Reporting drivers

Old March 21st 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Reporting drivers

A few of the Youtube cycle cammers have boasted recently how they have reported drivers and got them convicted. Mainly for using phones.

I don't know how you feel but I find this behaviour distasteful, especially now we live in a police state.
Old March 21st 19, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 09:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

A few of the Youtube cycle cammers have boasted recently how they
have reported drivers and got them convicted. Mainly for using phones.

I don't know how you feel but I find this behaviour distasteful,
especially now we live in a police state.

It seems reasonable to me - these drivers are not only breaking the
law but doing it in a way that causes a real danger to other road
users, particularly cyclists. It would be good to see a few highly
publicised prosecutions for dooring too.

Old March 21st 19, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

A few of the Youtube cycle cammers have boasted recently how they
have reported drivers and got them convicted. Mainly for using phones.

I don't know how you feel but I find this behaviour distasteful,
especially now we live in a police state.

It seems reasonable to me - these drivers are not only breaking the
law but doing it in a way that causes a real danger to other road
users, particularly cyclists. It would be good to see a few highly
publicised prosecutions for dooring too.

I agree drivers should face consequences for their action. I just don't like the idea of reporting people to the police, especially now the police are no longer there to protect us but only to make sure we do what we are told.
OTOH motorists have been getting away with this behaviour for decades and it is only now we have cameras they are being held accountable.

I would not report a driver for using a phone whilst driving, that is too much like telling tales.
Old March 21st 19, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Evans

On 21/03/2019 18:37, Simon Jester wrote:

I agree drivers should face consequences for their action. I just don't like the idea of reporting people to the police, especially now the police are no longer there to protect us but only to make sure we do what we are told.
OTOH motorists have been getting away with this behaviour for decades and it is only now we have cameras they are being held accountable.

I would not report a driver for using a phone whilst driving, that is too much like telling tales.

I would not report a driver for using a phone, because it is too much
like hard work, but I would like other people to do it for me. Better
still an AI that caught drivers doing it.

The best way of getting people to comply with laws is not harsh
punishments but a high level of enforcement. Trivial punishments can
work. For instance I only wear a seat belt because my car goes beep beep
beep continuously if I don't.
Old March 21st 19, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:37:47 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

I would not report a driver for using a phone whilst driving, that is
too much like telling tales.

Your "telling tales" is my civic responsibility.

Old March 21st 19, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

I would not report a driver for using a phone whilst driving, that is
too much like telling tales.

Your "telling tales" is my civic responsibility.

Where do you draw the line?
Old March 22nd 19, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 15:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:27:24 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

Your "telling tales" is my civic responsibility.

Where do you draw the line?

Many issues arising from people's antisocial behaviour can be settled
by talking to them (or sometimes shouting). Those that persist will be
reported to the relevant authority, be that police, council or whatever.
The line ... things that annoy me and are illegal, that are severe or
frequent enough that I can be bothered to do something about it. Some
days I will have a go at someone for littering, and on others I just
can't be bothered.

Old March 22nd 19, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 21/03/2019 16:54, Simon Jester wrote:

A few of the Youtube cycle cammers have boasted recently how they
have reported drivers and got them convicted. Mainly for using
phones.

I don't know how you feel but I find this behaviour distasteful,
especially now we live in a police state.

Interfering with what people think (particularly - but not limited to -
opinions about foreigners) is rather different to doing something that
causes actual danger.

These days there is no excuse for a driver to hold the phone to make a
voice call. Texting is an even bigger issue because it requires the eyes
to be diverted for long periods.
Old March 22nd 19, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Jester wrote:

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 8:27:24 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

Your "telling tales" is my civic responsibility.

Where do you draw the line?

Many issues arising from people's antisocial behaviour can be settled
by talking to them (or sometimes shouting). Those that persist will be
reported to the relevant authority, be that police, council or whatever.
The line ... things that annoy me and are illegal, that are severe or
frequent enough that I can be bothered to do something about it. Some
days I will have a go at someone for littering, and on others I just
can't be bothered.

Here's the latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymnL1H1PtyQ

Absolutely appalling driving and a just penalty, but I still would not have gone to the police.

Reporting drivers to the cops. spindrift UK 31 August 4th 08 03:32 PM
Reporting in Mikefule Unicycling 7 December 28th 06 03:09 AM
Reporting Dangerous Drivers Paul Stanley Australia 4 January 27th 05 02:08 AM
Reporting in Mikefule Unicycling 20 December 20th 04 10:51 PM
Reporting dangerous drivers Frank Australia 12 August 16th 04 11:25 AM