GD cable derailleurs!

Old April 9th 21, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:43:54 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:22:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

People who pretend to be engineers are tiring.
Hmmm... I'm not tired. Therefore, I must be an engineer.
You have already told us that you only rarely ride a bicycle anymore
That's mostly correct. What I actually said before you twisted the
meaning is that I am no longer able to properly ride a bicycle. If
you want, I can explain the medical problem that created this
situation. I still have two bicycles, which I occasionally ride short
distances.
so perhaps you might want to explain what you're even doing on this group?
Perhaps? That suggests that I can perhaps choose not to explain. So,
I won't explain because you don't need to know and I don't feel like
justifying my presence.

However, I can offer you a fair trade. I'll answer your question if
you explain why you reply to every single thread, statement, question,
and comment in R.B.T. I believe that I understand the motivations for
your other odd habits, but the need to add your uninformed and
unsubstantiated opinion to every discussion has me mystified. Why?

You probably don't trust me to provide a genuine answer to your
question, so I'll go first if you agree to answer my question in a
similar manner. Deal?

You have also chosen not to explain what in the hell you know about digital engineering, embedded systems and programming so that you could explain what I didn't know. Instead like an English teacher you've chosen to pick my resume apart for its spelling errors and not the thousands of human lives I've saved.

You are the one that decided to insert yourself into this discussion after that moron Frank chose to tell everyone I was lying about hitting a tree branch because he could find street pictures of that area only 5 years old. So don't pretend that you have ever had any effect on the world around you because I've spent my life doing just that whether it was volunteering for the Air Force or being part of the construction of the world's largest time sharing computer of the time. The job I had before the concussion was designing and programming devices for the detection and treatment of Cancer. Did your radios help that? Half of this scientific world has been changed by the things I have done. And I have a right to be proud of that.

Of course we could always go with Jay's idea that if I designed anything of value I would have a patent on it. Elon Musk doesn't have any patents but I should. Charley Button owns no patents of his intercoms and radios but I should. I have never even heard of a development engineer owning a patent but dollars to dimes Jay could find one.

If you want to be a part of a discussion talk about things you know and not for the reason that you want to complain about how badly I treat you after you started it.

An accurate quote would be appreciated. What I said is that IF you had any significant inventions, your name would be in the USPTO as a an inventor if not as a patent assignee/owner. Elon Musk at the USPTO: https://tinyurl.com/ze3jzzcw At least he is mentioned -- and his company owns many patents: https://tinyurl.com/5fjj8kh5

Elon is mentioned in this patent which we should apply to you: 10,963,467 "Determining whether a user in a social network is an authority on a topic.." You should go read that. Here is the abstract:

"A method involving obtaining a first plurality of topic groups (TGs), each having a membership of accounts, identifying a first plurality of accounts as authorities for an expertise topic, obtaining a second plurality of TGs with a number of accounts as members, wherein the first plurality of TGs comprises the second plurality of TGs, identifying a first frequent account which is a member in at least one of the second plurality of TGs, adding the first frequent account to the authorities of the expertise topic to obtain a second plurality of accounts as the authorities of the expertise topic, determining a third plurality of TGs in which a second number of accounts from the second plurality of accounts are members, determining that another frequent account is a member in one of the third plurality of TGs, and obtaining a ranking of accounts that are an authority on the expertise topic.."

Got it?

By the way, there is nothing about your accomplishments anywhere except in your LinkedIn page. If you invented half of the scientific world, one would expect to see you mentioned somewhere, if not the USPTO. Maybe a professional journal, association news letter, company press release, police blotter -- well, you did make the police blotter.

-- Jay Beattie.

What I got that if you can get a group large enough you can claim that anyone else is not part of the group. Have you got a patent on that?
Old April 9th 21, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Your world must certainly be small if what I did seems to you to be the half of the scientific world. Tell us, what is it like to live on a small planet? Do they have mostly peaceful protests that burn a town down?
Old April 9th 21, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:57:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

'Experts', is it?

Well then. That explanation surely clears up any doubt as to
Wikipedia's wisdom in banning Philip Roth from editing the
article on Philip Roth's works. What would he know?

I note also that Jobst Brandt, who pithily critiqued the
Ducati desdromonic valve article, was similarly banned
despite his corrections being exactly correct.

It's always important to find experts who can parrot a
party line. Everything else is heresy.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

To tell you the truth I have never recovered from the temerity of Frank saying that I didn't hit my head on a tree branch because he could find a Google Earth photo that showed trees only shortly after they had been planted. If we could post pictures here, he would be proven for what he is. I have tried to turn the conversations many times but several people here continue. Who the hell is this Australian idiot that is a sock puppet of Frank?
Old April 9th 21, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Folks, I think we have to seriously consider the possibility that Tom is
well into dementia. It's sad, and I'm not joking.

In his post about 33 lines above he said "Half of this scientific world
has been changed by the things I have done." But at the end of the
quoted material just above he said "Your world must certainly be small
if what I did seems to you to be the half of the scientific world."

So he can't remember what he very recently said. This example is far
from unique.

I don't know how to deal with someone whose mind is slipping and who
spouts nonsense. I've read that with a family member, one tactic is to
say "Yes, and... " then pivot the conversation to something pleasant and
distracting. Pretend to agree, then deflect. But I can't see that
working here.

