Oaks Classic mtb race - 26 June (Blue Mountains, NSW)

Old June 10th 05, 12:50 AM
tony f

Default Oaks Classic mtb race - 26 June (Blue Mountains, NSW)

That's right folks, it's that time of year again. Time for the annual
Woodford to Glenbrook Classic race and fun run.

This event is a major fundraiser for Careflight, those wonderful people in
charge of the choppers we all bags not going home in, but we'll be ever so
grateful if we ever need their help. As such, it deserves our unqualified
support.

The race is approximately 25 kms long, and covers the firetrail section of
the Oaks track, before turning off not too long after the Oaks picnic ground
for the descent to Euroka clearing, a great picnic/camping area. It's all
firetrail - there is no singletrack in the race (afterwards, however, feel
free to ride back to the singletrack and enjoy!). There'll be food, drink
and prizes available at the end, and families can bring the car in to meet
you - tons of room for the kids to go completely mad!

We start in classes to separate the huge range of speeds and abilities
taking part, so all are welcome. It's generally a well spirited, fun event,
so silliness in the form of silly clothing, weird body or beard paint is
always appreciated. Nudity is tempting, but I've never been game - or
willing to subject more people to the horror of the tinsel - but even more
horrible!

The fast riders will finish in around 40 mins, but most us will be closer to
an hour or more - I'm normally just under the hour, but expect this year's
rougher track conditions will mean a slower race overall.

When: Sunday 26 June

Whe Starts from Woodford railway station, finishes at Euroka (near
Glenbrook)

How much? There's a $35 entry fee (remember - good cause!!)

Transport? Trains have been a problem in recent years with drivers and
guards objecting to the large numbers of bikes getting on - one year the
start was delayed by an hour to allow for the delays caused by CityRail's
inability to provide cyclist friendly trains. If you are going to catch the
train to the start, allow plenty of time to get there - catch the train
before if you can. Trains leave Glenbrook pretty much on the hour.

Registration: On the day at Woodford RFS station (Park St Woodford, first on
left past the station - you'll see it...). Also on the Saturday (25 June) at
the RFS station. Postal entries must be received by 17 June.

Start time: will depend on your entry class - can't find them on the site,
but have asked. Will post again when I know.

Track conditions: Downhills are very loose and rutted, lots of sand
collected where you'd expect sand to collect, but also plenty of relatively
smooth and fast fire trail. I expect there'll be a few fallers in the first
half of the race, and lots of pinchflats, as always.

Numbers: About 600 riders and 150 runners (runners start after riders, so we
don't mow them down!)

Entry forms and more info is available at Careflight's site:

http://www.careflight.org/site/index...v&page_id=2456

or

http://tinyurl.com/9lvu9

Some pix from the 2002 event can be seen at:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fathers/oaksracepix.htm

Did I mention it's fun? No? Well, IT'S FUN!!!

See you all there!

Tony F

Masters 3 fun men (really old farts)

Old June 10th 05, 01:09 AM
tony f

Default Oaks Classic mtb race - 26 June (Blue Mountains, NSW) (more info)

"tony f" wrote in message
That's right folks, it's that time of year again. Time for the annual
Woodford to Glenbrook Classic race and fun run.

snip
More info - direct from Careflight - NOTE THE INFO ABOUT TRAINS!!!! VERY
IMPORTANT!!!
"THE WOODFORD TO GLENBROOK CLASSIC

Sunday 26 June 2005

Information required for the day's success.

.. The first race commences at Woodford Railway Station at 9.30am.

.. Timing will be managed by Multi Sport Australia Greg Darcy.

Web www.multisportaustralia.com.au

.. Participants with bikes will not be allowed to board trains from Glenbrook
Station onwards. [*******s - Tony F] Trailers have been organized to
transport bikes. Trailers will leave Glenbrook Railway station at 8am and
then as needed. If you require transport via the trailer please contact
CareFlight- Yvette (02) 9689 8124. A shuttle service will be available for
people from Euroka Clearing to Glenbrook Railway Station.

.. A table will be located near the start line to collect any belongings you
would like taken to the finish line.

.. Must be at start line 30 minutes before your start to pick up your timing
chip.

.. Westmead Helicopter will be landing at Euroka Clearing followed by a
CareFlight Relay Race Cup Challenge.

o Westmead CareFlight helicopter will be landing at Euroka clearing at
12noon and it will be on display for 1 hour (depending on missions)

o CareFlight crew is going to take part in a CareFlight Relay Race Cup
Challenge. Our team will challenge the RFS, Ambulance, Police and Australian
Defence. Who will be taking the CareFlight Cup home?

.. A presentation of trophies will be held at the completion of the race at
the Euroka Clearing after the CareFlight Helicopter has landed.

.. At the Euroka Clearing there will be a picnic for all the family to enjoy.
There will be activities for young and old. There will be snacks on sale.

.. Springwood Lions Club will provide catering on the day including hot food
and cold drinks or you can BYO picnic lunch.

.. Parking is available on the northern side of Woodford Railway Station.
[there's not much, though 20-30 cars tops- Tony F]

.. The finish line is in the Euroka Clearing in the Blue Mountains National
Park. A park entry fee will be charged if entering by car.

.. Please ride within your capabilities - the track is a little rough and the
formed track is narrow.

.. Slow down for water bars - water bars are a raised mound across the track
used to deflect the storm water runoff - a water bar can cause loss of
control. [or fun! Tony F]

.. Heed all warning signs.

.. Water and first aid stations are every 5km throughout the race.

.. St Johns Ambulance will be in attendance.

.. If you see a runner or rider with a problem please advise the next marshal
station.

.. Riders: fix your number plate securely to the handlebars of your bike.

.. Runners: fix your number to your chest so it remains readable from the
front.

.. At the completion of the race you can return your race number to the
CareFlight tent and to be in the draw to win a fantastic prize.

.. In your pack you will find a ticket that has been placed in a box for your
chance to win a prize. Remember to bring your ticket along in case your
number is drawn out.

.. Photos from the day can be viewed and ordered on: www.careflight.org

If you require any further information please contact Yvette Nehme: (02)
9689 8124/0408 247 164.

Hope you have a fun day and look forward to meeting you."

Old June 12th 05, 12:46 PM
Book

"tony f" wrote in message

| "tony f" wrote in message
| That's right folks, it's that time of year again. Time for the annual
| Woodford to Glenbrook Classic race and fun run.
| snip
| More info - direct from Careflight - NOTE THE INFO ABOUT TRAINS!!!! VERY
| IMPORTANT!!!
| "THE WOODFORD TO GLENBROOK CLASSIC
|
| Sunday 26 June 2005
|
| Information required for the day's success.
|
| . The first race commences at Woodford Railway Station at 9.30am.
|
| . Timing will be managed by Multi Sport Australia Greg Darcy.
|
| Web www.multisportaustralia.com.au
|
| . Participants with bikes will not be allowed to board trains from
Glenbrook
| Station onwards. [*******s - Tony F] Trailers have been organized to
| transport bikes. Trailers will leave Glenbrook Railway station at 8am and
| then as needed. If you require transport via the trailer please contact
| CareFlight- Yvette (02) 9689 8124. A shuttle service will be available for
| people from Euroka Clearing to Glenbrook Railway Station.

How pathetic- thanks cityrail

ET Tu Antoni [email protected] Racing 1 September 25th 04 09:35 PM
Race report - first triathlon (long) Chris Durkin General 10 July 16th 04 05:00 PM
Big Race in Charlotte, NC in 2004 Tom Arsenault Racing 1 August 7th 03 01:25 PM