Looking to borrow a quality Mountain bike for the week-end Oxfordshire or Winchester area (Fri, Sat and Sunday)

Old May 17th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

Default Looking to borrow a quality Mountain bike for the week-end Oxfordshire or Winchester area (Fri, Sat and Sunday)

A bit of an unconventional request...

I am due to take part in a charity 100 miles off-road bike ride for
the British Heart Foundation this Saturday (the BHF South Downs Way
Challenge).

I brought my Marin mount vision mountain bike to my excellent local
bike shop
to service the rear suspension last week and was anticipating to
collect the
bike this afternoon. However, the part being serviced will not be
ready in time for the event and effectively find myself without a
serviceable mountain bike to ride 100 miles. Not ideal...

Are there any good souls who could lend me a quality mountain bike for
the week-end? a medium or small frames generally speaking suit me fine.

Thanks in advance!

Nic
(http://nicsaharatraining.blogspot.com)

Old May 18th 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

It looks like the rear shock may be back just in time before my train
departs from Oxford to Winchester. I may not need to borrow a bike
afterall... Phew!

Top service from Tim Flooks.

Old May 18th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

Nic wrote:

It looks like the rear shock may be back just in time before my train
departs from Oxford to Winchester. I may not need to borrow a bike
afterall... Phew!

That's not a May weekend is it?
There are no trains between Reading and Winchester at weekends until
next month :-((

John B

Old May 18th 06, 11:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

That's not a May weekend is it?
There are no trains between Reading and Winchester at weekends until
next month :-((

wot??? If the bike situation pans out OK, I will be heading off on
Friday afternoon. I should be OK, right??? :-S

Old May 18th 06, 11:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

Nic wrote:

That's not a May weekend is it?
There are no trains between Reading and Winchester at weekends until
next month :-((

wot??? If the bike situation pans out OK, I will be heading off on
Friday afternoon. I should be OK, right??? :-S

The Friday should be OK, but would you be returning on the Sunday as
your 'header' indicates?

The trains in the area are a complete mess at weekends. Although many of
the replacement coach operators will take bikes if you hit a jobsworth
they won't.

The buses between Basingstoke and Winchester last week were small
service buses with virtually no luggage capacity - even my Brompton was
a tight fit and a full-size bike would be a definite no-go.

HTH

John B

Old May 18th 06, 11:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling

The Friday should be OK, but would you be returning on the Sunday as
your 'header' indicates?

The trains in the area are a complete mess at weekends. Although many of
the replacement coach operators will take bikes if you hit a jobsworth
they won't.

The buses between Basingstoke and Winchester last week were small
service buses with virtually no luggage capacity - even my Brompton was
a tight fit and a full-size bike would be a definite no-go.

HTH

John B

Hi John,

Hopefully by Sunday, I will no longer be in Winchester :-)
I am planning to be in Eastbourne by Saturday evening and heading to
London Victoria on Sunday after a good night sleep in a B&B.