Riding and Weather.

Old April 22nd 21, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Riding and Weather.

Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your training?
Old April 22nd 21, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2021 2:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your training?

'I cried when I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.'

24 degrees F again this morning and I'm sure others suffered
worse. It's at least dry here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 22nd 21, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 3:57:46 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/22/2021 2:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your training?

'I cried when I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.'

24 degrees F again this morning and I'm sure others suffered
worse. It's at least dry here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

2-3 days ago we had SNOW overnight in mid Iowa. It melted by mid afternoon, but still it was snow on the grass. Mid April is spring time. Not snowy winter time. 50s daytime highs here for the next week. But it sounds like the 20 mph wind for Tom is the worst part, not the temp.
Old April 22nd 21, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 22 april 2021 om 21:10:39 UTC+2 schreef :
Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your training?

Yes you are lucky. Tomorrow my day off, 14 C, sunny skies and moderate wind.. I'm not complaining. 3300 km this year up to now, about average.

Lou
Old April 22nd 21, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

Seriously? Yikes. We've had sucker summer for the last week and a half, but its turning cool again and will rain this weekend. 83F last Sunday in PDX. I rode on Saturday and skied half-day with my son on Sunday until the snow got impossibly sticky and then went home and rode a little more. I'm going to do my last ski of the season tomorrow. We get sucker summer every year -- it goes away and you bundle-up and wait a month or two for the next sunny day.

I have no idea what my mileage is since I'm not training for anything and frequently ride a bike with no instrumentation, but that may change now I have my groovy Stages Dash. I'm way over 20K of climbing because my little after work, non-West Hills loop has 1400 feet of climbing, and I do that all the time plus weekend riding. I'm doing a different ride into the West Hills tonight with my son and my wife (on her ebike). She'll slaughter both of us -- me more than my son. They he's going back home to Utah. Waaah. So much for my draft.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 23rd 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 12:10:37 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:

Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself
to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes
painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to
ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better
conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your
training?

Training! For what?
If you want to ride, then you ride.
So long as we have food to tide us over(careful planing when shopping*),
I don't have to ride on any day. I ride because I want to.

* Toilet paper shortage? what toilet paper shortage. As the saying still
goes' **** poor planning on your part doesn't constitute and emergnc on
my part'

Old April 23rd 21, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 1:57:46 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/22/2021 2:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in your training?

'I cried when I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.'

24 degrees F again this morning and I'm sure others suffered
worse. It's at least dry here.

But in 24 F you don't do a 36 mile 1900 feet of climbing ride with all of the climbing over 7%. I want to do my sort of rides and not stand in a hot shower for 20 minutes to thaw out afterwards.
Old April 23rd 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 3:20:17 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I keep track of my mileage and climbing to be able to compare my year to year performance. Most people do. I also, like you, train up to the metrics I intend to do.
Old April 23rd 21, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

On 4/22/2021 2:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Maybe it is because I am just getting old, but I just can't bring
muself to go out and ride in 60 degrees into 20 mph winds. When
riding becomes painful it reduces the amount you're riding and then
also causes you to ride in less severe but not quite so
uncomfortable conditions.

Presently I have just short of 900 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing.

I realize that I'm lucky to be riding in California with a lot
better conditions than elsewhere but where are you presently at in
your training?

'I cried when I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.'

Cheapest shoes I ever bought.

Old April 24th 21, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

That depends on your tolerances, I’m certainly not bothered at -5 generally
generally needs to be below -10 before I feel cold, my gravel spins tend to
be 30/40 miles any climbs will generally be short sharp.

But I’m from the Welsh Mountains so retain that, ie tend start to feel too
hot beyond 20c/70f much happier well below that.

Roger Merriman.