Was there ever a 44t Biopace OUTER ring?

Old August 18th 05, 05:40 AM
Bruce Lange

Default Was there ever a 44t Biopace OUTER ring?

I want to set up a 44/36 Shimano Biopace (original, not BiopaceII) 110 BCD
double crank.

I have a few 44t Biopace chainrings around, but they're all intended as
middle/inner rings.

Did Shimano ever make a 44t Biopace chainring intended as a big ring?
Anybody have one?

Thanks in advance,

-Bruce-

Old August 19th 05, 04:19 AM
JeffWills

Bruce Lange wrote:
I want to set up a 44/36 Shimano Biopace (original, not BiopaceII) 110 BCD
double crank.

I have a few 44t Biopace chainrings around, but they're all intended as
middle/inner rings.

Did Shimano ever make a 44t Biopace chainring intended as a big ring?
Anybody have one?

I don't think so. IIRC, Biopace and Biopace II outer rings only came in
46 and 48 teeth. If you want "close", you could try a 46/38
combination.

Jeff

Old August 22nd 05, 12:02 PM

On 18 Aug 2005 20:19:28 -0700, "JeffWills"
wrote:

---------------- clip
I don't think so. IIRC, Biopace and Biopace II outer rings only came in
46 and 48 teeth. If you want "close", you could try a 46/38
combination.

Jeff

----------------

Nonsense. I have two Shimano Biopaqce 53T outers

Rollen

Old August 22nd 05, 06:49 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old August 22nd 05, 08:36 PM
Sheldon Brown

Bruce Lange wrote:

I want to set up a 44/36 Shimano Biopace (original, not BiopaceII) 110 BCD
double crank.

I have a few 44t Biopace chainrings around, but they're all intended as
middle/inner rings.

Did Shimano ever make a 44t Biopace chainring intended as a big ring?

No. In the 110 Bolt Circle Diameter they did 46, 48 (most common) and
50 (quite rare.)

I would expect you could _use_ a 44 as an outer with no problem though.

Keep it facing the normal direction. The counterbores in the mounting
holes will then be on the wrong side, but that's no biggie.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/biopace" Brown
| I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. |
| --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 23rd 05, 04:14 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:49:41 +0000 (UTC), Booker C. Bense
. stanford.edu wrote:

wrote:

---------------- clip
I don't think so. IIRC, Biopace and Biopace II outer rings only came in
46 and 48 teeth. If you want "close", you could try a 46/38
combination.

Jeff

Nonsense. I have two Shimano Biopaqce 53T outers

_ With 110 spacing?

_ Booker C. Bense

Nope, 130.

Rollen