Something More Upbeat

Old July 25th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

Default Something More Upbeat

On Jul 24, 10:32 pm, Howard Kveck wrote:

7) Al Gore took money from the ChiComs.

Speaking of irony: Al Gore has a book titled "Assault on Reason"

Speaking of amusing: Borders had Al Gore's books in the science
section. (Sorta like having Castenada in the anthro section.)

r r skools failin us?

Anyway, good for Razmansun today. Levi did about the best I've ever
seen him do.

Old July 26th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 24, 7:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

I did the Windmill Century this last weekend and spotted a titanium
frame
that was really well made. I asked the owner who made it and he said
that
it
was a frame like http://www.habcycles.com/index.html

The welds were cleaner than the one's on my Litespeed manufactured
Eddy
Merckx EX Pro. The geometry visually appeared identical. They could
have
been the same bike but his had cleaner welds.

That's because the Chinese welders are supermotivated!

Ah, I'm so bad.

Seriously, a club-mate has a Habanero road frame, and he is very happy
with it. They're a great value, and it's a nice material.

Dumbass of the Month Club winner Ryan doesn't know that these are Russian
bikes.

Koach Kunich,

Was it a Habanero Cycles frame, http://www.habcycles.com/index.html,
or was it just "like" one? Because not only are Habaneros
made in China, not Russia, but the owner and proprietor of
Habanero, Mark Hickey, used to post in rbr and rbt until our
own JFT sent him to Usenet Guantanamo. Maybe you should get
a neurological checkup.

It was LIKE a Habanero and it was build supposedly in Russia which was where
I thought Habanero's were built as well.

Old July 26th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article om,
wrote:

On Jul 25, 5:58 am, wrote:
Was it a Habanero Cycles frame,
http://www.habcycles.com/index.html,
or was it just "like" one? Because not only are Habaneros
made in China, not Russia, but the owner and proprietor of
Habanero, Mark Hickey, used to post in rbr and rbt until our
own JFT sent him to Usenet Guantanamo.

I think Hickey just couldn't stand the thought that all of his Bush
chickens were coming home to roost and used JFT as a convenient
excuse.

I think that Hickey figured out that while there may be bigger, stupider
time-sinks than Usenet, it would take an effort to find them.

Alas, I haven't learned that lesson yet.

I briefly considered buying a Habanero but stopped because I wondered
what Hickey would be like if anyone ever disagreed with him about
needing warranty service.

I briefly considered hiring a based-in-France data analyst, but stopped
because I wondered if his work routinely exhibited the lack of data
density in the "Coalition Deaths" chart.

Also, I already know my limitations, and the best course of action.

(laziness and LIVEDRUNK, respectively, FWIW)

Old July 26th 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

On Jul 25, 10:54 am, Thurston Howell IV
wrote:
On Jul 24, 8:35 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote
That's because the Chinese welders are supermotivated!

Dumbass of the Month Club winner Ryan doesn't know that these are Russian bikes.
From the Habanero website:

Build quality. The frames are fabricated by an honest-to-goodness
aerospace builder in China, not some cookie-cutter bike frame factory.
The welders are aerospace certified and have 10-15 years of experience
(compare that with most builders). Their attention to detail and
experience shines through in the fantastic single pass welds, and in
the construction and alignment of all of the frame's components.
They're also a great group of people that I am honored to work with.
Plus, having lived in and traveled to China over the last 10+ years,
I've seen the difference that the free market economy is making in the
lives of the Chinese people, and I'm proud Habanero is a (small) part
of that.

Way to go Kunich.

I'm coming up on 5 years myself. If you ever get down to Hainan
Island, give me a call.

86 1351 883 8911

Ask for Meigui, Marian, or Miriam but please don't ask for Rose cause
I hate it when people call me that.

-M

(I figure if I can get phone calls from people who got my phone number
from bike shops that got it from someone in a bike club who got it
from someone else who thinks I'm a Chinese girl that speaks really
good English and likes bikes then it is useless even pretending that
the number is anything resembling private and is therefore safe to
post.)

Old July 26th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I think that Hickey figured out that while there may be bigger, stupider
time-sinks than Usenet, it would take an effort to find them.

Don't worry, according to Hawking all your time that gets sucked into the
rbr blackhole will eventually escape (is Hawking a mathematician who dopes
or an astrophysicist on amphetamines ?)
Old July 26th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 26, 2:57 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I briefly considered buying a Habanero but stopped because I wondered
what Hickey would be like if anyone ever disagreed with him about
needing warranty service.

