Odd, no talk of the Sony debacle

Old October 15th 05, 05:40 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Default Odd, no talk of the Sony debacle

MagillaGorilla wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:

"MagillaGorilla" wrote in message

B. Lafferty wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yeah but you should also know that there are plenty of sponsorships
that make no good marketing sense...Prime Alliance and Webcor were
borderline at best, and both were backed by guys interested in
cycling,
and what about QuickStep or Big Mat?

IIRC, QuickStep competes in Belgium with Berry Floor and has seen
significant sales increases from their sponsorship. You are
correect about personal interest playing a major part in many
sponsorships, particularly pre-Pro Tour teams. Others that come to
mind are Polti, Mapei and Molteni.

But would those increase in sales have happened anyway if they didn't
sponsors a team? Unless you know the internal operations of a
company, it is difficult to say from the outside what is most
responsible for driving sales/profits.

It could be that Berry simply opened more retail outlets in the past
3 years, and that the cycling team had nothing to do with increasing
sales.

From what was reported in CyclingNews, the incresed sales were
attributable to sponsorship. It is possible to increase brand awarness
and sales with such sponsorship. Motorola is another good example.
That is not to say that this is true of all sposonship. Much of it is
related to the interest of the company executives or owner. I doubt
that Mapei needed to sponsor a cycling team--the owner loves the sport
but not the drugs which is why he pulled out.

I think if you went back and read every single Wall Street analyst
report on Motorola stock trends, none of them would mention the Motorola
cycling team once.

The only thing the Motorola cycling team did is increase sales of
Chicklets everytime Phil Anderson opened his adulterer mouth.

That's pretty funny. We DO call those "chicklets" in the biz.

Steve

Besides, sales in the telecommunications sect is almost exclusively
technology-driven. It's not really driven by cute advertisements and
marketing gimmicks. Motorola had little or nothing to gain by way of
new sales through cycling.

Hell, most cycling teams don't even use their goddamn radios.

Magilla

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old October 15th 05, 05:54 PM
h squared

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Awww, I hate it when I agree with Lafferty, but he's right about that.

he picked today's winner, too.

Old October 15th 05, 07:32 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Motorola sells mostly to businesses, not your average consumer.

Dumbass -

Cell phones.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old October 15th 05, 07:36 PM
B. Lafferty

"h squared" wrote in message
news
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Awww, I hate it when I agree with Lafferty, but he's right about that.

he picked today's winner, too.

Zurich also.

I need some ideas for a talk! Quick! GizmoDuck Unicycling 5 May 3rd 05 10:19 AM
Devices for cyclists to talk to each other? Do they exist? (I'm thinking ultra-light, "blu-tooth" type technology...) ship UK 44 March 15th 05 08:31 AM
Sony bike radio Ron Hardin General 3 August 12th 04 08:26 PM
French super Lance fan K. J. Papai Racing 35 July 26th 04 03:33 PM
Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists Cycle America General 24 May 30th 04 01:53 AM