[OT] How to solve a problem

Old April 20th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default [OT] How to solve a problem

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 11:24:57 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 20:33:04 -0500, AMuzi scribed:
USA hasn't had an airline crash with fatalities for 11+ years.
Why?

11 years is SFA in the lifetime of an aircraft.
The USA has managed to export the final testing (Boeing 737-Max) to other
countries.

Boeing was selling the same plane domestically and abroad, subject to certain variations in seating, etc., and it was not making foreign airlines and passengers its beta testers. Some foreign pilots were not adequately trained to deal with faults in the MCAS system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneuv...ntation_System My brother was a Continental/United captain and flew (most) every plane in the Boeing line-up and retired as a Dreamliner captain. He told me that the MCAS system could be easily defeated in the event of a AoA sensor failure and runaway trim and that it was something that he and his Continental/United cohorts knew how to do. https://www.npr.org/2019/04/03/70948...7-max-training See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana...nes_Flight_214 A domestic crash in the last 11 years -- but by a foreign airline and again because of system complexities managed every day by domestic pilots.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 20th 21, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 5:43:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

There is absolutely no way to make an aircraft 100% safe. Anyone with even the brain of John should know that. The claim that in the event of a sensor failure that a poorly trained pilot could not control the aircraft is no different than it an engine failed or a fire started in the luggage area from something a passenger was carrying.
Old April 20th 21, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 3:13:26 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 10:56:51 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/18/2021 9:53 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 6:33:17 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
USA hasn't had an airline crash with fatalities for 11+ years.
Why?

https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/NY...ution/84848306

I mentioned US hospital-acquired infection deaths recently
which are a huge and growing number. Doctors,
administrators, nurses, regulators and insurance carriers
all agree this is serious and needs to be rectified.

Smart, educated, skilled (and professionally licensed)
people with high motivation form committees, hire
consultants, invent color codes and checkoff systems, engage
in myriad big training classes and seminars and so on.
Despite large numbers of capable dedicated people, every
program fails. Why?

Because our hospitals are filled with sick people, and the wide-spread and sometimes indiscriminate use of antibiotics has created super-bugs. Add to that the visitor and employee vectors. Imagine what the infection rate would be without all the PPE and protocols. The way to beat it would be to put people in bubbles with no visitors and feed them through glove boxes. http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/...hristmas-tree/ Maybe hit them with some ultraviolet lights and give the Chlorox.

If we're talking specifically about hospital-acquired infections, I'm
with Jay. The aircraft safety problem is actually far simpler. The
environment of the problem is much more regulated, and the problem is
far less influenced by those not directly involved.

However, there are factors that are similar. One book I read maybe 15
years ago noted that some doctors fail to maintain proper sanitation or
sterilization protocols. Hospitals that allowed even a lowly orderly to
anonymously report such behavior saw great improvements in hospital
acquired infections. I have no doubt that many doctors would howl
mightily if such programs were imposed on them.

Q: "What's the difference between God and a cardiac surgeon?"
A: "God doesn't think he's a cardiac surgeon."

Probably 80% of the work done by my firm is medical malpractice defense. I've seen very few if any malpractice cases based on hospital-caused infections. I do, however, have over a dozen COVID death cases involving the claimed failure to use PPE.

I've seen lots of cases involving the treatment of infection that was claimed as malpractice -- everything from MRSA to flesh-eating bacteria to various odd-ball tropical diseases. Some of the therapies are equivalent to injecting Kingsford lighter fluid.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, there's your problem. Everyone knows Zippo lighter fluid is the only stuff that really works.
Old April 21st 21, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 08:04:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

You don't even know what the MCAS system is, do you.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 23rd 21, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Apparently you sure don't MCA has nothing to do with anti-stall warnings or automatic stall correction that is hampered by loss of an angle of attack and airspeed sensor. I suggest you go back to pretending you're a crew chief.
Old April 24th 21, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

As I said, you don't even know what the MCAS system is, do you. You
even called it a "MCA" rather then the correct name and jabbering on
about stall anti-warning... of the device is "Maneuvering
Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS)" do you think you can
figure out what "Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation" means? Or
do we have to explain it word by word?
--
Cheers,

John B.