Interesting Article on Hydration for Endurance People

Old April 14th 05, 05:17 PM
Raptor

Slack wrote:

So how do you know or gage when you had too much H2o?

For me, it's a very vague symptom of feeling like the water just sloshes
around in my stomach, and that it's failing to refresh me.

I think the safest advice is to drink "water plus" while exercising for
more than an hour, as well as eat. Don't avoid salty or other mineral or
protein rich foods too aggressively, but carbs are what powers you best.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old April 14th 05, 09:51 PM
TBF::.

Default Interesting Article on Hydration for Endurance People

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Old April 14th 05, 10:38 PM
MattB

TBF::. wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Yup. It's true. My mom almost died from hyponatremia doing her first
Ironman in '87. It's a very serious condition that can sneak up on you.
I find electrolyte replacement drinks or caps on super-long or hot rides
help me a lot. Most of the time I just bring some salty snacks like some
baked chips or jerky. I think some people are also more prone to get it,
and we've found my mom, my brother, and I are all pretty susceptable.

Matt

Old April 15th 05, 03:58 AM
Mark Hickey

MattB wrote:

TBF::. wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7491948/

Yup. It's true. My mom almost died from hyponatremia doing her first
Ironman in '87. It's a very serious condition that can sneak up on you.
I find electrolyte replacement drinks or caps on super-long or hot rides
help me a lot. Most of the time I just bring some salty snacks like some
baked chips or jerky. I think some people are also more prone to get it,
and we've found my mom, my brother, and I are all pretty susceptable.

Due to the kinda stupid amounts of water I go through riding in
Arizona, I keep a small plastic tub of salt at my desk, and dip my
(moistened) finger into it probably 10-12 times a day, and use extra
salt on most of my food. I'm not sure, but I think it's helped with a
persistent headached I used to get riding in the summer.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 15th 05, 04:37 AM
Slack

--
Slack - been ****ing like a race horse for the past 2 days
Old April 15th 05, 05:47 AM
Slack

Raptor wrote:
Slack wrote:

So how do you know or gage when you had too much H2o?

For me, it's a very vague symptom of feeling like the water just sloshes
around in my stomach, and that it's failing to refresh me.

I've experienced that a few times. I hate that feeling.

I think the safest advice is to drink "water plus" while exercising for
more than an hour, as well as eat. Don't avoid salty or other mineral or
protein rich foods too aggressively, but carbs are what powers you best.

Now you tell me; I just hopped back onto my low carb diet.
--
Slack
Old April 15th 05, 06:25 AM
Bill Sornson

Slack wrote:

So how do you know or gage when you had too much H2o?

Just like over-tightening a bolt: back off right before it cracks; stop
drinking right before you croak.

HTH, BS

Old April 15th 05, 06:06 PM
Raptor

Slack wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I think the safest advice is to drink "water plus" while exercising
for more than an hour, as well as eat. Don't avoid salty or other
mineral or protein rich foods too aggressively, but carbs are what
powers you best.

Now you tell me; I just hopped back onto my low carb diet.
--
Slack

If you're serious, then be careful. Those diets are kinda stupid for
most people.