Converting solid axle (front) to QR

Old September 4th 05, 01:53 AM
Dan Burkhart

Default Converting solid axle (front) to QR

I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my bikes
when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I can't
convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings, I was
wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say 7/32nds.

The dropouts are 5mm thick, no lawer lips, but I do have tab washers
with a small hole, specially for QR skewers.
Is such a thing possible, or should I forget it?
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Old September 4th 05, 02:12 AM

Dan Burkhart writes:

I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my
bikes when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I
can't convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings,
I was wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say
7/32nds.

Unless you can change the bearing cups in the hub to some available
one for 7/32" bearing balls (Campagnolo etc) you cannot use larger
ones. Of course the hollow axle and cones are easy to find for 7/32".

The dropouts are 5mm thick, no lawer lips, but I do have tab washers
with a small hole, specially for QR skewers.
Is such a thing possible, or should I forget it?

Try getting some new lower end QR wheels.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 4th 05, 02:24 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Dan Burkhart wrote:
I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my bikes
when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I can't
convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings, I was
wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say 7/32nds.

Nope.If the axle is 9by1, any decent bike shop will have a hollow axle
and a QR...Put all the cones, spacers, locknuts onto hollow axle,
QR-done.