Is there a psychologist or therapist in the audience? Again, I'm serious.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 21, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5:57:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I can't tell you what it is like to have your memory wiped not clean but enough that you only have flashes and small memories of what you did in the past. I finally tripped over the ground breaking PCR mechanism I designed for Kary Mullis https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perkin-Elme...AOxy7AxSK3w I

This was the first generation. The next one was called Pro/Group and had several additional planes of motion. It could be used for sequencing DNA. Later I worked on one of these things that was 3 feet tall and had something like a 4 foot base and was used in the processing of pharmaceuticals for drug companies. I also did the electronics for Bio-Rad gas and liquid spectrometers. I looked at a couple of them that seemed familiar but I couldn't be sure. Since most of these things were mechanical designs and my job was to control liquid or gas motions and to display results, I wouldn't know the innards much.
Old April 9th 21, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/9/2021 10:05 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

sigh Tom, you told us the exact location of the spot you claimed you
had just hit your head on a thick tree branch. The Street View photos
were current.

The trees were quite mature, not recently planted. There were no
branches anywhere near the height of a cyclist's head. If there were,
they'd have broken the windshield of a Ford F-150 and many other common
vehicles.

And if the branch were not imaginary, how could you miss seeing a thick
branch hanging so low over a roadway while we were in the middle of
discussing whether such branches are common?

Your memory is not what it once was, I'm sorry to say.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 21, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 8:09:23 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Frank, you have to be one of the most ignorant people on the face of this planet. What POSSIBLE reason would I have for saying that I hit my head on a tree branch that had grown all the way out into the bike lane when I was talking about my new Bontrager Q-cell helmet? Those photos were NOT current and three of them you showed had widely different dates on them and NONE of them had the current year. Exactly how sick do you have to be for something like that to go through your mind?

You are not playing with a full deck and I suggest that you see a really good psychologist.
Old April 9th 21, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:18:58 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 7/4/21 2:09 pm, jbeattie wrote:
A few miles into my evening ride on my cable-shift Emonda -- with my
wife pushing me on her ebike, I shifted to go up the next hill and
snap -- immediate downshift into 34/11. Great. In the middle of a
9% grade, that turned at the top to another climb, but a short one.
I tacked a bit, got home and then jumped on the Di2 disc Synapse and
started over. Heavier with fenders, etc., but still a nice bike.
The discs, BTW, don't drag at all. Thank Buddha for that reliable
Di2.

The good thing about the latest Ultegra levers is that there is a
trap door under the lever body, and you can remove one screw, take
out the door and grab the broken cable and end. No more fishing it
out of the lever. This is the second time in 20 years on STI that
I've broken a cable. Before that I broke a friction bar-end cable in
the middle of a tour. I had a spare.

I guess when you've been riding the Di2 setup for the same time &
distance you'll be able to make a more reasonable comparison.

I'm still waiting to break a cable after more than 30 years of using
cable actuated gears and brakes.

--
JS

Mine have broken twice in the past 2 years right at about 6 months. The cable ends fray and lucky me it is flat in Illinois and I just ride home and put on a new cable. I change the last one that snapped in July 2020 so about a month ago instead of waiting for the cable to snap I just put a new one on. It is always the rear derailleur don't use the front much. Well sure enough the old cable looked fine when I pulled it out no fraying but I put a new cable one. Really a minor price to pay for not worry as much about snapping them on a ride. Actually I am pretty lucky I get 3-4000 miles before they snap or need to be change. No not going to Di2 my 6800 shifts smooth and silent.

Deacon Mark
Old April 9th 21, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 10:10:43 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:

Mine have broken twice in the past 2 years right at about 6 months. The cable ends fray and lucky me it is flat in Illinois and I just ride home and put on a new cable. I change the last one that snapped in July 2020 so about a month ago instead of waiting for the cable to snap I just put a new one on. It is always the rear derailleur don't use the front much. Well sure enough the old cable looked fine when I pulled it out no fraying but I put a new cable one. Really a minor price to pay for not worry as much about snapping them on a ride. Actually I am pretty lucky I get 3-4000 miles before they snap or need to be change. No not going to Di2 my 6800 shifts smooth and silent.

Deacon Mark

I have no understanding of how you can do this. I did break an old steel cable that the Chinese were selling, or rather that a local was stocking and selling out of his garage. But I have never broken a single stainless cable and I have used some pretty cheap ones. I prefer the top end Campy cables and have never even come close to breaking one AFTER it was installed. As I was recovering my memories and some manual dexterity I did break some cables while installing them. But that was long ago and far away.
Old April 9th 21, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 12:48:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Well it is at the end in the shifter so it frays from the anchor point in the cable. Not like the cable just snaps into 2 separate pieces. If fact the cable really does not break it just pulls apart in the shifter and then you have to fish the parts out and make sure leave nothing behind. Shimano on the new stuff now has a part on the shifter to remove at space to get the cable head out. I have heard on earlier stuff sometimes they got stuck in and then you had to replace the shifter. There is even some place they have a way t drill through the shifter to get the cable head to spare the shifter.

But frankly if you want to know the truth on why it happens to me is because of all the power I produce in the hands on the shifter. I mean I can drop some serious power numbers up there when I take the swipe 🤣
Deacon Mark