rear wheel spoke tension

Old March 12th 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Default rear wheel spoke tension

I built a rear wheel. The rim manufacturer specifies 1200N maximum spoke
tension. I tigtened up the drive side spokes to that much, and the
tension on the non-drive side is less to account for wheel dish.

Did I do it right? Or is the 1200N force supposed to be average between
the drive and non-drive sides?

Hub: Shimano FH-1055
Rim: DT TK540 36h
Spokes: DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0, 3-cross
Deflection mesured with Park tool: 21-22 (right), 17-18 (left)

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 12th 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

there's a dishing tool ?

loosen left while continuing lateral true, tighten rights pulling wheel to drive side then pull back and ad nauseum

see where your patience level lies

imagine and draw a bridge way supported with angled steel pillars..as with your dish.

given the two side support angles, are stresses within supports different ? and are the above bridge way weights different each side ?

Old March 12th 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/12/2015 9:40 AM, Király wrote:
I built a rear wheel. The rim manufacturer specifies 1200N maximum spoke
tension. I tigtened up the drive side spokes to that much, and the
tension on the non-drive side is less to account for wheel dish.

Did I do it right? Or is the 1200N force supposed to be average between
the drive and non-drive sides?

Hub: Shimano FH-1055
Rim: DT TK540 36h
Spokes: DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0, 3-cross
Deflection mesured with Park tool: 21-22 (right), 17-18 (left)

Yes, the specified tension is for right side rear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 12th 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

AMuzi wrote:
Yes, the specified tension is for right side rear.

Thanks to you.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 12th 15, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

wrote:
imagine and draw a bridge way supported with angled steel pillars..as
with your dish.

No thanks to you.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 12th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:23:20 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/12/2015 9:40 AM, Király wrote:
I built a rear wheel. The rim manufacturer specifies 1200N maximum spoke
tension. I tigtened up the drive side spokes to that much, and the
tension on the non-drive side is less to account for wheel dish.

Did I do it right? Or is the 1200N force supposed to be average between
the drive and non-drive sides?

Hub: Shimano FH-1055
Rim: DT TK540 36h
Spokes: DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0, 3-cross
Deflection mesured with Park tool: 21-22 (right), 17-18 (left)

Yes, the specified tension is for right side rear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#half-radial
A low tension on the non-drive side, especially with heavy load, can cause 0 tension and breaking of these spoke. Half radial can be a solution.
Old March 13th 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

:
imagine and draw a bridge way supported with angled steel pillars..as with your dish.

'No thanks to you.'

.... too much thinking ?...no prob...go to the helmet thread.

No meter here. Dish and tighten until the rim suffers from my clumsiness by not truing but rippling like ribbon candy...

then back off a bit, retrue and ride.