cheapest bike computer for non-bike project please...

Old July 26th 03, 12:35 PM
jt

Default cheapest bike computer for non-bike project please...

Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
$25.

And while price is mentioned, the local boutique bike store has a Shimano
XTR Crankset and Bottom Bracket for sale for $719 before the 15% tax.
Wonder what the total profit margin is on that item...

Old July 26th 03, 01:27 PM
Paul K. Dickman

Here, try this.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...browse=&s tor
etype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby =price1

It is also nice to have the speedo read to tenths of a klik.

Paul K. Dickman

Old July 26th 03, 02:22 PM
Bob Engelhardt

jt wrote:
What I need is just a speedo, ... cheaper is better. ...

$13.95:

http://www.cccyclery.com/sigmasp.html
Old July 26th 03, 02:25 PM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:35:45 -0300, "jt"
may have said:

Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
$25.

Locally, the bottom-of-the-line GT speedo (which meets your specs
pretty well, though it has a few bells & whistles) is available under
$15 at Academy stores. Try Wal-Mart; they may have an analog.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old July 26th 03, 04:09 PM
Doug Milliken

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:

Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
(1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this max-speed
comparison recently?

We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
1000 rpm.

Old July 26th 03, 06:08 PM
cashrefundman

jt wrote:
Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

And of course, cheaper is better. Localy the cheapest I've found is about
$25.

Got a "Hot Wheels" branded bike computer at Wal-Mart for about $10.
Still working great after 800Km, many in pouring rain.

CRM

Old July 26th 03, 06:22 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Doug Milliken" wrote in message

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, jt wrote:

Got a mini-lathe and would like a tachometer for it; some people have
converted bike speedo's working.

What I need is just a speedo, no stop watch/time of day or other fancy
stuff. It has to have a programmable wheel size, preferably in small
increments, and a magnetic trigger that I can fix to the headstock

spindle -
no ring please. The smaller the trigger the better.

Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
(1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this

max-speed
comparison recently?

We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
1000 rpm.

My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road
bike. This is something like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want
to try it.

Actually I have it for sale. It's semi-busted... the cable broke off the
mount and I've soldered it back 4 times. Computer itself is flawless...
really the mount is all that's needed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 26th 03, 07:35 PM
Doug Milliken

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

"Doug Milliken" wrote in message
Years ago we had problems finding a speedo that would read above 1000 rpm
(1000 reed-switch triggers/minute). The cheap ones would stop working
below that... maybe things are better now? Has anyone done this max-speed
comparison recently?

We needed it for an hpv with small wheels (17" OD) where 50 mph was about
1000 rpm.

My Sigma Targa Sport calculated that I once went 400.8 mph on my 700c road
bike. This is something like 5000 rpm. A bit above 1000 rpm, you may want
to try it.

Yes, that was the failure mode back then too -- erratic/nonsense readings.
We used an industrial tachometer (with reflective spot on tire) as a reference.

Old July 26th 03, 09:03 PM
Ron Thompson

I paid less than $10 including shipping. Here is the auction:
http://snurl.com/1w5s

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

Where did everyone go? Oh, yeah.
Y'all come, ya hear?
*******
news

Old July 26th 03, 09:13 PM
Joe Riel

Avocets don't use reed switches, maybe they'd be a good choice.
It might be possible to remove every other magnet from the ring
that goes on the wheel (speculation) to lower the max frequency.

Joe Riel