My CF Adventure

Old March 23rd 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default My CF Adventure

On 3/23/2013 9:03 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 3/22/2013 1:00 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:48 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 1:46 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Mar 19, 11:34 pm, Jay Beattie
wrote:

On 3/11/2013 8:13 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

'97 Toyota 4Runner (about 60K miles). The ski car --
going to
University of Utah with my son.
2011 Subaru Outback. The wife's car and general
do it all
car.

My son's not a big driver, and I doubt the truck will
get much use --
except to drive up the canyons to go skiing. I agree
that he doesn't
need it -- it's more of a "want it" thing and
something for us to use
when we come visiting. I'm not so sure about this
decision, and
things may change.

Too bad University of Utah doesn't have a Zip Car
program. Sounds
like that's what your son needs.

Why would he need that if he has the ski car?

The idea is "instead of," not "in addition to."

So let's see. I'm away at college. I can either have my
own car,
capable of hauling my skis and what not, available for my
exclusive
use, or I can do some kind of car share thing and my
buddies can hold
my skis in their lap with the tips out the open window and
try not to
ding them up. *My* idea was that - in comparison - the
zip car is not
that much of a step up from just taking the bus, and the
choice is a
no-brainer.

Or you (general you) could concentrate on getting an
education instead of blowing your parent's money on
foolishness such as downhill skiing.

I have the perfect vehicle for getting around on campus - a
Xootr MG. Faster overall for short distances than a bicycle
when the time it takes to lock up a bike properly is
considered, and of course faster than walking. Used one in
graduate school, and no one ever complained about me
bringing it into a building when it was folded up.

http://www.xootr.com/kick-scooter_mg.html

When I was a freshman, I dated a girl whose father was about
my size and would regularly loan me his skis & boots, hand
me the car keys and $20 and say "take Joanie skiing".

Quite an education IMHO.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 13, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 20, 1:46 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Mar 19, 11:34 pm, Jay Beattie
wrote:

[...]

$20? Holy crap, I spend more than that on gas. Day lift tickets are
horrendously expensive. Season season passes are a deal and pay for
themselves after six or seven times up. Our usage drives the
effective price down to about $25 a day -- slightly less for my son
who has more days on the snow and a cheaper season pass price. I've
been driving up with my son forever, and the education for me is
listening to him and often his loopy friends who fill out the back
seat. My wife has been going consistently for the last two years,
too, even though she is disabled and sticks to the greens and blues.
I love cycling, but nothing in road cycling (can't say about mountain
biking) compares to skiing a challenging run, which is often just as
exhausting as cycling, particularly if there is a long hike up or hike
out.

So, riding today and skiing tomorrow. Just got a call from my neighbor
-- a strong rider and now semi-retired racer. Time to get ready to go
and get beat up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:58:35 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

When I was a freshman, I dated a girl whose father was about my size and
would regularly loan me his skis & boots, hand me the car keys and $20
and say "take Joanie skiing".

Quite an education IMHO.

Skiing. Never heard that euphemism before.
--
davethedave
Old March 23rd 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 23, 10:09 am, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip

I love cycling, but nothing in road cycling (can't say about mountain
biking) compares to skiing a challenging run, which is often just as
exhausting as cycling, particularly if there is a long hike up or hike
out.

It's true that skiing is special, but...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...b3b2d8fa9843e0

snip
Old March 23rd 13, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 22, 11:55*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:38 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

Right. *,,, If a
college kid is doing things right...

And we all know who is the arbiter of "Right" ;-)

If a college kid is doing things right, he's not spending a lot of
time on or in his car.

I clearly remember counseling a student in my office, a guy who was
just not turning in much work, and even less correct work. Turns out
he was working long hours to pay for his hot Mustang. He described it
and its many custom features in loving detail. (I remember he was
also wearing an obviously expensive leather jacket at the time.)

I suggested he might want to spend much less money, cut back on work
hours, and put the time into studying. He responded "But chicks love
this stuff!"

He was gone next semester. My class was not the only one he failed.

In my view, that's not doing things right as a college student. Of
course, your opinion might be different, Dan.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 23rd 13, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Is there something you don't get upset about? Man, get a life.

Proper college dormitory:
http://datingjesus.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/v93.jpg

College entrance gate:
http://cdn3.vtourist.com/6/4462136-angola_state_prison_Tunica.jpg

Campus bus service:
http://media.nola.com/environment/photo/angola-inmates-elayn-huntjpg-4c74c91f6c0019e6.jpg

Physical education class:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2009/7/8/1247041072108/True-Stories-Maximum-Jail-001.jpg

Welcome to Our Campus!
http://cessocialjustus.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/angola-prison.jpg

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 23rd 13, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

take a light load, go summers, audit, learn Urdu somewhere else.date an ugly girl who swallows semen.

epicure
Old March 24th 13, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Dan O wrote:
[...]
I guess the idea is that you're a college kid so you rent a station
wagon from the zip car program when you need to carry your skis and you
avoid paying the cost to own the car when you don't often need it. This
cost includes insurance which can be substantial for the average college
student.

Right. People pay loan payments and insurance and lose depreciation
dollars whether their car is being used or is sitting parked. If a
college kid is doing things right, his car should spend almost all its
time parked.

Zip Car lets you pay only when you're using the car.

True. Like I said, I don't know if this is a good decision. It may
change. BTW, there is no Zipcar in SLC. They only exist in a small
number of cities -- at least according to the website. PDX is one of
them. SLC has excellent public transportation, including a city ski
bus that goes to Alta and Snowbird. A ski bus goes straight through
campus. My son could live without a car. I did, and I went to school
in much less accessible metropolitan area -- although I had access to
a car for things I couldn't do on a bike. My Zipcar was my big
sister's Toyota, at least until I met a fine girl with a VW.

I wonder how many of us got by with the help of a fine girl with a vw?
Old March 24th 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On Mar 21, 4:36 pm, Dan O wrote:
[...]

What do you suppose the chances are that someone else has already got
the station wagon (I didn't know they even had one) checked out on the
weekend in a ski town?

No idea. Though I have the impression by looking at their website that
they probably have more than "the station wagon" available. Seems like
they're quite organized and if they supply a need that prevents someone
from buying a car when they don't really need one, it works for me.

Old March 24th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 12, 5:17 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 03/12/2013 07:32 PM, gpsman wrote:

On Mar 12, 6:06 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 03/12/2013 02:36 PM, Duane H bert wrote:

I think that the analogy doesn't quite work with a bike though. A good
fit on the bike has a lot more to do with the steering, suspension and
power than a good fit in a car seat.

Meh... I've had a lot of cars that I ought to have liked if not ruined,
at least knocked down a few notches due to inability to fit properly
behind the wheel.

Well, you're a ****wit who thinks he's arbiter of "proper" everything
he knows less than nothing about because everything he thinks he knows
is wrong.

An odd thing that I've noticed in my current car is that if I am wearing
street shoes, I can adjust the controls for a good fit, but if I'm
wearing work boots with thick soles, I can actually tell the difference.

What's odd about that?

You're like the 8 year old that over-complicates simple things to
create the delusion of greater knowledge and/or skill and/or
accomplishment.
-----

- gpsman

No, you're an idiot stalker with an inflated sense of ego and
accomplishment who knows nothing about nothing and compensates for his
complete failure at life by trying to tear down his betters.

The very idea of "betters" is a Power Over, Reality I, perspective.