CycloComputers, anyone?

Old May 20th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Default CycloComputers, anyone?

I've only just recently thought about getting something like this, as
I've joined a website where we get to log our bike miles and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these devices?
Where's a good place to buy them (B&M or online), how much can one
expect to pay, what features to look for, and which models do you
recommend?
Old May 20th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 19, 10:11*pm, Ablang wrote:
I've only just recently thought about getting something like this, as
I've joined a website where we get to log our bike miles and stuff.

I was wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these devices?
Where's a good place to buy them (B&M or online), how much can one
expect to pay, what features to look for, and which models do you
recommend?

Cateye Micro Wireless:

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/281

FLBS, or REI, maybe? Performance is having a sale in Texas, maybe
elsewhe if lowest cost is necessary, you might get a deal on ebay
or craigslist.

You can read about features on the linked-to site above.

Cadence (foot RPM) is also available, costs a chunk more.

Wireless is good because those wires have a way of getting disturbed,
plus some people might believe you went say, 61.2 MPH on your way
around the block, and they will fear you. --D-y
Old May 23rd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

1. You use it for motivation on training rides. So, if having the
meter report out your average speed will incourage you to ride harder
the last 15 minutes of today's hour ride, spend the $5 more for a unit
that has that one up from bottom function.
1b. Personally, the extra $10-$15 for cadence was worth it after
counting pedal rotations against 15 seconds of elapsed time and
multiplying by 4.

I'm currently liking the single button of the Cateye Strada. Press
the face repeatedly to cycle through the 8 readingst, vs remembering
the buttons (of 4) on say, the Sigma Sport.

2. There are units you've never heard of but which are supported by a
strong distributor in another country. So some obscure units may not
be the junk you might assume. The cycling world is now so saturated
with on-bike and new price-competitive units, the majors have had to
resort to promoting $150 wireless "B" units to eek profits.

On May 20, 8:18 am, " wrote:
[...]

CycloComputers, anyone? Ablang Techniques 4 May 24th 08 12:45 AM
Cyclocomputers. Bill Baka General 31 March 20th 06 04:09 AM
Cyclocomputers with 'current grade' measurement - how do they work? none Techniques 11 September 8th 05 06:38 PM
Cyclocomputers - Current models that work well in cold? [email protected] Techniques 1 September 3rd 05 03:26 AM
Cyclocomputers: a dumb comment. RonSonic Techniques 74 October 8th 04 04:08 AM