How to get frozen pedal spindles out of crank arms without ruining the cranks?

Old May 28th 04, 09:06 PM

Default How to get frozen pedal spindles out of crank arms without ruining the cranks?

Rick Onanian writes:

that didn't help much. I have broken a 15mm combination wrench and
have sprung its replacement without the spindle flats budging.

Try a proper pedal wrench. They are made very tough for this reason,
and have lots of leverage.

Good long handled end wrenches from Snap-On or even Sears Roebuck are
far better material than most bicycle specific pedal wrenches.

http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3
http://tinyurl.com/33aw3

These wrenches have too wide jaws for pedals with miniature wrench
flats but they work for my Campagnolo and Shimano pedals. I have a
Park Tools pedal wrench for the narrow slot ones but it's jaws are
deformed because they are too weak.

Jobst Brandt

Old May 28th 04, 09:37 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:06:35 GMT,
wrote:

Rick Onanian writes:

that didn't help much. I have broken a 15mm combination wrench and
have sprung its replacement without the spindle flats budging.

Try a proper pedal wrench. They are made very tough for this reason,
and have lots of leverage.

Good long handled end wrenches from Snap-On or even Sears Roebuck are
far better material than most bicycle specific pedal wrenches.

http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3
http://tinyurl.com/33aw3

These wrenches have too wide jaws for pedals with miniature wrench
flats but they work for my Campagnolo and Shimano pedals. I have a
Park Tools pedal wrench for the narrow slot ones but it's jaws are
deformed because they are too weak.

Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

For $38.25 plus shipping and tax, that single 15 mm Snap-On
wrench is a bit expensive:

http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3

You'd think for that price, their web site would show the
pricey wrench itself instead of warning that the "Image
shown may not be actual product but represents product or
set which includes product."

For all I can tell from that disclaimer, SnapOn might ship
me one of these wrenches:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/Content/ProdImages/f02996_lg.jpg

Carl Fogel

Old May 28th 04, 10:23 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:37:03 -0600, wrote:
For all I can tell from that disclaimer, SnapOn might ship
me one of these wrenches:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/Content/ProdImages/f02996_lg.jpg

That's not a wrench, it's a Sixth Hand cable routing tool.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 28th 04, 10:45 PM
Steve Shapiro

http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3[/url]
http://tinyurl.com/33aw3"]http://tinyurl.com/33aw3
These wrenches have too wide jaws for pedals with miniature wrench flats
but they work for my Campagnolo and Shimano pedals. I have a Park Tools
pedal wrench for the narrow slot ones but it's jaws are deformed because
they are too weak.
Jobst Brandt

Take a look at this one
http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/tools/19051.html The Eldi wrench
forged, long and thin enough to fit any pedal. Nice tool. Steve Shapir

-

Old May 28th 04, 11:01 PM

Steve Shapiro writes:

that didn't help much. I have broken a 15mm combination wrench
and have sprung its replacement without the spindle flats
budging. Try a proper pedal wrench. They are made very tough
for this reason, and have lots of leverage.

Good long handled end wrenches from Snap-On or even Sears Roebuck
are far better material than most bicycle specific pedal wrenches.

http://tinyurl.com/yrvl3
http://tinyurl.com/33aw3

These wrenches have too wide jaws for pedals with miniature wrench
flats but they work for my Campagnolo and Shimano pedals. I have a
Park Tools pedal wrench for the narrow slot ones but it's jaws are
deformed because they are too weak.

Take a look at this one.

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/tools/19051.html

The Eldi wrench is forged, long and thin enough to fit any pedal.
Nice tool.

Others make such claims as well but I ma not convinced that the Eldi
wrench is any better than the Park Tool one I have and other bicycle
specific wrenches I have used. Their jaws all mushed out on pedals
that came out with difficulty. For that reason I use the Snap-on 15mm
long combination wrench. Besides, my pedals come out easily now that
they don't fret and weld their threads anymore after I modified the
attachment.

Jobst Brandt

Old May 29th 04, 05:43 PM
Phil Brown

Snap-on makes beautiful tools...a cut above the rest in finish and
durability.

And about 3 cuts above in price. I use Snap-on sockets and small combo wrenches
but for every thing else Craftsman works as well, has a good guarentee and
costs a third to half of Snap-on.
Phil Brown
Old May 31st 04, 06:03 AM
ZeeExSixAre

I have tried soaking them in
Liquid Wrench but that didn't help much.

Try soaking the joint in a solvent like iquid wrench over night.

Something about these three lines doesn't compute...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 31st 04, 06:06 AM
ZeeExSixAre

Ron Hardin wrote:
Of course check that you're turning the proper direction. The left
pedal is threaded backwards.

OP, another way of thinking of it is to turn the wrench towards the back of
the bike, so counter-clockwise for the right pedal, and clockwise for the
left pedal.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 31st 04, 03:00 PM
Mark South

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message
I have tried soaking them in
Liquid Wrench but that didn't help much.

Try soaking the joint in a solvent like iquid wrench over night.

Something about these three lines doesn't compute...

Yeah, the joint would be easier to light but it would probably taste funny.

BB and pedal thread direction - WHY? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 49 May 13th 04 09:14 AM
Longer crankarms Jiyang Chen Racing 129 March 18th 04 12:37 PM
Trek Crank Length Garrison Hilliard Techniques 84 February 10th 04 06:05 PM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM