urgently need help re foldable tyre

Old April 12th 07, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Default urgently need help re foldable tyre

Well with one week to go and living in the sticks I am chasing a foldable
tyre (simply because it is easier to pack in the panniers). I am starting my
tour with 2 700c x 38 not quite slicks and want to carry an extra tyre "just
in case". We will be doing 350kms on dirt tracks towards the end of our trip
and because I do go on dirt roads for quite a few of our trips I am thinking
I would like to get a foldable tyre maybe 700c x 42? I just cant find any on
the net. Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be able to supply them
within a week? (my frame will support a 42 with brakes etc)
Thanks Kathy

getting quite technical in her old age!

Old April 12th 07, 09:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
stu

"just us" wrote in message
Well with one week to go and living in the sticks I am chasing a foldable
tyre (simply because it is easier to pack in the panniers). I am starting

my
tour with 2 700c x 38 not quite slicks and want to carry an extra tyre

"just
in case". We will be doing 350kms on dirt tracks towards the end of our

trip
and because I do go on dirt roads for quite a few of our trips I am

thinking
I would like to get a foldable tyre maybe 700c x 42? I just cant find any

on
the net. Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be able to supply them
within a week? (my frame will support a 42 with brakes etc)
Thanks Kathy

Have you tried coiling a normal tyre?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/c...r-folding.html

Old April 12th 07, 11:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Nick Payne

"stu" wrote in message

"just us" wrote in message
Well with one week to go and living in the sticks I am chasing a foldable
tyre (simply because it is easier to pack in the panniers). I am starting

my
tour with 2 700c x 38 not quite slicks and want to carry an extra tyre

"just
in case". We will be doing 350kms on dirt tracks towards the end of our

trip
and because I do go on dirt roads for quite a few of our trips I am

thinking
I would like to get a foldable tyre maybe 700c x 42? I just cant find any

on
the net. Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be able to supply them
within a week? (my frame will support a 42 with brakes etc)
Thanks Kathy

Have you tried coiling a normal tyre?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/c...r-folding.html

Duct tape works really well to package the coiled tyre. I wrap a coiled tyre
in duct tape so that it is completely covered and strap it to the outside of
one of my panniers as a spare when touring. I carried the same spare this
way for over a decade of touring before needing to use it, and the tyre was
in perfect condition when I unwrapped the duct tape.

Coiling the tyre can be a bit puzzling if you've never done it before.
Suggest you practice on an old tyre to get the trick of it first.

Nick

Old April 12th 07, 11:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Nick Payne wrote:
I carried the same spare this
way for over a decade of touring before needing to use it

Hmmmm.... that's about average I suppose. I have only destroyed one tyre
in about 25 years of cycling. Seems like a bit of a waste of energy to
cart around with you. A thornproof tube might be more useful on some
back roads.
Old April 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"just us" wrote:

Well with one week to go and living in the sticks I am chasing a foldable
tyre (simply because it is easier to pack in the panniers). I am starting
my tour with 2 700c x 38 not quite slicks and want to carry an extra tyre
"just in case". We will be doing 350kms on dirt tracks towards the end of
our trip and because I do go on dirt roads for quite a few of our trips I
am thinking I would like to get a foldable tyre maybe 700c x 42? I just
cant find any on the net. Can anyone suggest anywhere that might be able
to supply them within a week? (my frame will support a 42 with brakes etc)

Just get hold of some top quality tyres with a good puncture belt like -

Vittoria Randonneur
Schwalbe Marathon
Continental Contact series
(all come in 700C and 26")

I'm using the Vittoria Randonneur Cross in 26" size. On six wheels in our
household over the past two years we have had *no road-caused punctures at
all*. Zip. Zilch! I have pinched one tube in changing tyres, and my son's
paper round bike had an old leaking patch. Matthew has done close to 5000kms
on the paper round bike, while I have doen 8000kms on my tourer. My next
tyres will be the Vittorias, unless I can find some Schwalbe Marathon XRs
for a reasonable price - these tyres are bombproof, world expedition riders
swear by them. I feel so secure with these Vittoria tyres that I could
*almost* go on a tour without a spare tube :-) Almost, but not wise really.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 12th 07, 11:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveH

I too like the security of a spare casing, especially if away from
civilisation. When mending puctures I am often struck by how little rubber
there is between me and the road and how much I depend on it.

I coil up a wrire-beaded one and snug it down with cable-ties. This makes a
small convenient package. The centre can be used to pack other items, spare
tubes etc.

More demos on how to do it at:

http://www.ctc-cambridge.org.uk/Tyre...tyre-fold1.htm

Have a great trip, look forward to reading the report :-)

Dave H

(who is even older that Kathy)

Old April 13th 07, 12:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Nick Payne wrote:

Coiling the tyre can be a bit puzzling if you've never done it before.
Suggest you practice on an old tyre to get the trick of it first.

Having a 20" bandsaw with a blade just over two metres long I learnt
'coiling' a long time ago. The trick is having the teeth pointing away from
you. :-)

Theo

Old April 13th 07, 12:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Peter Signorini" wrote:

Just get hold of some top quality tyres with a good puncture belt like -

Vittoria Randonneur
Schwalbe Marathon
Continental Contact series
(all come in 700C and 26")

Wallingtons Bicycle Parts www.wallbike.com have the Schwalbe Marathon XRs in
700CX40 (folding) for $US57.
http://www.wallbike.com/tires.html

Expensive but as I said they are the tyre of choice for remote area
expeditions. Don't know if they can get it to you in a week, talk to them.
I've found them very reliable.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 13th 07, 05:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Peter wrote:

Hmmmm.... that's about average I suppose. I have only destroyed one tyre
in about 25 years of cycling. Seems like a bit of a waste of energy to
cart around with you. A thornproof tube might be more useful on some
back roads.

If you go offroads in the Cape York area, you do need spares. It would
the same in any place with hard woody shrubs that get burnt to the ground.
Old April 14th 07, 07:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Hello and Thank You Dave! I sat in front of the computer and just followed
your photos/info and it just folded really well Thank you.
The main reason I want to take a spare tyre is that we have half the
distance on little used roads and if I was to need a tyre the chances of
getting a 700 c one are probably next to nilch. If it was a 26" might be
able to get to the nearest station and buy one of a kids MTB but I cant see
them having Hybrids out there LOL
Goat head burrs, sharp rocks and tree stumps are going to be a big enough
problem without worrying about no spare tyre. The tyre will sit well in the
bottom of my pannier. Thanks!
Kathy