Highgate Bridge

Old July 14th 04, 04:04 PM
Colin Blackburn

Default Highgate Bridge

From the beeb:

"""
City's newest bridge is named

A £500,000 bridge has been named in a ceremony.

Highgate Bridge is a footbridge and cycleway which crosses the A690 near
Castle Chare in Durham City and will link the railway station with the
city centre.

The name was chosen after a public competition, which attracted more than
100 entries.

The 100ft steel bridge will be part of a cycle route to the north of the
city which will be completed later this year.
"""

From me:

During its construction it was known as the Castle Chare Cycle Bridge. The
name plaques, which I noticed on Monday, don't mention cycles. I note that
it "will be" part of a cycle route. It certainly doesn't link the railway
station with the city centre for cyclists as it involves rather a lot of
steps.

Access, by bike, to the bridge is limited. On the railway station side the
only route cycles can take is through a new housing development, over some
cobbles which have already become a de facto parking area for the
residents. On the other side of the bridge it emerges onto a part cobbled
back road. One direction feeds straight back onto the A690, the road the
bridge bridges. In the other direction a tarmac slope has been added
alongside the steps. This is a very steep slope with a wooden barrier at
the bottom. I can see it being useful for walking a bike down but not for
cycling up or down.

Finally the newly designed roundabout (well it was a roundabout, it's now
a roundabout with a road going through the middle of it and lots of
lights) near the bridge now has two light controlled crossings marked for
cycles as well as pedestrians. None of the pavements are dual use, yet.
The thirdr crossing is pedestrians only.

The layout raises lots of questions which I suspect should be addressed to
someone in the council. However, my last letter to the council, regarding
cycle parking that had been removed during re-paving, was replied to
politely but the promised action was never taken. There is still no
replacement cycle parking.

Colin
Old July 14th 04, 04:16 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:04:34 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

back road. One direction feeds straight back onto the A690, the road the
bridge bridges. In the other direction a tarmac slope has been added
alongside the steps. This is a very steep slope with a wooden barrier at
the bottom. I can see it being useful for walking a bike down but not for
cycling up or down.

Why do these eejits never consider elderly or disabled cyclists?
I know at least one person who can cycle, but doesn't get on
with carrying a bike.
And there's someone on this list with a handcycle.

Would planners expect mums and dads with prams to push them up a steep
slope?
Old July 14th 04, 04:24 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:16:54 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:04:34 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

back road. One direction feeds straight back onto the A690, the road the
bridge bridges. In the other direction a tarmac slope has been added
alongside the steps. This is a very steep slope with a wooden barrier at
the bottom. I can see it being useful for walking a bike down but not
for
cycling up or down.

Why do these eejits never consider elderly or disabled cyclists?
I know at least one person who can cycle, but doesn't get on
with carrying a bike.

I am of course assuming the slope is related to cycling but I have no
foundation for that other than wondering what else it could be for in that
location. However, I have requested further information from the council
re their cycle route around this bridge and roundabout. I hope to be
enlightened.

And there's someone on this list with a handcycle.

Would planners expect mums and dads with prams to push them up a steep
slope?

Who knows. As I say this short slope ends at a barrier. One must then get
off the bottom of the slope by moving sideways onto the large bottom step
and descending that step. I will, until I have further information, remain
puzzled by the ramp.

Colin
Old July 14th 04, 04:32 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:24:52 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

Who knows. As I say this short slope ends at a barrier. One must then get
off the bottom of the slope by moving sideways onto the large bottom step
and descending that step. I will, until I have further information, remain
puzzled by the ramp.

Any new construction should have wheelchair access.
OK, a bit of an old example but the Wobbly Bridge in London does.
Given step-free wheelchair access, that provides bike and pushchair access
too.
Seems to me like a fast one has been pulled - maybe worth contacting
the local newspaper?
Old July 14th 04, 04:35 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

"Colin Blackburn" writes:

I am of course assuming the slope is related to cycling but I have no
foundation for that other than wondering what else it could be for in
that location. However, I have requested further information from the
council re their cycle route around this bridge and roundabout. I
hope to be enlightened.

They are required to have facilities for the disabled, so that could
be a slope for wheelchair users. Although I'm sure I'm much happier on
steep slopes than most wheelchair users would be.

Old July 14th 04, 04:36 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:24:52 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

Who knows. As I say this short slope ends at a barrier. One must then get
off the bottom of the slope by moving sideways onto the large bottom step
and descending that step. I will, until I have further information, remain
puzzled by the ramp.

A quick Google finds a press release on the Durham council website.
"At the Castle Chare end of the bridge, there will be steps for
pedestrians and a ramp for cyclists."

Old July 14th 04, 04:41 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:32:25 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

Any new construction should have wheelchair access.
OK, a bit of an old example but the Wobbly Bridge in London does.
Given step-free wheelchair access, that provides bike and pushchair
access
too.
Seems to me like a fast one has been pulled - maybe worth contacting
the local newspaper?

Sorry, I am not making things very clear. This slope/step thing is not
directly connected with the bridge. Similarly the roundabout changes
(Toucan-style crossings) are not connected directly with the bridge.
However, they are all in the same location and the three together are
probably part of a larger strategy. A wheel-chair use could get to and
cross the bridge, as could a cyclist, it's just that the only effectrive
route doesn't seem to go from anywhere to anywhere.

I may draw a map for any further explanation!

Colin

Old July 14th 04, 04:42 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:36:54 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:24:52 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

Who knows. As I say this short slope ends at a barrier. One must then
get
off the bottom of the slope by moving sideways onto the large bottom
step
and descending that step. I will, until I have further information,
remain
puzzled by the ramp.

A quick Google finds a press release on the Durham council website.
"At the Castle Chare end of the bridge, there will be steps for
pedestrians and a ramp for cyclists."

Crikey, you've googled better than me! This is not, however, the
steps/ramp that is *near* the bridge but the steps/ramp that is part of
the bridge.

As I said, I'll do a map when I get a chance.

Colin
Old July 14th 04, 04:43 PM
John Hearns

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:35:38 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

"Colin Blackburn" writes:

They are required to have facilities for the disabled, so that could
be a slope for wheelchair users. Although I'm sure I'm much happier on
steep slopes than most wheelchair users would be.

As you say, the slope is steep and Colin says it ends in a barrier.
It really, really does sound to me that this is contrary to the DDA.

By the way, thinking about it the DDA will have positive outcomes for
cyclists. The stupid metal barriers on cycleways will have to be removed.
Think of the metal barriers which are supposed to conform to a 'cycle'
shape and completely block bikes with panniers, trikes, recumbents....

Old July 15th 04, 10:26 AM
Dave Larrington

John Hearns wrote:

By the way, thinking about it the DDA will have positive outcomes for
cyclists. The stupid metal barriers on cycleways will have to be
removed. Think of the metal barriers which are supposed to conform to
a 'cycle' shape and completely block bikes with panniers, trikes,
recumbents....

Quite. I regularly use the Regent's Canal / Hertford Union Canal / Lea
Navigation towpaths. My MTB with panniers will /just/ go through most of
them (though one on the Lea is so narrow that its a struggle with the
handlebars, which are a good deal narrower than some), but on the one
occasion I was obliged to use the towpath with the Speedmachine (road
closed, five mile detour via The Death Of The Soul[1] and the North
Circular), there was no way it would fit through. And I did my sorely
abused back a power of no good lifting it over the barrier at the eastern
end of the footbridge at Springfield Marina. Bah!

1 - Edmonton

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/