Push bike

Old May 14th 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
CDB

Default Push bike

Sara Lorimer wrote:
Django Cat wrote:

I feel I've missed out, big time.

You can catch up:

http://www.kiddierecords.com/archive/week_04.htm

Amazing how much Uncle Remus sounds like Chef (RIP) from South Park.
I wonder if Isaac Hayes (RIP) did that on purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_(South_Park)

I've left a space after the closing parenthesis, to see if that has
any effect on the deletion problem.

Old May 14th 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
CDB

CDB wrote:

[channelling Walt]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_(South_Park)

I've left a space after the closing parenthesis, to see if that has
any effect on the deletion problem.

Nope. It's not much trouble to copy and paste the title of the
non-existent article into the search box and close the parenthesis,
though.

Old May 14th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Wolff

CDB wrote
CDB wrote:

[channelling Walt]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_(South_Park)

I've left a space after the closing parenthesis, to see if that has
any effect on the deletion problem.

Nope. It's not much trouble to copy and paste the title of the
non-existent article into the search box and close the parenthesis,
though.

It didn't help me either (another Turnpike user).

RFC 2396 (URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt) says, in part:

URI are often transmitted through formats that do not provide a clear
context for their interpretation. For example, there are many
occasions when URI are included in plain text; examples include text
sent in electronic mail, USENET news messages, and, most importantly,
printed on paper. In such cases, it is important to be able to
delimit the URI from the rest of the text, and in particular from
punctuation marks that might be mistaken for part of the URI.

In practice, URI are delimited in a variety of ways, but usually
within double-quotes "http://test.com/", angle brackets
http://test.com/, or just using whitespace

http://test.com/

These wrappers do not form part of the URI.

URI = Uniform Resource Identifier(s).

I see no objection in that RFC to the use of the ) character in a URL,
but I can see from a web search that other software has similar
difficulty in deciding if it is external or internal punctuation when )
occurs at the end of the string.
--
Paul
Old May 14th 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Jerry Friedman

On May 12, 11:50*pm, Lars Eighner wrote:
In our last episode,
, the
lovely and talented Jerry Friedman broadcast on alt.usage.english:

On May 11, 7:34*pm, wrote:
On May 11, 7:50*pm, Jerry Friedman wrote:

Here are some stories.

http://www.angelfire.com/co4/raggbagg/BrerTales.htm

Here are "The Wonderful Tar-Baby" and "How Mr. Rabbit Was Too Sharp
For Mr. Fox", the two most famous stories (and the only ones I know
anything about).

http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043myth...s/pages/01.htm

(Hitting the arrow takes you to the same thing in Harris's original,
and hitting it again continues the "modernized" story.)

These are from a 1999 version. *The one I read as a little boy,
probably in the '60s, had more AAVE, I vaguely remember.

As I recall, one reason for "modernizing" these stories was that the
originals got some condescending laughs out of AAVE, and perpetuated
stereotypes of black people who said ""How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter
segashuate?" *Now that singers and rappers are selling millions of
disks in AAVE to slightly older children, I think we can admit that
some African Americans speak AAVE at least some of the time. *There
may still be no need for "segashuate", though.

--
Jerry Friedman

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
and search for 'uncleremus' in the title field

Thanks, but all I found there was the originals. *DC was looking for
versions with less dialect.

I'm coming in late, so someone may have mentioned this. *The tar baby story
can be found in many collections of West African folk tales.

I may have to look for that, so thanks for the interesting
information.

I cannot now
locate the title of the Oxford anthology in which I read it in the '70s, but
google pops up a number of very promising new compilations. *The problem
with the original is that it is probably too sexual for American school
boards and Spider, the original trickster character from whom Brer Rabbit is
derived, is rather more naughty and morally ambiguous than might be desired.
(Translation for geeks: he's neutral chaotic.)

I'd say Brer Rabbit is pretty chaotic neutral too.

--
Jerry Friedman
Old May 14th 09, 10:59 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
, the
lovely and talented Jerry Friedman broadcast on alt.usage.english:

On May 12, 11:50*pm, Lars Eighner wrote:

I cannot now locate the title of the Oxford anthology in which I read it
in the '70s, but google pops up a number of very promising new
compilations. *The problem with the original is that it is probably too
sexual for American school boards and Spider, the original trickster
character from whom Brer Rabbit is derived, is rather more naughty and
morally ambiguous than might be desired. (Translation for geeks: he's
neutral chaotic.)

