best ergonomic position when riding hybrid bike on streets

Old May 20th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Richard Catrambone

Default best ergonomic position when riding hybrid bike on streets

I'm betting the question I ask below has been addressed before in this
group, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

Is there an accepted "best" position when riding, specifically when
riding a hybrid/mountain bike on city streets? The reason I ask is that
I feel kind of too hunched over on my bike, plus the base of my palms
gets kind of numb as though I am putting too much weight on my hands
while riding (I wear bike gloves that have decent cushioning). I was
thinking of raising the handlebar stem to make me a bit more upright,
but I thought I would check here for comments before randomly messing
around with the stem height. As an aside, I assume that the more
upright one's torso becomes, the less aerodynamic one is. Correct?

Thanks.
Old May 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 20, 8:14 am, Richard Catrambone wrote:
I'm betting the question I ask below has been addressed before in this
group, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

Is there an accepted "best" position when riding, specifically when
riding a hybrid/mountain bike on city streets?

Nope. Fitness level, flexibility, and body weight can greatly affect
preference for upper body positioning. One thing to consider is that
flat bars are generally too wide for comfortable road use. Most can
benefit from a good 1-3cm lopped off the ends. If you're having
trouble with your hands, do try a different bar, like a trekking bar,
arc bar, Titec H-bar, North Road bar, or even an Albatross. With pop
top stems, it's pretty quick to switch, and it's almost like getting a
new bike!
Old May 20th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 20, 2:14*pm, Richard Catrambone wrote:
I'm betting the question I ask below has been addressed before in this
group, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

Is there an accepted "best" position when riding, specifically when
riding a hybrid/mountain bike on city streets? *The reason I ask is that
I feel kind of too hunched over on my bike, plus the base of my palms
gets kind of numb as though I am putting too much weight on my hands
while riding (I wear bike gloves that have decent cushioning). *I was
thinking of raising the handlebar stem to make me a bit more upright,
but I thought I would check here for comments before randomly messing
around with the stem height. *As an aside, I assume that the more
upright one's torso becomes, the less aerodynamic one is. *Correct?

Thanks.

For a start, move the seat back as far as it will go. Secondly, get a
steer tube extension, preferably one that will take a quill, because a
quill gives you both several inches of heigh adjustment and, if
adjustable, a rotatable arc for the handlebar mounting which
influences both reach and height (again). Thirdly, buy Kalloy's
adjustable quill (or stem) and start adjusting it until you've gone
too far, then take a step back.

You can see how I treated the same problem when I got fed up with back
and hand pain. Here is my Gazelle Toulouse, a Dutch city bike with
fast touring capability
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Bauhaus.html -- scroll
down to find the pic in the body of the text and note relative
position of seat and handlebars. The quill stem is a custom Gazelle
component which can be adjusted for height, reach and handlebar angle
without tools. Here is my amazing Trek Smover
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20Smover.html
-- you're looking at a much more sporting bike, probably much more
like the one you want to "fix". Notice that I first fitted a seat in
the place of the saddle to get my bottom back far enough even to start
work on the handlebar postion. Notice further that I needed a steerer
extension (the black piece above the headset locknut) to get enough
height; you might need one of those too if you can't find an
adjustable quill/stem with enough heighth. The adjustable quill itself
came with the bike and is the standard inexpensive but perfectly
adequate Kalloy I mention above.

It is a lot of work dialling in a bike just right for your body shape.
Pay attention to what I say about starting with the seat as far back
as possible or all your efforts will have to be repeated when you do
move the seat back..

A more upright position will take most of the weight off your hands.
But there is still vibration from the fork. A suspended front fork
helps, and so does a suspended seatpost. I have front suspensions that
can be adjusted from ultra-soft to soft with reasonable precision in
the handling, and one from harsh to solid (super-precision handling in
all modes); even the latter helps with tingling hands. I've had quite
a few seatposts and found the cheapest Post Moderne to be the most
agreeable on my mostly smooth roads (there is a reason that so many
Dutch upmarket bike makers fit Post Moderne's basic suspended seatpost
-- it is better than more expensive ones from PM and other makers).
The Kalloy suspension setpost fitted as standard to my Trek is
supposedly adjusted in all dimensions by a single rotating ring -- it
doesn't work: unless set very hard in the vertical dimension, the side
to side stiffness is compromised; I have come not to mind a certain
amount of side play in my seat but I can quite see that it would
irritate the hell out of someone who defines "ergonomical" as
equivalent to "eficiency".

Of course, if you have a suspended seatpost, you will have to stop
posing as racer at the cyclists' cafe...

In a straight choice between being a cafe racer and being comfortable,
guess what I chose.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Old May 20th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Richard Catrambone wrote:
I'm betting the question I ask below has been addressed before in this
group, but I can't find the answer, so here goes:

Is there an accepted "best" position when riding, specifically when
riding a hybrid/mountain bike on city streets? The reason I ask is that
I feel kind of too hunched over on my bike, plus the base of my palms
gets kind of numb as though I am putting too much weight on my hands
while riding (I wear bike gloves that have decent cushioning). I was
thinking of raising the handlebar stem to make me a bit more upright,
but I thought I would check here for comments before randomly messing
around with the stem height. As an aside, I assume that the more
upright one's torso becomes, the less aerodynamic one is. Correct?

Are blondes 'better' than redheads?

If you're not happy, change it! "Best" is only relevant in terms of
'best for you on this particular ride'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 20th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
catzz66[_2_]

A Muzi wrote:
Richard Catrambone wrote:
[...]

Also, aerodynamicism is not all that important to many of us.
Old May 20th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

catzz66 wrote:
A Muzi wrote:
Richard Catrambone wrote:
[...]

Don't tell me you're one of those aerodynamicynics....
~
Old May 25th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Richard Catrambone

DougC wrote:
catzz66 wrote:
A Muzi wrote:
Richard Catrambone wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll explore some of these options!
Old May 26th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 20, 12:52 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Are blondes 'better' than redheads?

Amazing.

Only in rec.bicycles.tech would you get exactly no responses to one of
the world's most burning questions :-)

Had you asked about Italian vs. English BBs, threaded vs. threadless
headsets, compacts vs. triples, Campy vs. Shimano, etc. you would have
been barraged with hundreds opinions on both sides. But, ask about
something that really matters and...zip, nada, zero, nuthin'...

BTW, the answer is "Yes".