Are helmets saving lives?

Old February 16th 12, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Are helmets saving lives?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/blog...-cyclists-life

Article answer: probably not, and a pox on Rebecca Oaten for
stubbornly clinging to her support of the NZ helmet law she advocated
into enactment, despite evidence its main effect was to convince NZers
to stop riding bicycles.

Counterpoint: the law is working as intended.
Old February 17th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred on a stick

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/blog...-cyclists-life

Article answer: probably not, and a pox on Rebecca Oaten for
stubbornly clinging to her support of the NZ helmet law she advocated
into enactment, despite evidence its main effect was to convince NZers
to stop riding bicycles.

Counterpoint: the law is working as intended.

What a coincidence. We were just discussing this on the rbr Topica list.

Old February 17th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
JQ

On 2/16/2012 7:24 PM, Fred on a stick wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/blog...-cyclists-life

Article answer: probably not, and a pox on Rebecca Oaten for
stubbornly clinging to her support of the NZ helmet law she advocated
into enactment, despite evidence its main effect was to convince NZers
to stop riding bicycles.

Counterpoint: the law is working as intended.

What a coincidence. We were just discussing this on the rbr Topica list.

I think helmets saves lives, 3 of my riders crashed this year and landed
on their heads cracking helmet pretty good. Two ended up with broken
bones and one had neck bone fractures, another had temporary amnesia
from the blow to this head and another dislocated his jaw.
I could only imagine what would have happened it hey weren't wearing a
helmet.

--
Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment...
Coach JQ

Old February 17th 12, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/blog...e/6409714/Will....

[...]

Hey Dumbasses!
The helmet wars have raged in all the other rec.bicycles groups and
wasted endless amounts of bandwidth.
I know we no longer have Tuesdays to discuss but could we please just
skip the helmet thing?
Who knows, maybe there's even something about bike racing to be
discussed.

DR
Old February 17th 12, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

JQ a écrit profondement:

| I think helmets saves lives, 3 of my riders crashed this year and
| landed on their heads cracking helmet pretty good. Two ended up with
| broken bones and one had neck bone fractures, another had temporary
| amnesia from the blow to this head and another dislocated his jaw.
| I could only imagine what would have happened it hey weren't wearing a
| helmet.

Didn't I just tell you to leave the training wheels on for another week?

--
Blackwater changed it's name to Xe-Services
Monsanto bought Xe out Lock, Stock and Barrel
Old February 17th 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 2/16/2012 7:58 PM, JQ wrote:
I think helmets saves lives, 3 of my riders crashed this year and landed
on their heads cracking helmet pretty good. Two ended up with broken
bones and one had neck bone fractures, another had temporary amnesia
from the blow to this head and another dislocated his jaw.
I could only imagine what would have happened it hey weren't wearing a
helmet.

While we are on anecdotal evidence, based on my experience with my
kid and her friends they are 100% correct in their conclusion that
helmet laws depress miles ridden. Which will kill people also, but
it'll take years for climbing obesity rates to do it.

Helmet laws are very effective in convincing kids and their parents
that riding a bicycle is unacceptable dangerous and that driving is
preferable.

Old February 17th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dave a

On 2/17/2012 4:40 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:

--
Blackwater changed it's name to Xe-Services
Monsanto bought Xe out Lock, Stock and Barrel
Gates increased his holdings in Monsanto from "Minor" to "Significant"
What does Gates need with a Private Army?

Is your fact checker broken?

Old February 17th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

dave a a Ă©crit profondement:

| On 2/17/2012 4:40 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:

| --
| Blackwater changed it's name to Xe-Services
| Monsanto bought Xe out Lock, Stock and Barrel
| Gates increased his holdings in Monsanto from "Minor" to "Significant"
| What does Gates need with a Private Army?

| Is your fact checker broken?

No, check it out for yourself

Davey doesn't lie like the BBC, Fox News, Guardian, Times, New York
Times, Washington Post, Il Messaggero, Corriere della Sera, Le Parisien
or La Tribune.

Davey gives you the straight goods.

Monsanto Now Owns Blackwater (Xe)

A report by Jeremy Scahill in The Nation (Blackwater’s Black Ops,
9/15/2010) revealed that the largest mercenary army in the world,
Blackwater (now called Xe Services) clandestine intelligence services
was sold to the multinational Monsanto. Blackwater was renamed in 2009
after becoming famous in the world with numerous reports of abuses in
Iraq, including massacres of civilians. It remains the largest private
contractor of the U.S. Department of State “security services,” that
practices state terrorism by giving the government the opportunity to
deny it.

Many military and former CIA officers work for Blackwater or related
companies created to divert attention from their bad reputation and make
more profit selling their nefarious services-ranging from information
and intelligence to infiltration, political lobbying and paramilitary
training – for other governments, banks and multinational
corporations. According to Scahill, business with multinationals, like
Monsanto, Chevron, and financial giants such as Barclays and Deutsche
Bank, are channeled through two companies owned by Erik Prince, owner of
Blackwater: Total Intelligence Solutions and Terrorism Research
Center. These officers and directors share Blackwater.

One of them, Cofer Black, known for his brutality as one of the
directors of the CIA, was the one who made contact with Monsanto in 2008
as director of Total Intelligence, entering into the contract with the
company to spy on and infiltrate organizations of animal rights
activists, anti-GM and other dirty activities of the biotech giant.

Contacted by Scahill, the Monsanto executive Kevin Wilson declined to
comment, but later confirmed to The Nation that they had hired Total
Intelligence in 2008 and 2009, according to Monsanto only to

keep track of “public disclosure” of its opponents. He also said that
Total Intelligence was a “totally separate entity from Blackwater.”