I'd say Brer Rabbit is pretty chaotic neutral too.

I should know better than to attempt stuff like that without consulting the
resident authority, but he is very busy with Final Fantasy IX right now.

--
Lars Eighner http://larseighner.com/
114 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.
Old May 15th 09, 01:14 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc

On May 9, 10:00*pm, wrote:
Nick Spalding wrote:
A push bike typically refers to bicycle (human powered). *I was
talking to a sport shop owner the other day and said that I was in
the shop to look at the push bikes not the motorbikes.
It's not an expression that I see or hear used frequently and I was
wondering if anyone has an idea of the origins of the phrase?
John Kane Kingson ON Canada
Push bike is a terribly British affectation.

Nothing affected about it, it is just what it is called (or named).

In that case, what does the Englisman visualize when the term
"bicycle" is used?

breasts bouncing contrapunctually.

In the USA, "bicycle" has always meant a pedal driven two wheeled
vehicle, just as in German, it has always been a "Fahrrad", whereas
in Italy it is a "bicicletta" unambiguously. *In Switzerland the
term "Velo" is widely used although, depending on which of their
four languages is local, it could be German, Italian, French, or
Romansch usage.

*http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/push-bike*
--
Jobst Brandt

G DAEB
COPYRIGHT (C) 2009 SIPSTON
Old May 15th 09, 04:34 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Nick writes:
Jerry Friedman writes:

On May 11, 1:46Â*pm, "Django Cat" wrote:
Nick wrote:
the Omrud writes:

Django Cat wrote:
Jerry Friedman wrote:

Speaking of
stickiness, though, may I venture to remind you of the Tar Baby?

Ah. Â*Could be before my time...

BrE folk (apparently including DC) are not in general familiar with
Brer Rabbit and his friends, unless perhaps they are fans of "Sons
of the South". Â*Dad had a book of Brer Rabbit stories which I
suspect he may have got from Warwickshire-based American soldiers
during the war (he also laid his hands on a number of now rare
78s), so I grew up knowing all about the Tar Baby, although it
didn't make an awful lot of sense to me in the English Midlands in
the late 50s.

Whatever you do, don't make me read Uncle Remus. Â*Please don't make me
read Uncle Remus.

And please make me watch the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" scene, over and over.

Here you are, then, Nick:

http://tinyurl.com/osdcwj

I can't understand a word of it.

[and]

PS. And I think if I'd been asked to read this stuff in infants school
I'd have wept long and bitter tears.

I have the feeling I read it in a partially devernacularized version.

I read it when young; 10ish perhaps. I do remember finding the
vernacular heavy going, but you do get attuned to that sort of thing.
No worse than I remember Feersum Endjinn being. To quote Wikipedia
quoting it:

Woak up. Got dresd. Had brekfast. Spoke wif Ergates thi ant who sed
itz juss been wurk wurk wurk 4 u lately master Bascule, Y dont u ½ a
holiday? & I agreed & that woz how we decided we otter go 2 c Mr
Zoliparia in thi I-ball ov thi gargoyle Rosbrith.

Lissinen' to me granda' (ay roostic 'oo 'oiled frym

Toice'rst, Sx in the 1890's,) wuz ay touf slowg,

too.

It took me months to figure out the "'OyWee-ens" of which he
spoke in his gutteral drawl were "Hawaiians."

The moral content of the Uncle Remus fables is actually quite
on-the-spot. To this day, Joel Chandler Harris arouses
racial controversy, and yet his Uncle Remus works were about
the endearing (and highly predictable) foibles of ~humanity~,
not race. That's why his characters were creatures rather
than human beans. It kept it generic.

Harris was/is delightfully insidious and yet gently & kindly
obliging to people's sensitivities with his satire.

Now, /that's/ art.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 15th 09, 08:44 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Django Cat

Sara Lorimer wrote:

Django Cat wrote:

I feel I've missed out, big time.

You can catch up:

http://www.kiddierecords.com/archive/week_04.htm

Oh, that's a treasure for my new-found Remus researches, Sara! [stops
doing boring work things and listens with rapture]

DC

Old May 19th 09, 02:57 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
terryc

On Sun, 10 May 2009 07:34:04 +0800, Robert Bannister wrote:

Except when it has a small motor attached. My newspaper tells me that
electric bicycles are all the rage now.

You want to be careful they are not talking about electric scotters with
dodgy pedals attatched.