I briefly considered hiring a based-in-France data analyst, but stopped
because I wondered if his work routinely exhibited the lack of data
density in the "Coalition Deaths" chart.

Ah. You haven't been thinking "small multiples." Speaking of which,
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/bringemon4.png

Old July 27th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I think that Hickey figured out that while there may be bigger, stupider
time-sinks than Usenet, it would take an effort to find them.

Don't worry, according to Hawking all your time that gets sucked into the
rbr blackhole will eventually escape (is Hawking a mathematician who dopes
or an astrophysicist on amphetamines ?)

I think he has a medical waiver either way.

Old July 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
wrote:

On Jul 26, 2:57 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I briefly considered buying a Habanero but stopped because I wondered
what Hickey would be like if anyone ever disagreed with him about
needing warranty service.

I briefly considered hiring a based-in-France data analyst, but stopped
because I wondered if his work routinely exhibited the lack of data
density in the "Coalition Deaths" chart.

Ah. You haven't been thinking "small multiples." Speaking of which,
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/bringemon4.png

Small multiples, yes, but what does this chart indicate other than that
cumulative death tallies always rise?

What I really want to know is when the death rate was high or low. The
stairstep sizes help with the idea (you can see the really deadly or
quiet reporting periods), but if you want the trend line, it's not clear.

I want to know when the death rate went higher or lower than normal, and
whether the long term trend is rising or falling.

Even that wouldn't affect the data density much, but I think it would
illuminate the most interesting thing this data carries.

That, and the cumulative total, which being a single number, doesn't
bear charting.

Old July 27th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 27, 4:31 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
[...]

On the day my daughter was born I took a photo of her hand in mine.
Not much data density: poorly lit photo of a baby's hand in an
adult's. However, I take a photo of her hand in mine each year on her
birthday. Thus far, the series is still short. Each single photo
carries little information. The photos in series are more interesting;
I hope that in twenty years (if the series lasts that long) they will
be far more interesting.

I actually now use the graph as an example for "when is smooth too
smooth?" to illustrate how the eye and brain process visual data. It
didn't start that way: when I started the graph the riser height of
each step was much clearer. I never thought the number of stairs would
be so large and that's part of the story, both in terms of visual
decoding and also data density. I've had to rescale the axes several
times, and that's part of the story, too.

And, to come back to your question about when the numbers of deaths
are high or low, I had posted this back when the President was
promoting The Surge:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/deathsbymonth.png

There had been clear seasonality in the coalition death tolls, so one
would think there is also seasonality in overall violence (not just
deaths of coalition soldiers). If so, then evaluating the effect of
The Surge (either on coalition deaths or more generally on overall
violence) should also take into account seasonality.

Old July 27th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:
[...]

An apology in advance he my notes will be curt, not because your post
doesn't deserve more time, but because I should be doing something else.

On the day my daughter was born I took a photo of her hand in mine.
Not much data density: poorly lit photo of a baby's hand in an
adult's. However, I take a photo of her hand in mine each year on her
birthday. Thus far, the series is still short. Each single photo
carries little information. The photos in series are more interesting;
I hope that in twenty years (if the series lasts that long) they will
be far more interesting.

I daresay you took that photo for the affective value, especially in
small multiples, rather than the data contained therein.

But I wouldn't put it past you to take height-and-weight numbers at the
same time . But...for both of you?

I actually now use the graph as an example for "when is smooth too
smooth?" to illustrate how the eye and brain process visual data. It
didn't start that way: when I started the graph the riser height of
each step was much clearer. I never thought the number of stairs would
be so large and that's part of the story, both in terms of visual
decoding and also data density. I've had to rescale the axes several
times, and that's part of the story, too.

I see your point about the interesting value of the stairstep rather
than connecting the dots.

And, to come back to your question about when the numbers of deaths
are high or low, I had posted this back when the President was
promoting The Surge:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/deathsbymonth.png

There had been clear seasonality in the coalition death tolls, so one
would think there is also seasonality in overall violence (not just
deaths of coalition soldiers). If so, then evaluating the effect of
The Surge (either on coalition deaths or more generally on overall
violence) should also take into account seasonality.

How about small multiples of year over year death rates overlaid on a
single January-December (or April-March) graph, thus showing both the
ebb and flow of the annual death rate, and the year-over-year trends.

Use a single colour in multiple shades, darkest=latest?