However, Scahill has copies of emails from Cofer Black after the meeting
with Wilson for Monsanto, where he explains to other former CIA agents,
using their Blackwater e-mails, that the discussion with Wilson was that
Total Intelligence had become “Monsanto’s intelligence arm,” spying on
activists and other actions, including “our people to legally integrate
these groups.” Total Intelligence Monsanto paid $ 127,000 in 2008 and $
105,000 in 2009.

No wonder that a company engaged in the “science of death” as Monsanto,
which has been dedicated from the outset to produce toxic poisons
spilling from Agent Orange to PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls),
pesticides, hormones and genetically modified seeds, is associated with
another company of thugs.

Almost simultaneously with the publication of this article in The
Nation, the Via Campesina reported the purchase of 500,000 shares of
Monsanto, for more than $23 million by the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation, which with this action completed the outing of the mask of
“philanthropy.” Another association that is not surprising.

It is a marriage between the two most brutal monopolies in the history
of industrialism: Bill Gates controls more than 90 percent of the market
share of proprietary computing and Monsanto about 90 percent of the
global transgenic seed market and most global commercial seed. There
does not exist in any other industrial sector monopolies so vast, whose
very existence is a negation of the vaunted principle of “market
competition” of capitalism. Both Gates and Monsanto are very aggressive
in defending their ill-gotten monopolies.

Although Bill Gates might try to say that the Foundation is not linked
to his business, all it proves is the opposite: most of their donations
end up favoring the commercial investments of the tycoon, not really
“donating” anything, but instead of paying taxes to the state coffers,
he invests his profits in where it is favorable to him economically,
including propaganda from their supposed good intentions. On the
contrary, their “donations” finance projects as destructive as
geoengineering or replacement of natural community medicines for
high-tech patented medicines in the poorest areas of the world. What a
coincidence, former Secretary of Health Julio Frenk and Ernesto Zedillo
are advisers of the Foundation.

Like Monsanto, Gates is also engaged in trying to destroy rural farming
worldwide, mainly through the “Alliance for a Green Revolution in
Africa” (AGRA). It works as a Trojan horse to deprive poor African
farmers of their traditional seeds, replacing them with the seeds of
their companies first, finally by genetically modified (GM). To this
end, the Foundation hired Robert Horsch in 2006, the director of
Monsanto. Now Gates, airing major profits, went straight to the source.

Blackwater, Monsanto and Gates are three sides of the same figu the
war machine on the planet and most people who inhabit it, are peasants,
indigenous communities, people who want to share information and
knowledge or any other who does not want to be in the aegis of profit
and the destructiveness of capitalism.

--
Davey Crockett
**** Micro$oft
Old February 17th 12, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Feb 16, 7:58*pm, JQ wrote:
[...]

Coaches should teach "their" riders not to land on their heads.
Seriously. My 4th grade gym teacher taught us how to tuck and roll.

The helmets was never intended to protect against "broken bones" and
it didn't protect against "broken bones" so don't drag that into the
equation. That's fear-mongering rhetoric.

I've seen an accident where the rider was KO'd, the helmet was
"cracked" (styrofoam and outer shell broken), but no compression of
the styrofoam could be detected, comparing closely to an identical, un-
crashed helmet.
Helmets are supposed to "work" to lessen impact force to the head by
compressing and "absorbing impact". This one, a big-name, upper-end
racing helmet, did not function as advertised.
The neck bone fracture is another red herring. Did the weight of the
helmet, or its shape, or its coefficient of friction with the road
surface actually contribute to his "neck bone fracture"? (Answer is,
"no way to tell", but it is possible).
Dislocated jaw is a red herring.

You can imagine all kinds of things that are divorced from reality.
Such is "faith". Like "I believe that helmets save lives". They're not
doing so great in New Zealand, if you noticed.

Suggest you do some reading on "rotational injuries" as applied to
brain injury. Also suggest reading on "risk compensation".

I humbly suggest that a good coach would teach their riders not to
count on the helmet for anything good.

You wear the helmet in competition because the insurance industry
which owns and controls the population, requires it.

"Dancing on the edge" of what? Nasty accidents?

I really hate this "Red Badge of Courage" bull**** when applied to
bike racing. It certainly was not the way I was taught, where the
emphasis was directly on not causing or being caught up in crashes.
Most bike racing crashes at the amateur level are stupid and avoidable
and that's why smart riders and smart coaches do what they can to
limit crashes to the maximum extent possible.
--D-y
Old February 17th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
dave a

On 2/17/2012 8:35 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:
dave a a Ă©crit profondement:

| On 2/17/2012 4:40 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:

| --
| Blackwater changed it's name to Xe-Services
| Monsanto bought Xe out Lock, Stock and Barrel
| Gates increased his holdings in Monsanto from "Minor" to "Significant"
| What does Gates need with a Private Army?

| Is your fact checker broken?

No, check it out for yourself

Davey doesn't lie like the BBC, Fox News, Guardian, Times, New York
Times, Washington Post, Il Messaggero, Corriere della Sera, Le Parisien
or La Tribune.

Davey gives you the straight goods.

Straight load of bull**** is more like it. Try getting your information
from reliable sources.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...C-Holdings-LLC

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...RDS=blackwater

The biggest and best bicyclist/accident study ever: helmets saved lives Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 50 November 4th 11 06:23 PM
saving himself ? Andre Racing 5 April 6th 06 09:23 PM
Great Saving XvX Marketplace 0 July 15th 05 06:37 PM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 11:25 AM
Law on cycle helmets 'would save lives' Mucco UK 14 May 18th 04 12:52 PM