite well. The fact you mentioned
above is extremely obvious!

I meant that if you took the wheel out of the frame and felt one of the
bearings by pinching it with 2 fingers and rocking it about, you could
feel some 'play' within the bearing itself. But I've half-sorted it out
by following Roger's advice by greasing it up megaaa..

Old October 28th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onetrack

Sponge wrote:
I meant that if you took the wheel out of the frame and felt one of the
bearings by pinching it with 2 fingers and rocking it about, you could
feel some 'play' within the bearing itself.

That's normal. You'll feel that on a brand new bearing.

--
onetrack

"People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
lines."
-Klaas Bil

I pulled a sick trey varial hickflip over an 8 set yesterday, but
unfortunately it was supposed to be seat in to seat out. I've named it
the dioflip
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

Old October 29th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Sponge wrote:
I meant that if you took the wheel out of the frame and felt one of the
bearings by pinching it with 2 fingers and rocking it about, you could
feel some 'play' within the bearing itself. But I've half-sorted it out
by following Roger's advice by greasing it up megaaa..

I wouldn't worry about the hub bearings too much. They're not going to
fail catastrophically on you. It's not critical to have them replaced
immediately. You're not likely to have a ride ruined because they fell
apart on you.

Now, if they were sealed pedal bearings I'd counting the days till they
fail catastrophically. Sealed pedal bearings are about to die when
they get play like that.

What generally happens to hub bearings is that they just wear out
(they're rough and won't spin smoothly) or get gummed up with dirt.
Then it's time to replace them. I've not known any to actually fall
apart. It would be possible though if one or more of the ball bearings
inside actually got crushed or split and then destroyed the cage inside
(a ring that spaces out the individual ball bearings inside). Then it
could fall apart.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Dirty Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old October 29th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

JC is yet again SO CORRECT! On your standard 6303 bearing (17mm x
40mm), the static load rating is 1040 lbs., and dynamic rating (i.e.
spinning) is 1940 lbs.
Not likely to fail unless you're a nutty professor.

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old October 29th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

unisk8r wrote:
JC is yet again SO CORRECT! On your standard 6303 bearing (17mm x
40mm), the static load rating is 1040 lbs., and dynamic rating (i.e.
spinning) is 1940 lbs.
Not likely to fail unless you're a nutty professor.

whereh you get these figures from?

i wanna see ones for other bearings

thanks

--
iridemymuni

Old October 29th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

There are many retail bearing sites, most of which all sell the same
stuff.
One is EHI Bearing Distributors in CA. Their site is:
http://www.bearingsdirect.com/products and they list the load ratings.

The regular ISIS bearings for bike bottom brackets are like 21.5mm ID x
31mm OD, and that's why so many ISIS bottom brackets fail - that is a
relatively thin bearing with small balls (never a good thing!). But
for us, we generally use 42mm OD, so the ISIS bearings should hold up
alot better, and have a high load rating.
OTOH, my understanding is that the KH ISIS axle is 22mm diameter, and
there are not many bearings with a 22mm ID. Since KH is definitely
42mm OD, does anyone know for sure what the bearing ID is?
The KOXX axle is apparently 20mm, and there are more available bearings
sizes for that.